Message 21 of 269

Re: Existing customers' packages from 2014 not looking good

deleted

0 Ratings
paddy09
Contributor
Message 22 of 269

Have a look here   http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/edw/freecallerdisplay/?s_cid=con_FURL_freecallerdispl...

Which mean that if you commit to another 12 month contract Caller Dispaly will be free BUT the charge for 1571 will still apply.

They are also implying on one hand that this is a new service, which it isn't, by stating "..from the day it launches" but then saying it's only available to 'existing BT Privacy with Caller display customers'

At least it appears that you do not need to take the Line Rental Saver if you don't want to

"Register to get BT privacy with Caller Display free for 12 months from the date it launches* (a new 12-month line rental contract applies)"
and
"Pre-register before 6th December 2013. Provision on or after 6th December 2013. Pre-registration available only to existing BT Privacy with Caller display customers - excludes customers with other varieties of Caller Display such as Caller Display as part of a Calling Features Pack. Provides BT Privacy with Caller Display free for 12 months from date of provision. A new 12 month Line Rental contract applies."

Was the last quote written by someone who used to be in the retail food business with '..other varieties of Caller Display'?  Options or types is IMHO more appropriate 

eurisko
Contributor
Message 23 of 269

So what BT are actually doing is formalising across the board that everyone gets charged.  I'll be they also charge more for insuffficient chargeable calls in addition to the caller display/1571 charges.

Might as well be called muggers.

This isn't good business.

BT screen shot of extra charges.jpg

0 Ratings
eurisko
Contributor
Message 24 of 269

Exactly, every call will say 'number unavailable' I guess. This is a cheaper service that BT Sport.
0 Ratings
eurisko
Contributor
Message 25 of 269

BT Privacy was launched in 2005 (see attached pdf of the launch page).  It was mainly to encourage people to route their calls through BT rather than alternative providers - like NTL (absorbed by Virgin).

At no point does it say that the calls have to be paid ones and can be part of a bundle.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0lDmxyDxuH0VlRGNGJ5Y0lVN00/edit?usp=sharing

So for 8 years this service has been free to prevent unsolicited sales calls and now BT want to charge.  As someone has already said, it will render a lot of equipment functionality useless.

As for 1571 everyone has an answering machine and 1571 service is only helpful if you are on the phone and someone leaves a message.  Does that mean if someone hasn't explicitly opted out nor got caught in the opted in net, do they suddenly acquire this service and therefore the associated charge without their knowledge?

I woudn't be surprised.

0 Ratings
jrawle
Contributor
Message 26 of 269

@paddy09: Thanks for that link. It seems existing BT Privacy customers will be able to get free caller display for a further 12 months as long as they commit to a new 12 month contract. That would coincide nicely with my next Line Rental Saver anyway. If I decide not to leave, it looks like I can keep caller display until I finally do leave BT!

@eurisko: Without caller display you can always wait until the phone stops ringing then dial 1471 and call back if it's an important call. If it's your mother, you can call back at a more convenient time. The only thing you can't do is find all the numbers that called while you are out - my phone currently logs these.

As for the two qualifying calls, they don't have to be chargeable calls. I never pay for any calls, but have never paid this surcharge for caller display. I make calls every month in any case, but if you don't, it would only take a minute to call a number a couple of times at the weekend (call a business you know is closed on Sunday and hang up when their answering machine kicks in; or call a bank on its geographical number from saynoto0870 and hang up when you hear the queue/menu message).

Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 269

The trouble with pre-registration is that I would be stuck with a 12 month phone contract with BT that doesn't align with my broadband contract.

At the moment, I rely on being able to negotiate a good deal every 12 months for phone and broadband.  If I take the free caller display option, my negitiating position is gone - I'll be stuck with a BT phone line long after my broadband discount ends.

0 Ratings
paddy09
Contributor
Message 28 of 269

It is still possible, albeit with ever decreasing choice, to migrate to another ISP who does not require that you take their phone services too e.g. Plusnet,Zen, EE and others

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 29 of 269

According to this article Sky Sports is also going up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
eurisko
Contributor
Message 30 of 269

@jRawle I would refer you to my posted screenshot and the word CHARGEABLE is in the text. Therefore please read the post before you answer. If you've never been surcharged then lucky you, but I already pay the max BT Infinity and caller package and then I get mugged for another surcharge. I have VOIP for my business line which is how I can separate my calls. I really cannot understand how you missed from my post that the CALL has to be chargeable. Am I reading my bill incorrectly? No.

0 Ratings