Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 269

Re: Existing customers' packages from 2014 not looking good

you need to opt out/cancel the 1571 service to avoid paying

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 269

You are of course right but I would have prefered them to keep the prices the same rather than embark on this "FREE" sports which I do not want anyway.

Highlighted
eurisko
Contributor
Message 13 of 269

I am paying for one of the most expensive packages for BT Infinity and all in call package so almost all calls are free.  I found out 2 months ago that if I don't make 2 chargeable calls a month that I get surcharged £2 per call if I'm not spending anything.  That's a bit hard with an all inclusive package and minutes on my mobile.

I have no interest in BT's gimmick of buying Premier Football games in a war with Sky and pretending that the billions that would cost they are just going to give away.  I've heard the studios weren't cheap to build and neither will their poaching of ex F1 BBC presenters.

I don't want or have any interest in BT Sports and I don't want it but I bet it sure cost a lot.  So the news on caller display being charged for makes the network less attractive, privacy is breached, all phones with the function rendered useless and the TPS/Ofcom effectively nullified if you can't provide a number to them for investigation.

Now I read about being charged for a service that's not expensive to provide (like BT Sport rights/studios/presenters are) and 1571 which frankly I don't need but at one time I think I pressed the buttons instead of 1471 mean BT have my soul and think they will just AUTOMATICALLY charge me an extra £3.50 per month for the privilege.

Now let's look at the maths.  Say 10 million customers affected at £3.50 per month + VAT = £42million every billable month or those people who don't notice it on their bill.  Multiply that by 12 months and that's £504million per year.  Add on 6% average call charges, increased rental, managerial efficiencies etc they can probably make a healthy contribution to the rights to the premier league matches that a lot of people don't want.

So I've made investigations and I can move to Sky's Fibre service and save a lot of money over a contract of 12 months.  BT's is typically 18 months for Infinity.  Today, I have initiated termination of my BT contract (I am a few months out of it) and I'm moving totally to Sky within the next 7 days.  Another thing was that their call centre handling was excellent.  I spoke to BT for a client last week for a user name and password.  I made 5 calls (as I couldn't get a phone number to call via the web on my phone easily), 2 went to India and their business division cut me off.  It took me over an hour for 2 pieces of information and they still didn't understand what I needed and the reason why I needed it was because they hadn't provided me with the information beforehand.

Therefore a warning to BT trying to be smart and think that offering free Sports is going to win you the Broadband war with Sky.  In my case, and many others, it will drive us away.  I was only with BT whilst I couldn't get another fibre provider and BT has provided me with the best reason to leave them behind for good.

FYBT and goodbye.  Shame of it is, it wasn't a bad service.  I'd be interested to see what your attrition rate will be after this debacle.

0 Ratings
paddy09
Contributor
Message 14 of 269

I don't understand

"I found out 2 months ago that if I don't make 2 chargeable calls a month that I get surcharged £2 per call if I'm not spending anything.  "

I only have free weekend calls and Privacy at Home and 1571/Callar Display is free provided I make two calls per month.

Those calls can be at weekends and so are not chargeable.

The few other calls I make are through 1899 - 5p connection charge on all UK geographical numbers then talk as long as you like with no 60 minute then re-dial limits at any time

I make so few calls a month it's not worth having any sort of call package

0 Ratings
eurisko
Contributor
Message 15 of 269

I'd post up a screenshot of the bill but BT's account website is down at the moment so I can't access my account.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 269

Correct paddy09 the services are free providing you make the minimum number of calls in the billing period
0 Ratings
normanmclean
Contributor
Message 17 of 269

Having only just jumped from Talk Talk due to their price rise (been with BT a whole 3 days now I am hugely dissapointed by the price rise. MY BB is free for the first 6 months and I paid the line rental upfront so I assume the only rise affecting me will be the charges for caller display and BT Answer. I only moved to get the Sport and they wont let me get that on my TV as I got it on my iPad as soon as I signed up. Ridiculous really.

I wiish I stayed where I was, if there is anyway out I will be taking it out of principle.

0 Ratings
jrawle
Contributor
Message 18 of 269

@eurisko: I agree with everything you are saying. However, I should point out that you will still be able to find out the number of the last caller by dialling 1471 afterwards, I haven't heard that they are charging for this, only for caller display, which allows the number to show on the phone's screen as it's ringing.

As for 1571, you can ask to have that cancelled. I never have voice mail on any of my phonelines as it's simply a money-making scheme for the phone companies. If there's no answer, or the line is engaged, voicemail means the call is still answered and the caller pays for the call. If there's no voicemail, the caller doesn't pay for no answer or the engaged tone. I guess it's a sign of the times that BT are going to charge for 1571: few people actually pay for calls any more, so there's no advantage to BT from people having voicemail. Plus I absolutely hate being put through to voicemail myself. If I phone someone, I want to speak to them. If I want to leave a message, I use e-mail, or SMS. Please everyone ditch 1571!

0 Ratings
eurisko
Contributor
Message 19 of 269

Unfortunately 1471 doesn't allow for determining a sales call in advance, plus most phones convert the number into a name if it's in your directory.  If you know that it's your mother and the call will be an hour you can choose to make the call at a more appropriate time.

It doesn't apply to me (as I work for myself), but what if you're off work sick and they are trying to contact you persistently, 1471 isn't going to help you at all.

As for 1571, it's the fact that if you have ever used the service BT will auto opt you in.  Plus they are moving the onus to the customer to remember or be bothered.  To me it's more morally correct for them to allow people to opt in.  However it won't be as much of a cash cow then.

My customer experience with BT on behalf of my client was painful (taking 45 minutes to get a number, get the right number, get transferred and cut off and me call back.  On the other hand yesterday and I was surprised that Sky's was seamless. Their number isn't within my BT calling package so I got an alternate landline number for them so I made the best of my unlimited minutes on my mobile.  I note that package bundles are becoming increasingly fragmented and ITTT, so now it's back to bolt ons for every little service.

And I will reiterate I don't want BT Sport.  I have no interest in a channel I will never watch and nothing in life is ever free, so someone is paying for it irrespective of what BT say.

0 Ratings
normanmclean
Contributor
Message 20 of 269

Another thought I have just had. The lovely new BT 6500 phones they have sold me will now be rendered useless (for the purpose I bought them for anyway) unless I pay the £1.75 pm ransom demand to get that functionality back.
0 Ratings