cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marytalbot
Message 1 of 10

Excessive upload usage

Does anyone know if there is any way I can get a history of my broadband usage?  It shot up in February from app. 18 Gb to 135GB.  I use the internet for browsing, shopping and email.  I don't play online games or watch movies.  I occasionally watch bbc iplayer but just odd half hour programmes.

I have tried Bt online help but they were less than useless, only telling me the ammount of usage, which I knew, but not what it was used for.  They eventually disconnected without being able to help at all.

I just need to know how I could possibly have used so much to prevent it happening again as they will charge me.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Excessive upload usage

this link may help
http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/information/bbusage.html
iplayer download/streams if in HDcan be quite large
you can see you current months usage by logging in to MYBT
0 Ratings
DonDino
Expert
Message 3 of 10

Other than MyBT broadband usage page, you can install any of a number of prorgams on your computer that track your usage and tell you what it is. 

As already mentioned above, iPlayer and any similar video watching can use a lot of data, more than most people would normally think. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

@Marytalbot wrote:

Does anyone know if there is any way I can get a history of my broadband usage?  It shot up in February from app. 18 Gb to 135GB.  I use the internet for browsing, shopping and email.  I don't play online games or watch movies.  I occasionally watch bbc iplayer but just odd half hour programmes.

I have tried Bt online help but they were less than useless, only telling me the ammount of usage, which I knew, but not what it was used for.  They eventually disconnected without being able to help at all.

I just need to know how I could possibly have used so much to prevent it happening again as they will charge me.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Can you pop along to :-

https://www.bt.com/broadbandusagemonitor

and see what it currently says for up/downloads separately.

You say it's upload usage, were you informed that this was the case ?

The difference is far too much to be just iplayer, and if upload, then iplayer would not even make a small dent.

Is your connection BTinfinity or "normal" broadband ?

0 Ratings
oksnab
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Hi, i believe this is still  massive problem. I am on infinity 40 G package , over the weekend received an alert that i was close to my limit . When i checked on saturday it was 36G on  sunday ie for usage upto sat midnight i was supposed to have used 123 G of which was 103G upload.. i turned off the internet sunday afternoon and checked today and its now 168 G all extra was upload.

Have spent 3 hrs on the phone to bt over the last 2 days . Extablished the upload is from my own bt email address that i dont use to my own gmail email address, have checked and the gmail address has no emails from the bt one.

Onsunday i was palmed off by bt staff to email their abuse email address which i did and have had no response.

The agent this morning promised to call me back at 5pm after investigating ..... of course i have had no call so no doubt i will spend another 1.5 hours explaining all of this again to another agent tomorrow.

If you are having similar problems please post, but also ask for detailed report of what and where the upload is coming from and going to.

If what bt have told me is correct they have a massive problem as their email system is generating the upolad i am being charged with.... the current excess usage charge is now £128  and despite my internet being turned off its increasing  at £40 per day with no end in site. I have told BT that i am not paying the bill.... so watch this space

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

do you use any cloud services for data storage
0 Ratings
oksnab
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

I have a bt cloud but dont use it , and minimal file transfer occassionally to google drive. Not 45G in a day.

Thanks for suggestion.

Anyone else sufferring similar problems?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@oksnab wrote:

Anyone else sufferring similar problems?

Do a search of the forum and you'll find numerous posts about it.

0 Ratings
famulus
Message 9 of 10

Hi oksnab - I've just noticed a similar problem today, I got an alert from BT to say I'm over 28gb yesterday (13th Jan) and now it's up to 32gb today.  28gb of that is Upload.  I'm on a 40gb contract, and haven't been over that limit since I signed up to it sometime last year.

The only upload I can think of is that I have a PCWorld cloud backup (Livedrive), but I haven't done a great deal more to be backed up this month than in the past - would Livedrive really use up 28gb upload in a couple of weeks?

Browsing other forum threads (here and elsewhere), there was some suggestion of hackers tapping in and sending out spam from other people's routers (or something of the kind).  Can anyone tell me how to monitor what's actually going out from my own systems, and what's going through the router, to see if they match?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
oksnab
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

As I never got my promised call back from the billing team I have phoned again today and registered my compliant and have been given a complaint no with a promise of a call back within 48hrs - lets see if this happens.

Besides that I learnt nothing new during my call but was supported with a call to the technical help line  (0800 111 4567). Disappointing as they have no access to the usage data so could not really advise other than suggest that it looks like someone has hacked into my email & I  should turn off my internet BT box/router at night when i have finished at night / change my paswords on my BT email ( see earlier post) . They had no suggestions on how to check the router.

doesnt say much for BTs encyption on their wireless routers?

famulus - interesting that you are experiencing a similar problem . suggest you register this with the billing team and ask for the upload data anlysis to tell you where its coming from and going to so you can see why its occurring and if its valid .

my upload was increasing at circa 45Gb per day !! ( incurring £45/day in charges 😞 )

I have now reconnected our internet , changed the passwords as instructed by BT tech Dept and wait to see what happens in tomorrows report

I too will be interested in any advise on how to check what your router is doing.

cheers

0 Ratings