cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 261 of 269

Re: Changes to your BT account from 4th January 2014

BT's Residential Standard Terms allow for these increases and permit termination of your contract without penalty if you wish (see extract below).

Price increases have been routine in early January for several years with the same procedure (except that the time allowed for cancellation has just increased from 10 days to 30 in line with Ofcom requirements) so it's surprising that this has not been an issue for you before now.

Capture.JPG

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
devbias
Contributor
Message 262 of 269

Re: Changes to your BT account from 4th January 2014

I have never had a price rise during an agreed contract period.
Once the contracted agreement has finished, "yes" of course I have had price rises over the 25 years I've been with BT.
To place a small clause into the new contracted term to allow BT to increase the price without giving the customer the option to withdraw from the contract without penalty is a DIRTY TRICK to trap customers.
I know the energy providers have got away with this for a few years but energy prices are very volatile so can be accepted somewhat.
One famous telecommunications Company introduced this attic a couple of years ago and at that time customers didn't scrutinise their bills back then so they got away with it for a period.
The consumer is a lot more savvy with the current climate and social media so I expect BT to loose customers in droves just like the other Company I refer to are doing now but for litigation reasons will not name.

BT has scored a huge own goal here in more ways than one.
0 Ratings
Message 263 of 269

Re: Existing customers' packages from 2014 not looking good

@devbias. Did you take up the offer of free BT Sports HD? This was a 12 month deal. Normally £3/month.
0 Ratings
devbias
Contributor
Message 264 of 269

@devbias. Did you take up the offer of free BT Sports HD? This was a 12 month deal. Normally £3/month.

Yes I did but dont use it at all.
Having looked through my options I can see no reason to stay with BT after my 18 month contract has expired.
The service is poor
The customer service based over seas is shocking !! (The worst I have ever had to speak to)
How can BT raise my broadband mid term from £16PM to £17.03PM mid contract yet still have the same package offered on BT web site for £16PM. I suspect this will happen to all customers mid contract and has been well discussed on other forums.
Unfortunately i wasn't aware of the tactics which were being used by BT to lure customers into a contract and then increase prices. I do now and have found many forums threads discussing this ploy.
Here is my breakdown so you can take to the open market to see how poor of a deal you eventually get.

Broadband £17.03
Line rental. £15.99
Caller I'd £1.75
Total £34.77 PM direct debit plus call charges with a call set up fee of 14.76p per call.
Text messages are now also charged and no longer included in the call plans
I make less than 10 calls a month for a bill of over £40PM

Oh I forgot the benefits
Free BT weekend calls & BT sport for 12 months if you have the equipment.
BT smart talk which sounds like an excellent service but very rarely works.

To be truthful the only thing I will miss is BT FON but I suspect that will be more difficult to obtain out and about as it relies on other BT customers routers and with fewer customers there will be fewer wifi spots available anyway.

I'm the last of my family members to move away from BT but I suppose we all have a different level of tolerance.
jamesash
Beginner
Message 265 of 269

I've just got my latest bill. I knew that line rental had risen to £16.99/month but not that my Infinity2 has gone up from £26/month to £27.65. When the mobile phone operators raise prices mid contract the regulator says people have the right to cancel their contrats without penalty as it is so unfair...why not here?

Also, just to add insult, the BT website still offers NEW customers my package at the previous price of £26/month. What is that all about???? Pretty peeved. I'm paying £2.65/month + vat extra..when I negotiated my contract renewal it was on the basis of a fixed price. This stinks!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 266 of 269

You should have had a notification many weeks ago of the impending price rise, and it would have given you the option of cancelling your contract without penalty within 10 days of the notice.

I don't defend it, but offering preferential terms to attract new customers is common practice amongst service providers.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
devbias
Contributor
Message 267 of 269

10 days notice is an insult even if you happen to see the notice on the day it is sent.
This is a dirty trick copied by BT from another big provider loosing customers hand over fist.
Only difference is that at least that provider has customer call centres based in the British Isles.
Move away and become a constant new customer with a provider that doesn't exploit existing customers, you won't regret it !!
0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 268 of 269

@jamesash wrote:

Also, just to add insult, the BT website still offers NEW customers my package at the previous price of £26/month. What is that all about???? Pretty peeved. I'm paying £2.65/month + vat extra..

BT are very good at hiding their ongoing prices. It is sneaky in my opinion.

This much is clear on the website:

Unlimited BT Infinity 2 + Weekend Calls

£20 a month for 3 mths

then £26 /mth for 15 mths

But that's not the end of the story. If you drill down to the well-hidden T&C, you will see "From month 19 you'll pay £28 a month".

The other ISPs don't hide their regular ongoing price in this manner. But as you can see, there is a subtle £2 increase at the end of the minimum term.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 269 of 269

Is there any evidence of BT using the same "retention" tricks as the mobile phone operators? Over the past couple of years I have dragged my monthly bill with Orange (now EE) down from >£25 to <£6. (First I bought my own phone, then I threatened to move and got as far as getting a new SIM.)

I just start the "I'm out of here" process only to get a phone call matching the deals I have found elsewhere.

It really is time for Ofcom to stomp on all those bundles that make it impossible to work out real costs and tie your broadband access to line rental.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings