cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matt-h
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Extreme price hike after contract ending. £28.99 to £54.99 ? Ripping off customers ??

BT = Blatant Theft.

BT, how do you justify upping an existing customers - very soon to be ex after the BT customer service call I had today - from £28.99 to £54.99 with no warning ??? Even with a warning, how do you justify that huge hike for exactly the same service ???? You're crooks... I thought I was on a 18mth contract, wasn't until I randomly checked my bill I notice you have been taking £54.99pm from my account without my consent. Thieves.

Tried live chat where I was fobbed off with a phone number to call, then the chat abruptly ended by the agent whilst I was still typing a message because he couldn't be bothered to deal with it. You'd already had my money so what do you care right.

Called the number that was given & wasn't even the right number grrr. Finally get to speak to somebody who constantly talks over me & says in a very smug manner "You're contract ended in june, you were only 12mths & since then you are now being charged the full price of £54.99, & no I'm not giving you your money back & if you want a good price you need to start a new contract".. What a slap in the face to a once loyal customers. Steal from me then straight after try & get me back as a new customer on a new contract ??? Your policy sucks & you have seriously taken the mick. BT, you suck & will never, from this day on, get a good word uttered from my lips about you. Your customer service is appalling & your reciprocated loyalty to customers is non existent.

To all who are reading, BE WARNED. If you're thinking of joining, don't. If existing, leave as BT don't give a hoot & will rip you off just as soon as they can, that I can promise you.... Plenty of other broadband deals out there.   

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Extreme price hike after contract ending. £28.99 to £54.99 ? Ripping off customers ??

I think you are ranting about something that is your own doing and not BT being crooks or thieves.

It would appear that the information you were given was correct.

You would have been sent an email when you first took out your contract telling you how long it was for and when it would end.

If your contract ends and you do not re-contract your package price goes to the full price with no discount that you may have had which is what would appear to have  happened to you.

Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 19

Re: Extreme price hike after contract ending. £28.99 to £54.99 ? Ripping off customers ??

BT do make it clear what the price will be when your contract ends, and what the contract length is. 

"Plenty of other broadband deals out there" - indeed there are but they, as with BT, are offering introductory prices that will increase substantially at the end of the contract.

All you had to do was phone BT a month or so before your contract ended and see what they could offer you.

Highlighted
matt-h
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

I think you are ranting about something that is your own doing and not BT being crooks or thieves - As I put in my post, I thought I had an 18mth contract. BT are crooks & thieves for taking money I never consented to. Instead of taking more money than was agreed, they should of stopped my service as soon as my contracted had ended.

You would have been sent an email when you first took out your contract telling you how long it was for and when it would end - That was over 12mths ago. BT SHOULD be sending this information out just before a contract ends, not falling back on "well we told you a year ago". That's the crook part. BT know people forget, are busy, or just don't realise & they rely on that to claw in that little extra revenue & stick two fingers up to ex customers, & then another two when customers question the extreme hike. Also, BT shouldn't automatically keep you connected charging extortionate rates once a contract has ended. I never agreed to it & my silence should not be taken as a yes give me a rip off service.

If your contract ends and you do not re-contract your package price goes to the full price with no discount that you may have had which is what would appear to have  happened to you - Gee, thanks for stating the blindingly obvious. I do realise this, what I'm peed about is the response I had from BT & the fact they don't give a damn about their customers & are more than happy to rip them off & tell them to sod off once a contract has ended. 

BT knows this is bad practice & controversial. I found out after a uswitch email warning me about the extortionate hike so thousands have been caught out by this, & BT saying "we told you at the start" & shrugging shoulders is an unacceptable response & what caused my post.

BT customer service is disgusting. Rip you off big time just as soon as they can.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 19

I don’t agree with your rant, but I do agree that customers contract end dates should be readily available in MY BT and that BT should inform its customers when their contract is coming to an end with a reminder of what the new charges are going forward.

Stew

0 Ratings
matt-h
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

When you believe you are on a 18mth contract why would you check up on it at 11mths ?.. Warnings of contracts ending should be sent out just before they are due to expire, with a brief explanation of the cost increase, not automatically switching customers to a 'full' rip off price & that's my issue. I never asked for that service at that price & therefor my connection should of ceased. Once contract had ended, connection should of ended. My other issue is the seriously smug reply you get when you contact support & a shrug shoulders of "not our problem", very much like you just did. That's the whole attitude of BT towards ex customers, just don't care.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 19

@matt-hwrote:

My other issue is the seriously smug reply you get when you contact support & a shrug shoulders of "not our problem", very much like you just did. That's the whole attitude of BT towards ex customers, just don't care.

Wow, I am a BT customer just like you. Just because someone doesn’t agree with you.

Stew

0 Ratings
matt-h
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

I never replied to you, Stew, so not sure why you put "wow just because somebody doesn't agree with you"..... Yes I am annoyed that as a current/previous customer I've been treated like this. BT are the worst for this kind of practice. According to uSwitch's data, consumers who take broadband from BT saw the biggest price increases, with their bills going up by £246 a year. How is that right, or fair. It's sneaky & a big slap in the face & people need to be made more aware.
0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 19

Your bill does show the full price, the amount of discount and how long the discount lasts for. They could make it better by adding 'Your contract expires on xx.xx.xxxx' but the information is essentially there already.

With online billing, direct debits etc people tend not to check their bills in the same way that we did 40 odd years ago.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

@matt-h wrote:

I think you are ranting about something that is your own doing and not BT being crooks or thieves - As I put in my post, I thought I had an 18mth contract. It is not BT's fault that you "thought" it was 18 months. You are the one who is at fault. You should have paid more attention to what you agreed to when you started your minimum term contract. BT are crooks & thieves for taking money I never consented to. You did consent to it when you agreed to the minimum term contract. It clearly states that the discount will cease at the end of the minimum term. Instead of taking more money than was agreed, they should of stopped my service as soon as my contracted had ended. Your contract has not ended it is the the minimum term that you have to stay with BT inorder to get the package at a discount that has ended. You are still in contract with BT, only instead of having to wait until the end of the minimum term you can leave BT by giving 14 days notice. They do not cut you off because you have not told them to.

You would have been sent an email when you first took out your contract telling you how long it was for and when it would end - That was over 12mths ago. You should have read it and noted the end of the minimum term date. It is you who signed into that agreement. BT SHOULD be sending this information out just before a contract ends, not falling back on "well we told you a year ago". That's the crook part. Nothing crooked. You agreed to it and you are still in contract, just not a minimum term.  BT know people forget, are busy, or just don't realise & they rely on that to claw in that little extra revenue & stick two fingers up to ex customers, & then another two when customers question the extreme hike. It is not a price hike. Your package has always cost that but because you were on a minimum term contract you got a discount for as long as the minimum term lasted. This would be shown when signed up and in all your monthly bills. Also, BT shouldn't automatically keep you connected charging extortionate rates once a contract has ended. I never agreed to it & my silence should not be taken as a yes give me a rip off service. You did not tell BT you wanted to end their service. You are free to do this at any time even when in the minimum term but in that case it would cost you cancellation fees because you would be breaking the minimum term.

If your contract ends and you do not re-contract your package price goes to the full price with no discount that you may have had which is what would appear to have  happened to you - Gee, thanks for stating the blindingly obvious. If it is blindingly obvious to you why are you moaning about it! I do realise this, what I'm peed about is the response I had from BT & the fact they don't give a damn about their customers & are more than happy to rip them off & tell them to sod off once a contract has ended. BT are not ripping you off. If you agreed to a new minimum term you would get a discount, if you don't want to be tied to a minimum term you are not given a discount. 

BT knows this is bad practice & controversial. I found out after a uswitch email warning me about the extortionate hike so thousands have been caught out by this, & BT saying "we told you at the start" & shrugging shoulders is an unacceptable response & what caused my post.

BT customer service is disgusting. Rip you off big time just as soon as they can.

0 Ratings