cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 19

Re: Extreme price hike after contract ending. £28.99 to £54.99 ? Ripping off customers ??

@matt-h wrote:

When you believe you are on a 18mth contract why would you check up on it at 11mths ?.. Warnings of contracts ending should be sent out just before they are due to expire, with a brief explanation of the cost increase, not automatically switching customers to a 'full' rip off price & that's my issue. I never asked for that service at that price & therefor my connection should of ceased. You did agree to that price when you first signed up to BT, you also agreed to getting a discount for the minimum term, in your case 12 months before reverting to the full price. Once contract had ended, connection should of ended.You contract has not ended, it is only the minimum term that has ended. My other issue is the seriously smug reply you get when you contact support & a shrug shoulders of "not our problem", very much like you just did. I am not being smug. I am just pointing out that you are ranting about something of your own doing because you would appear to have not read what you were getting into. That's the whole attitude of BT towards ex customers, just don't care.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 19

Re: Extreme price hike after contract ending. £28.99 to £54.99 ? Ripping off customers ??

@matt-h wrote:
... until I randomly checked my bill ...

That's the key phrase. I check every month that the amounts taken under all my payment authorities are what I expect them to be; it takes very little time to ensure that anything that's gone wrong, my fault or theirs, can be attended to before it gets out of hand. Call me smug if you like, and my response will be that I've never had to rant about imaginary crooks and thieves.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
drnh
Message 13 of 19

I'm baffled by your rant. You seem quite sensible to me. But you are ranting about your own failings. I'm a BT customer and have been for years. You ARE clearly told that your contract has a discount term in months and the price is set for that time. You are also told the price when it ends. You also get an email with the terms and conditions. Where have BT gone wrong? You didn't listen or make a note, totally your own fault that you ended up paying more. Like others have said, if you made a note to contact them before the contract end you wouldn't have paid anything extra. Same as ANY provider. They all have a discounted contract prices. Its not up to a company to babysit its customers. You need to take responsibility for yourself with these issues. As frustrating as it may be, it is absolutely not the companies fault. It's irrelevant how much the price rises, you wouldn't have had to pay anything extra at all if you had contacted them to recontract. BT are no different than any other provider with this. There is a massive issue these days with people blaming everyone but themselves. Take responsibility for yourself and you'll avoid all of these type of issues.
0 Ratings
matt-h
Beginner
Message 14 of 19

You all defend BT but I have had nothing but hassle with them. My original post was nearly a year ago, today I am still fighting with them over the same issue. You cannot tell me that is not a disgusting service. My last bill was still £54.99, just as it has been every month even though being promised a £27.99 deal. I've made countless calls, each time I am promised it will be sorted, but nope. I've made complaints that get closed without the issue resolved. I've asked to speak to managers who never call back. Currently BT have admitted they owe me a minimum of £200 in over charges and this was promised to me over a month ago and I am still waiting, I've called and complained a few times since then, promised yet again a manager will call but nothing, and I still don't have my refund, and your guess is as good as mine as to how much I will be charged next month. I see no other option but take them to court.

"There is a massive issue these days with people blaming everyone but themselves" - No, I do take responsibility for my actions thank you, I just don't like being fleeced by companies, the whole prices charges out of contract thing is a con and I will never defend companies doing it. And this is not the first major issue I have had with BT, and as proves above in my latest 'rant', BT are an absolutely disgraceful company.

Nearly a year on and I am still fighting the very same issue, and now you pop up to defend them and bash me - smh.

0 Ratings
drnh
Message 15 of 19

You haven't been "fleeced" from what you wrote. You simply went in to your out of contract pricing. You, like me and everyone else, decide to enter that contract with your own free will... You accept the terms and conditions stated in said contract. Having customers in a contract means the company have a future cash flow forecast which allows then to invest to improve their services, for all customers in an industry that changes rapidly. This is why this type of business need to have contract terms. You said they are theives, which they are not. They've clearly stated everything to you when you accepted the price and the contract. Why do they owe you money? What overcharges have you been paying? If it is out of contract prices then they owe you nothing. If it's incorrect billing then they do. You I say it has been going on for a year, if you are absolutely sure you have been unfairly charged excess pricing then take your complaint to offcom. BT as well as all other providers are registered with them and have a code of conduct to follow. If you have a new deal you will also have a confirmation email, like I get, everytime I get a new deal. Nobody is bashing you at all but merely reacting to what you have wrote in your post.
0 Ratings
matt-h
Beginner
Message 16 of 19

Good view up there on your pedestal.

"You said they are theives, which they are not. They've clearly stated everything to you when you accepted the price and the contract. Why do they owe you money?" - Seriously ?... You completely missed the point in my last message regarding the latest issue with this huh. Tbh I am not even sure why you are commentating on such an old post ? but yes, they are thieves. Nearly a year ago and same time as my original 'rant' I agreed an 18mth contract with them for £27.99, but every month I have been paying £54.99. So yes, they are fleecing me and thieving from me. I call, I complain, I am promised it is sorted but it never is. That is why they owe me money. Money they have agreed they owe but have still not payed back. It was over a month ago they agreed they would, they said they would do it straight away but nope. Lies all the time.

"You I say it has been going on for a year, if you are absolutely sure" - Hmm, the past year I could of just been dreaming about all the calls to them I suppose..... If I'm sure lol. Wow.

I appreciate your input but it's a year old post, which yes is ongoing, but still a year old. Unless you work for BT I don't see anything to gain from this. You've not stated anything I didn't already know or that hasn't already been said. I am entitled to have a rant on here warning others to how bad BT have been FOR ME, lucky you got a reminder email about your contract ending, that's something I never had, my bill got upped with no warning, and the huge £54.99 hike for the most basic package is what I was angry about, and it's been nothing but a problem ever since trying to sort it out.

Anyway I honestly don't see how your comments are remotely helpful so I thank you, but sorry I don't agree with your views that BT are good. Thanks and good day to you o/   

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 19

Although I thought your original post was not well judged, I'm surprised that things still appear not to be on track. I'm asking the forum moderators (BT staff) if they can help identify where the problem lies; they will post private contact info here later.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
drnh
Message 18 of 19

I don't work for BT but have always found them really good and very helpful should any issues arise. You are absolutely right to be annoyed and frustrated, nothing wrong with that at all. But your heading was "ripping off customers" that is very unfair to a company when they haven't actually done that.

I have no idea why you are having so much trouble rectifying your issues with them. Unless, of course, you are trying to recoup correct charges. It won't happen. I know that's harsh but it's the truth. Like I said though, if you have indeed been incorrectly or unfairly charged you should be compensated for this. That is absolutely, 100% their fault. Being helpful was remind you that they are monitored by Offcom. You have complete back up from them. If you are getting nowhere with BT then just have Offcom step in and help. That's what they are there for.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Hi @matt-h 

Thanks for your posts and welcome back!

I understand that you're unhappy with the cost of your package after your contract had expired.  I'm disappointed to see that this still isn't sorted out as you started this thread almost a year ago.  I'm sorry this has gone on for so long.

Have you had a word with our value team?  You can reach them on 0800 800 150.  Try giving them a call when you get the chance and post back to let me know how you get on.  I don't understand why this isn't sorted as it should be straightforward.  If you're still having problems getting this sorted after you call the number post back and we'll pick this up for you.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”