(IT/telephony technician by trade; won't claim to know it all, or anywhere near, but I do troubleshoot/diagnose/resolve for a living)
Recently moved to a property with existing line; for some reason, it took 11 days to make the switch but was happy to wait. Flat is above my wife's pub, so wanted to be sure that no business-critical lines were touched in any way (as they were during the previous move - got in trouble for that one...!) - otherwise it's just the one NTE5 master socket, one ADSL filter and one homehub4, nice n' simple.
It's now been over a month, and I still have no service.
(To clarify: homeHub4 consistently displays 'no connection'error - solid orange power light and flashing red broadband light - regardless of attempted fix; plugging known working phone directly into test port produces no dial tone. Probable dead line from minimal diagnostics.)
On phone and/or livechat to support daily for nearly two weeks now. Same procedural checks each time (hub power-cycling, hub reset, test port, we'll send new h- oh we've already sent you new hubs? Power-cycle/reset those, try another known working ADSL filter, try another known working RJ11 cable, etc.) followed by the dreaded twenty-minute generic "line checks" (between exchange and property, I assume).
I've had all sorts of conflicting reports from these line checks, most of whom finish with 'the line is fine' and that a 'connected' HomeHub4 is visible on the other end. Two separate reps claimed to see the MAC addresses/serial numbers of the hubs I had plugged in (that I had stupidly given to them pre-linecheck); others claimed they couldn't see any details at all. Once, I even unplugged everything at the ADSL filter and still got "Your line's fine; I can see your homehub4". If it's got to the point of users lying to perform their own diagnostics, you probably need to rethink your SLA.
I've had two separate engineer callouts fail to turn up; I've had four separate fault calls logged and then closed for no reason and definitely without my consent; I'm yet to hear anything back about my logged complaint. The only thing I can think of is that they've assigned an incorrect line number to my account and we're running loads of tests on some poor **bleep**'s hub next door, because I can't believe for a second that any company could get away with such atrocious problem resolution and customer service.
This won't get resolved until I physically get someone from OpenReach to the property and point to the socket like I'm scolding a puppy for its poop (in this case, the poop is permanent and the puppy never shows up). My mouse is currently hovering over Sky's SwitchSquad contact details.
Assuming I'm not in a Groundhog Day remake and that BT cares about its users, can anyone (please oh please for the love of Jimmy Page please) help me?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Is this a BT Business line you are having problems with?
Sky also use Openreach, as do most other providers.
Cheers for the speedy reply, Keith; much appreciated,
As far as I'm aware, it's a 'personal' line that goes into the property above the business. Have checked that the numbers of the business' lines differ from the one I was given, so thankfully we're currently avoiding any accidental line takeovers.
My account was simply assigned a number (presumably by the Movers team) during switchover on 16/01/2017. All inquries and tests have related to this line number, and - as the customer reps' reports differ from what I can see my end - I can only assume the number's incorrect.
Happy to give any and all details (account #, line #, hub MAC address) if useful?
I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.
I gave your mobile number a quick call. I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you. I've been keeping an eye on the fault report and I can see that the engineer has identified an issue on the local network and has marked the fault as resolved.
Can you test the service and let me know if you are still experiencing an issues?
Hi Paddy; apologies, I've been unable to take your calls,
Haven't been able to run any extensive tests, but can confirm that the line is now working. Engineer callout confirmed my suspicions - the line was mis-patched at the exchange, and we were testing some other poor **bleep**'s line for several weeks. A few quick speedtests gives 3 and 0.8Mbps down/up respectively with ~20ms ping; will let it settle.
I'd like to thank the mods here for responding to and resolving the issue appropriately and in good time (though it's a shame this good service doesn't extend to BT's actual phone/livechat support). Big thanks also to the OpenReach engineer (local chap called Toby) who was brilliant, friendly and knowledgeable.
Happy to confirm that fault calls can now be closed.