Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JPR1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

FTTP = A Saga of Disappointment & Confusion

Hi all, 

This is a saga that goes nowhere and leaves me, well, nowhere.

Back in October 2020, I kicked off the less than exciting task of transferring utilities to a new property but was dazzled to find that my new home could support FTTP - I was moving from somewhere that had an average download speed of 15mb so you can imagine my excitement.

BT offered to switch my package over to the holy grail of connections and I jumped at the opportunity, particularly as my previous connection made working from home a little tedious. 

Here's a little timeline of events to orientate you around events...

• 27/10/20 – Request to transfer services made 
  • 10/11/20 – Move day but sadly there was a wait for the Fibre engineer so I was going to do without for a while
  • 11/11/20 – It soon became apparent my GiffGaff signal was too poor to tether my PC from so BT kindly popped over a MiFi dongle to keep me ticking over (unfortunately the signal was too poor to be effective)
  • 25/11/20 – FTTP day arrived but a blockage further down the road prevented the installation going ahead. A dig was needed.
  • 02/12/20 –  BT agreed to set me up with copper broadband but it was only going to be ADSL which doesn't quote cut the mustard but hey ho, it was something.
  • 03/12/20 – I submitted my permission to dig form to OpenReach and after a little nudging, a neighbour of mine agreed to do the same. For context, we live on an unadopted road and given he was closest to where the dig was required, OpenReach asked them for permission (it wasn't going to be on their land / driveway / garden etc.) 

And that ladies and gentleman, is where my story takes a mysterious turn.

BT cancel my order - they don't tell me why, I just stumble upon it on my account. I phone up and no one there knows why but what I am told is that my place in the FTTP queue is now lost and we need to start all over again.

I continue to chase and nothing happens and on the 24th January, they tell me that my ADSL connection is getting cut off on the 2nd February.

I'm currently being told that they'll put me on FTTC but they can't place the order for that until after the ADSL connection has been cut and there could be a week or so lag (where I have no internet at all).

None of this is in writing anywhere - not the cancellation of ADSL or even that they'll be placing an order for FTTC to tide me over.

No one can tell me a thing and call backs from Connections or Offline teams never materialise. I've lodged a complaint (25/01/21) and I'm waiting to see if anyone contacts me at all.

Really bummed out and confused. I can't get Virgin where I am and FTTC is guaranteed at 25mb.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

James

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: FTTP = A Saga of Disappointment & Confusion

are you dealing with FTTP TEAM on 08005874787?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
JPR1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I've been going via the usual helpline (0800 800 150) but it's always the FTTP team that answers my calls.

As I'm not actually connected, they've always pushed me through to the Connections department.
0 Ratings
JPR1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Good morning,

I phoned the Fibre Team and it was certainly worth doing so - for the first time, I got some truth.

It turns out that Open Reach were asking BT for more information and as the latter wasn't responding, the former decided to cancel the order.

This happened weeks ago but no one seemed to want to tell me this.

I'll be switching from ADSL on to FTTC in the meantime to give me some chance of working from home but then its back of the queue for FTTP despite my order being made way back in October.

Oh well.

0 Ratings
JPR1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Surprise surprise...

ADSL was scheduled to disconnect on the 2nd February so that we could then apply for an FTTC connection.

On the 2nd February I get a message to tell me it has been pushed back to the 12th February.

The saga of sucky service continues.

0 Ratings
thomasglazebrook
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

We have some parallels in our experience here! After a hasty landline transfer cutting my broadband off, I was offered free ADSL & only now that is in, they could sort out FTTC. I was told that it would be rather complex but that it could be done. I have not heard anything further, so will likely have to chase tomorrow.

I’m considering canning in the whole FTTP order to get FTTC sorted but this doesn’t look hopeful either according to your experience...
0 Ratings
JPR1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

BT could have given you FTTC until the FTTP was sorted but they like to give the worst possible connection (ADSL).

I'm now exploring moving over to TalkTalk as they also offer FTTP and it looks like they can get me on FTTC quicker than BT can in the meantime.

Whole experience has been absolute pants.

Hope you get some traction and get connected ASAP.

0 Ratings
JPR1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Morning all,

Quick update on where we are.

OpenReach contractors were on-site from 13th-15th March digging up the road (un-adopted block paved road) and did a great job putting it back together again.

The engineer will be visiting on the 30th March to complete the FTTP install and hopefully that is the end of a very long and drawn out saga which started on the 28th October. 

Currently on a 20mb FTTC connection which isn't too bad and I can at least work from home, just a shame it took so long just to get that to tide me over.

Fingers crossed the install goes well and I'll be riding high on on 500mb minimum speed connection!

0 Ratings