Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 39

Re: Excess Broadband Usage - complaints experience

@Suckered wrote:

"Taking the attitude of your posts, it sounds like you had a broadband package from BT and now you have found out that you having been paying over the odds for and now you think you are entitled for your money back"

Spot on! Provided a package I didn't buy, charged excess but not alerted. 

I am pretty certain "buyer beware" isn't advocated by Ofcom. Maybe it is part of your training though. Hindsight's a wonderful thing and consumers generally need protection from being too trusting.

"Working for BT is not the issue here"  

Who you are has everything to do with your posts when this site is read by consumers,  particularly if professional opinion is being relayed regarding matters of dispute;

" If BT are offering you some money back I would take it, otherwise it could cost you more money in the long run." 

To say you did'nt buy, well that sounds a bit odd, considering you've had the package for 18 months (Don't you read your BT bills?) As for not being allerted, it's your responsibility to keep an eye on your usage via the website usage tool, this also applies if you are on unlimited or not.

This forum is customer based. i.e. customer to customer and not customer to BT.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 12 of 39

Guys please keep it friendly.

If you haven't already, please follow pottyperson and Keith_Beddoe's advice and send in your details so we can look into this.

Stephanie

Highlighted
ardeejay
Message 13 of 39

My experience is identical but have only been offered a refund for the excess for the last bill - £25.

I was not notified by e-mail to my registered e-mail address (where my billing notification goes) of excessive use but to my BT internet e-mail created when I joined BT INTERNET. This facility was never used as I had an existing hotmail account.

I have complained extensively to BT Technical Support over the last 12 months and more of poor download speeds and have had a number of visits by BT engineers. My download speeds have been less than 1MB and I have been unable to use i-player because of buffering. How I exceeded my allowance is beyond me. At no time was any mention of my excess download discussed.

The following link says that regularly exceeding downloads is not possible as BT will not allow it. I think if they are making money they wil not stop it.  http://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/new-to-BT-download-limit/m-p/313837#M7821

In addition, if the notification of excess downloads had been included in the body of the billing e-mail my problem may not have gone on for well over a year.  Alternatively the unsolicited sales calls from BT encouraging me to tie myself to BT for another 18 months could have mentioned my excess and how BT could improve my position and keep my business.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 39

A useful tip for the future: In your BT internet e-mail, you could always setup a forward to your hotmail account so that any emails goto your hotmail as well.

Sorry this does not help your current problem.

0 Ratings
Suckered
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 39

Thank you

if this does go to court BT will be required to provided information on Ratty2's posts to determine whether he/she is an employee of BT, regardless of whether their participation (which looks exceptional from their overall participation in the forum) is formally encouraged by their employer. Prolific posting from an individual may suggest a endorsed role at worst. 

BT has my details to resolve this amicably.

0 Ratings
Suckered
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 39

As suspected, I am not alone.

in the space of a few hours another disgruntled customer appears. What's the probability of that? Thank you for joining the thread.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 39

Deleted by poster - no longer appropriate. 
--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 18 of 39

Guys,

Please stay on topic and keep it friendly or I will lock this thread.

Chris
BT Mod Team
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
Suckered
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 39

Why lock this thread when I am raising pertinent concerns? I have invited ratty to be silent but still he/ she persists. This thread is attracting similar experience which surely is a key objective of the forum.

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 39

I can tell you from experience that the email alert system does not work, so you would have no way of telling that you are near the usage limit, never mind exceeding it. I first noticed the excess usage in the form of more £'s on my bill. 😉

0 Ratings