Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

FAKE BILLING EMAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello today i have received this email. I have my witts about me so have clicked no of the links on it I am sharing here for all an then blocking an deleating it Smiley Happy please note i have disabled the link here !!!!

Your billing information on file

Dear Customer,

This e-mail has been sent to you by BT Internet to inform you that we were unable to process your most recent payment of bill. This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information. (eg: billing address, phone)
2. Submitting incorrect information during bill payment process.

Due to this, to ensure that your service is not interrupted, we request you to confirm and update your billing information today 
by clicking here

If you have already confirmed your billing information then please disregard this message as we are processing the changes you have made.

Thanks for your co-operation.

BT Billing Department

Accounts management as outlined in our user agreement, BT® will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements.

BE ALERT BE AWARE !!!

Re: FAKE BILLING EMAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the "Heads Up"

Distinguished Guru

Re: FAKE BILLING EMAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had this email as well. It's anyone's guess how mails such as this get through the BT Yahoo spam filters.

As with so many phishing emails, the poor grammar is the give-away.
Contributor

Ecotophile - yes, the poor grammar is always one to spot in these fake emails. Also, dubious-sounding departments and (mis)use of brand names. Both are in evidence in this one.
Expert

[ Edited ]

Outlook Express here is set to send and read in Plain Text, not HTML.

If BT were to act really responsibly, practice the mantra they preach that "our customers' security is of the utmost importance to us", and send their own genuine billing and other emails in Plain Text, then they would be helping to reduce the proliferation of such scams and phishing attempts.

But it appears they feel it is more important to follow the crowd, and tart themselves up with all that HTML eye-candy, thereby encouraging customers to use HTML mode rather than Plain Text.

I just received this message today and am shocked to see it's been circulating since July 2011, if not before.
Guru

cathbal66 wrote:
I just received this message today and am shocked to see it's been circulating since July 2011, if not before.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

These fake billing enails, all sorts of bank account "verification" emails, various online retailers "unknown activity" emails, lottery scams, tax repayment etc have been going around for many years.

They are pure phish emails in the hope to get real user details to get personal details, credit card stuff and all sorts of things to enable spamming to pretend to be from real people, identity fraud and scams to extract money from people.

Unfortunately many do fall for it, including some who you may think would be more aware. These criminals make 10s of millions of pounds a year from this, so rather than it dropping off - there will still be some who get caught out. This is the reason they will keep coming.

Evening All, Guess what I got today Smiley Surprised....... I got one a few months back which was sent to my spam box and didn't really worry me as I already knew my bill payment had gone through with no problems (but I did phone bt and double check)

Today's one though ended up in my inbox and following a friends advice I right clicked on the senders name before opened it and looked at the header infomation and saw that the senders address appeared to match the legitimate ones I get from ebilling... so I opened it.... and then sent it straight to spam!!!!

My concern now is why it didn't get routed to my spam box immediately along with the 11 bank ones, the 4 insurance/inheritance ones, the lottery one and the one from the very nice man at the FBI who is concerned I may be missing out on claiming my lottery winnings as I am not deceased Smiley LOL

Aspiring Contributor

The best way to determine if any of these type of email are real or not is to see how they address you.  Dear Customer! Ha! Any real organisation will know your actual name and will address you with that.  Most will also include a snippet of information (last 4 digits of phone number/account number, or bit of postcode) to show they really do know who you are.

And anyway, if your payment fails you get a real letter in the post to remind you, not a poorly worded email (NOT that I'm speaking from experience).

Distinguished Guru

Actually, a better clue can often be got by hovering over the link you're being invited to use (don't click). This causes the address to pop up at the bottom of the screen, and it should be possible to spot that it's not genuine. 

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.