cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
claire_444
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Excessive BT Infinity usage after only 4 days! 38GB!

We had BT Infinity installed on 19th June, i noticed very slow speeds and i logged a fault. This has now been fixed and we're receiving 37mb download speeds, however, i've received an email saying we've nearly used our whole 40gb usage in 5 days!

How is this possible? We used to have sky broadband and never went over our usage!

I've phoned BT to cancel as this isn't what i signed up for (having to pay £5+ for every 5gb we go over) but they've said i'm in a contract - there has to be a fault or something - we cant be using that much with only browsing data on iphone, android phone and a laptop. We dont use netflix and i've only downloaded one 60 minute programme on sky's on demand service.

I've logged into the hub manager and only our devices are registered? So it can't be that someone else is using it, unless theyre using FON, which i can't currently work out how to unsubscribe from!

BT have got me cornered, i cant afford to be paying £23 for unlimited plus £15.99 line rental, that's madness! I only signed up on the £8 offer, which will go upto £16, but £23 is too much :(. 

Please help - we can't afford to pay for extra data when i know it's not us using it!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Excessive BT Infinity usage after only 4 days! 38GB!

If you go to MYBT and then check the usage monitor is the usage all download or is there a large amount upload?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
claire_444
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

It's 23gb downloaded 8gb upload, what causes uploads? Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

The most common upload would be a backup from pc/ipad/iphone/laptop etc

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
claire_444
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Ah I uploaded all my photos to Dropbox from my phone... Did forget about that! But still, when I was on the phone they said we used 4gb Thursday 10gb friday 8 Saturday 5gb Sunday. It does seem an awful lot? Considering we only browse the web from our phones excluding my one off Dropbox incident....
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Did you also set up bt cloud after getting your infinity connection?

0 Ratings
claire_444
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Hi, no I haven't set up cloud. I've been monitoring our usage since the other day and between yesterday and today we've only used 0.23gb which is a HUGE difference to the 4 5 6gb+ usage from earlier in the week, but we haven't done anything different???? Still had the laptop, iPad and 2 phones connected last night? What on earth is going on? 😞 I hope it stays low
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

fon is not counted in your usage
0 Ratings
claire_444
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

So, i thought i'd just give everyone an update.

I started tracking my usage, after many hours of phone calls to BT asking to cancel my infinity as i knew this usage was incorrect and no fault of mine as I work on computers every day and have a fair knowledge of usage, sofware, testing etc.

My last phone call complaining was on 23rd of June, and similarly that day i uninstalled BT NetProtect Plus - the Mcafee virus protection supplied by BT for infinity customers. (Note - I installed the BT netprotect plus on the day we had infinity installed - 19th june prior to that i had Mcafee for Sky customers) I uninstalled BT net protect plus, because other than having our connection served by BT and not sky, this was the only other constant that had changed.

STRANGELY - my usage DRAMATICALLY changed when it was uninstalled! See my table below - note: my usage from 19th to 23rd was provided in a break down over a telephone conversation and therefore is not as accurate as the later recordings which were recorded by logging on daily to check my BB usage via "My Account". Also note that wednesday 25th we disconnected all devices from wifi, from midnight to midnight but left the router on, as a test.

june usage 
datedaygb 
19Thursday5 
20Friday8 
21Saturday10 
22Sunday6 
23Monday3 
24Tuesday0.23 
25Wednesday0 
26Thursday0.11 
27Friday0.32 
28Saturday0.34 
29Sunday0.56 
30Monday0.28 

It seems very bizzare that we did NOT change the way we were using devices, (laptop, iphone, ipad, android phone and sky on demand connection all still connected) but our usage changed drastically when i uninstalled BT Netprotect plus.

Is this some sort of scam??? How come my usage was CRAZY high when i had BT Net protect plus installed on my laptop, (which yes, is on and connected all of the time, as it always has been since i got it a year or so ago) but since i uninstalled BT's software my usage is normal again? I have since installed Norton, and everything is working as it should.

I cannot believe BT were fobbing my off saying that this was down to my usage, and my devices, when nothing changed with our circumstances or the way we use our devices, the only difference was that i'd installed BT Netprotect plus. And if we had gone over our 40bg usage it would have been £5 per 5gb, none of which would have been our fault, and if i hadn't have used my head and tried uninstalling BT Netprotect plus then we still would have been in that mess now, paying through the eyes for unlimited and believing it was all our fault!!!

My july usage so far has been on average 0.3gb per day which is a welcome change to the 5 days i had their virus protection installed.

I think someone has some questions to answer...

0 Ratings