Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Engineer charge

Go to solution

Hello, I've been charge £85 from bt because the engineer came to visit my lane. He checked and he told it was ok and not to worry. Bt told me that i was going to be charged if my router my wires were bad (if for example i had a dog and he broke it)

I did not have any pets, my router was perfect and the engineer noticed.

Now i've been charge on my bill and i don't think it is fair to pay it. They are not answering to the phone and i can't pay that amount.

Can you please tell how can i act?

Thank you

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Engineer charge

Go to solution

What problem did you report , and whatever type fault it was , did you show the engineer problem and did the engineer see it for themselves ? , and has the problem been fixed and not returned ?.
Openreach will bill the provider ( BT in your case otherwise why would you post here ) , if there wasn’t a problem at all , or if there was a problem,  but it wasn’t anything they are responsible for , that’s why , before OR attend , the provider ( BT in your case ) will try to ensure you have proved the fault is external and not your side of the master socket, and not on your own equipment ....the dog damaging a cable is just an example of what’s not covered, it’s not the only exception.
You can ask BT what the OR engineer put on his notes for them to be satisfied that a charge is justified

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for replying me. 

At the end there was no problem, at home and outside. All regular. The only thing and that's the reason why I asked the engineer is because I had only 40mbps and not 72mbps. 

They told me i wasn't going to be charge if there was no problem or if there was. I was going to be charge only if I had broken something, which is not and it's working well as always. 

If I don't pay in 10 days probably they charge me more for something that I don't need to pay

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

So what speed do you have now ?....if your speed was below the minimum speed guarantee, then I don’t think a charge should be raised ( unless it was something you were responsible for ), if your speed was  above the minimum speed, but you insisted on a visit because you believed it should be better, the engineer visits and finds no problem, then a charge seems reasonable....did the speed stay the same after the engineer visit, or was some improvement gained ?

AFAIK, if your ISP accepts your speed isn’t what it should be, and you have eliminated your own home wiring and equipment as the cause, then they can ask OR to visit , but you shouldn’t have to pay, if it were the ISP decision to raise this investigation, not your decision  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

My speed was and is 40mbps and I'm paying for 72mbps. When the engineer came he checked with his tablet the speed and it was 72mbps. I don't have the tablet. On my phone and my laptop I've got 40mbps.

Anyway he told me there was no problem, everything was fine. 

I did not insist to have an engineer. I just asked and they told me I wasn't going to be charged if nothing was broken by myself and so if I have a problem. 

If they don't reply how can I contact them? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Please clarify some points.

Is BT your broadband provider? Did you report a fault simply on the basis that your speed was lower than 72 mbps? When reporting the fault, was your line tested before the engineer visit was arranged and what was the result? When the visit was agreed were you given the standard advice that a charge would be made if no fault was found other than with your own equipment? Are your devices connected by wifi when you get readings of 40mbps?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Yes it is bt my provider. 

Yes we checked the line by phone. They suggested me the reset and we did it. The line was fine but I had always 40mbps.

Can you explain why the engineer with his tablet had 72 mbps and me with my phone 40 mbps?

If it was fine I wasn't going to call someone being charged £85. For that they told i didn't need to pay. I would have paid only in case I had destroyed something (like router, wires etc..) but it was absolutely fine.

They record the phone calls. They can listen again. 

It's really unfair. What you are telling me is different from what they told me. 

Thanks mate 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Is 72Mb your guaranteed minimum speed ?,  Is the  speed you get always been ‘slow’ or has it reduced in a short period of time ?
Can you post your router stats , and the predicted speed from a checker site, not forgetting to obscure your phone number when you post the results.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
If the engineer was getting 72Mb sync, and displayed that to you in your home , and that’s what you were told to expect, if your own equipment cannot benefit , that could be interpreted as a wasted OR visit , which is what the charge is really about, but without knowing what you should expect and what the router is syncing at, you cannot really make a judgement

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Seems to me there are two issues.

Your broadband speed. You didn't confirm whether you are checking on devices connected by wifi, but I'll assume that is the case as one of them is a mobile. The speedtest results thus obtained are unreliable because the performance of wifi can be affected by a number of outside factors, and that's likely to be why the results obtained by the engineer at the hub are better. The speed you're paying for is not guaranteed over wifi. Have you downloaded the MyBT app to your mobile? That contains the facility to check speed at the hub. For illustration, my guaranteed speed is 56mbps; the MyBT app consistently shows 60 but online speedtests via wifi are limited to around 45.

Whether you should be charged for the visit. The caveat for free engineer visits is essentially that there must be a fault with the Openreach equipment. You will face a charge if the issue stems from a fault with your own equipment (essentially anything on your side of the test socket) or if there is no fault (which seems likely in your case). That caveat should explained in the standard advice given when an engineer visit is agreed.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

You should not be charged if no fault is found.

You should only be charged as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/getting-set-up/costs-and-charges/engineer-home-improvement-service-...