cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Suckered
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 39

Excess Broadband Usage - complaints experience

I have been a BT customer for some while, registered for paperless bills, set up on BT.com with an email address of my choice prim login and primary communication and making payments by Direct Debit. BT cold called me (I am guessing around 12 to 18 months ago) same renew my package.

in December I noticed a £100 excess broadband usage added to my bill. This prompted me to look back over previous months and, sure enough, around £50 per month had been added historically. There is a limit to how far back I can look online and I called BT to complain. I could write a book on the issues and barriers around BT's complaints process but that would distract from my primary concern.

Firstly, I was sold a package I was told was limitless. This was renewed in the cold call mentioned above. It transpires I was placed on a 10gB limit. Conveniently BT have deleted recordings.

That would be manageable as BT has a fail safe (plastered across its web pages) in that they email you when approaching or exceeding limits. Wrong! They didn't send one email to the email address with which I was registered tor my account to warn me. 5 seconds after the 2nd stage of the complaints process is complete (not to my satisfaction) BT sent me may first warning. 

The 3rd stage complaint handler acknowledged how a customer could be confused by the above and offered to meet me half way on the overcharge excess costs over that period.

At no point has BT provided the summary history I had clearly requested on several occasions. This must be in the region of £790 as I was offered £395; insulting at best!

How many other customers are blissfully unaware they are exceeding their limits? What controls do BT have in place to identify and alert these customers, or is this a systematic control failure or known source of easy income?

i have been very clear in all calls of my position. I feel ripped off and subjected to poor complaints handling. BT has now acknowledged how I could be misinformed and in this position, yet still think it reasonable not to return a full refund. In a highly regulated industry I hope the regulator, ADR, press, web positings and consumer TV programme routes open to me will highlight and resolve my problem, and potentially who knows how many other customers'.

38 REPLIES 38
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 39

Re: Excess Broadband Usage - complaints experience

That's the kind of experience which tells me the time I spend checking all my bills is not completely wasted.

No promises, but the best advice here would be to contact the BT Care Team. They are the moderators who oversee this forum and will be able to look into this for you. They may take a few days to respond but you will get an immediate acknowledgement and a reference number.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Suckered
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 39

Thanks for your post... Hoping bt demonstrates some sense and ethical responsibility to customers

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 39

Sorry to play devils advocate, but I don't see how it's BTs fault that you:

1. Failed to check what package you were on in 18 months.

2. You failed to read the emails that BT send to you warning that you have exceeded your usage.

2. You failed to check the BT bills.

3. You failed to check your bank statements.

Not sure you would have a legal case, I think a judge would throw your case out and make you pay the legal costs.

0 Ratings
Suckered
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 39

And you didn't read my post properly. Thanks for taking the time to respond, I am sure you meant to be helpful

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 39

@Suckered wrote:

And you didn't read my post properly. Thanks for taking the time to respond, I am sure you meant to be helpful

Yes I did read your post properly. If you check on the Mybt site, and see the usage checker it will tell you when and whatfore they sent you the emails and also to what email address.

Could you explain where you think I did not read it properly.

0 Ratings
Suckered
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 39

"

That would be manageable as BT has a fail safe (plastered across its web pages) in that they email you when approaching or exceeding limits. Wrong! They didn't send one email to the email address with which I was registered tor my account to warn me. 5 seconds after the 2nd stage of the complaints process is complete (not to my satisfaction) BT sent me my first warning. 

"

First email alert received to my registered email account 5th Jan 2013.

If you work for BT but aren't from the customer care team (to which the previous poster kindly suggested I write) please don't get involved unless you can resolve my complaint. This was posted for help and to hopefully alert BT and its customers of a potential problem, not to be "topped".

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 39

@Suckered wrote:

"

That would be manageable as BT has a fail safe (plastered across its web pages) in that they email you when approaching or exceeding limits. Wrong! They didn't send one email to the email address with which I was registered tor my account to warn me. 5 seconds after the 2nd stage of the complaints process is complete (not to my satisfaction) BT sent me my first warning. 

"

First email alert received to my registered email account 5th Jan 2013.

If you work for BT but aren't from the customer care team (to which the previous poster kindly suggested I write) please don't get involved unless you can resolve my complaint. This was posted for help and to hopefully alert BT and its customers of a potential problem, not to be "topped".

Have you ever logged into MyBT and checked your usage? If you have you would see when and where to they send the emails, regardless of the registered email address.

Working for BT is not the issue here. Clearly you did not take personal responsibility and refuse to, that is not my fault. If BT are offering you some money back I would take it, otherwise it could cost you more money in the long run.

Taking the attitude of your posts, it sounds like you had a broadband package from BT and now you have found out that you having been paying over the odds for and now you think you are entitled for your money back, well there is a saying "buyer beware".

0 Ratings
Suckered
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 39

"Taking the attitude of your posts, it sounds like you had a broadband package from BT and now you have found out that you having been paying over the odds for and now you think you are entitled for your money back"

Spot on! Provided a package I didn't buy, charged excess but not alerted. 

I am pretty certain "buyer beware" isn't advocated by Ofcom. Maybe it is part of your training though. Hindsight's a wonderful thing and consumers generally need protection from being too trusting.

"Working for BT is not the issue here"  

Who you are has everything to do with your posts when this site is read by consumers,  particularly if professional opinion is being relayed regarding matters of dispute;

" If BT are offering you some money back I would take it, otherwise it could cost you more money in the long run." 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 39

The only people who work for BT are the forum moderators, who have the "mod" symbol against their name.

Anyone else is only expressing an opinion as a customer. You can contact one of the moderators if you wish.

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings