Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paddy09
Contributor
Message 61 of 269

Re: Existing customers' packages from 2014 not looking goodby

@eurisko wrote:

The story was covered (not well) on BBC Watchdog this evening (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03c7q62/Watchdog_Series_32_Episode_3/).  They didn't emphasise that the charge applied to each service, not a total cost for both.

From about 48minutes in.

About 25 seconds coverage, not well explained and at odds with the BT 'letter' regarding the services being opt-in

0 Ratings
MagicCottage
Aspiring Expert
Message 62 of 269

Re: Existing customers' packages from 2014 not looking goodbye

@thegrail wrote:

Spoke to nice gentleman at BT on Monday regarding cost for 1571 and caller ID. He suggested buying a home phone with an answerphone to take messages and to sign up for the years commitment to BT to get call ID for free.

I ordered an upgrade of my broadband to Infinity 2 last week, but then saw about the increases and decided to cancel and stay with copper broadband until I could review the cost options for BT and other suppliers. I've just finished my free 6 months so was about to start paying anyway.

Now that I have the chance to cancel my deal with BT I will probably do so - the only real reason I chose BT originally was the free caller ID and 1571 that other companies charged for. Other companies also now offer the option to pay for a years line rental in advance - my reasons for staying with BT have been eroded (and I do not want BT Sport).

When I asked about why the price was going up it was because Virgin had put their prices up. Apparently the decision to put prices up had been taken by people "higher up the BT organisation" and there was nothing he could do about it - I assume those "higher up" are quite happy to lose business? 

I've created my cost model and unfortunately (for BT) almost everyone else will be cheaper than BT (except Virgin) and I can get fibre from other companies at the same price as copper broadband from BT.

As I have said in a previous post, they will not lose business. The vast majority of customers will get their letters which will end up in the bin because they know that is the easier option that calling BT and sitting in a queue for 30 minutes.

0 Ratings
thegrail
Contributor
Message 63 of 269

@MagicCottage - well - they will be losing my business unless they come up with a really attractive offer to convince me to stay.
0 Ratings
Rainsberger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 64 of 269

Hi Guys

BT has been in my family since we had our first phone back in the 70's but when my contract

for BT Sport and TV Essential + the extra channels end next September i will finish with BT for

good.

I have been enjoying a special discount rate for my broadband and BT infinity for being a loyal

long time customer, when i ordered BT Sport and TV Essential nobody from BT told me i would

lose my special discount rates.

I cannot afford payments of £60 per month even before the plan increase in January although i

will have to find them somehow until my current contract ends.

If this is the way BT look after there long term customers i will not be the only one finishing  with BT.

I'm not even worried about BT Sport or TV Essential would cancell them today if i could just to

keep my special discount rate which i value more then sport and TV sad days my friends Bt will soon

lose even more customers with January's planed increases.

0 Ratings
stewdaviesuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 65 of 269

I phoned BT yesterday as I had not realised I am on a legacy tariff Total Broadband Option 3, paying £26 a month, which is the same price as Infinity, which I cannot get. I asked about the letters being sent and they told me they wont be sent until December then i will have 10 days to cancel. Unfortunately I am out of the country for most of December so may be able to get in touch with them.

0 Ratings
Tillytrotter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 66 of 269

I went onto a pay monthly tarrif as last year BT wanted to up my DD from £40 to £90. The bills have averaged out at about £40.

This was ok, bill usually available about the 28th, taken anywhere between the 6th to the 10th , on the latest bill the date was the 3rd and as I had other large commitments had to cancell this but rang customer services to explain.

I also asked, at this time why the information regarding the call charges was "hidden" she did not seem to know the answer to that!

I then asked if I was still in any form of contract and it would appear not but she could do me a deal for a monthly charge of £35.I declined so I could see what other deals were out there.

This done I rsng agsin to get my MAC code this time a male with a very broad accent!

He was very sorry etc and asked if he could look at my account again , initially he came up with a figure of £25 then put me on hold then said he could do a deal for £34.01. He also said that another provider would be unlikely to upgrade my internet connection when they (BT)upgraded the exchange.

When I asked why the jump he told me it was because of my account "history".

Again declined, phoned yet again and have requested my MAC code.

Just found the forum and it would seem unless you are are a little aware BT , will rise your prices, I have no wish for sport and could not get it even if I wished as my connecton is too slow, why do we that do not want it have to pay, someone else has said nothing is "free" in this life and this is true.

They dont serm to care that they will, potentially, be losing a lot of custom

0 Ratings
Highlighted
rml123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 67 of 269

Jan 2014 price rises are confusing re:1571

Hi

Could anyone help with my query regarding the new charges for BT Answer 1571 and BT Privacy with Caller Display? I have just tried the BT Live Chat and their response was worse than hopeless.

I have the Unlimited Anytime Call package. It includes three BT Calling Features: BT Privacy at Home, BT Answer 1571 Voicemail and BT 1471. I understand that line rental is increasing, but it says that there is no change to the cost of my calling plan.

It also says that there are new charges. £1.75 for BT Answer 1571 and £1.75 for BT Privacy with Caller Display.

Does this mean i will now get charged extra for my calling features from Jan 2014?

thanks ...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 68 of 269

Re: Jan 2014 price rises are confusing re:1571

you can read this  which will help http://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Existing-customers-packages-from-2014-not-looking-good/td-...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rml123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 69 of 269

Re: Jan 2014 price rises are confusing re:1571

Hi

Thanks for the reply but it's hard to understand from a general conversation thread the answer to my specific case as there are lots of people talking about their own cases.

Will I get charged extra from Jan 2014, if so how much and why does it say the cost of my plan is "unchanged"? If I do get charged extra, can i remove these options before the charges come in? What about 1471, is that still free?

thanks ...

0 Ratings
alansmith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 70 of 269

I signed up for an 18 month broadband package in July this year and at the same time paid upfront for 12 months line rental.

I just used the BT online chat facility to find out if the charge increases in January affect me.

They said that because I was still in contract, they would not affect me. The 1571 and Caller Display would only be chargable once my line rental was up ( in July 2014 ), and the 6.5% increase in broadband charges would not affect me until my current 18 month contract was up ( January 2015 )

Still not convinced this is correct ... would like to see it in print somewhere !!!

0 Ratings