cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: FTTP as New Order While Maintaining ADSL

@conrad  Why not just port the existing number to a VoIP provider?

"Can I port my phone number to VoIP?

Yes, in all but the rarest of exceptions, it is possible to take your old number with you to a VoIP service. You can even take multiple numbers if you need to. The only real exceptions are numbers with special features, such as ISDN. If you have some kind of special or unusual voice line, check with the VoIP supplier, but for standard lines, there will be no issue.

It is really simple to transfer your number to VoIP; you just ask your VoIP service provider, and they will take care of it for you. You may have to issue a few instructions and give them permission to transfer the number, but that’s about it. You just need to make sure your new VoIP provider knows that you want to take your current number with you from the outset. When you first sign-up they should ask you about this anyway. There may be a small additional charge, but many will provide number porting as part of the set-up."

Get FTTP without phone line then cancel ADSL once installed and port number.

https://broadbandandphones.co.uk/guides/phone-systems/how-to-transfer-my-landline-number-to-voip/ 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

@conrad 

Can't see anything attractive in switching a residential number to non-geographic.

@pippincp 

That's exactly what I posted previously.

The big issue here seems to be a major flaw in BT's process, where services are switched off before establishing that their replacements are up & running. Compounded with apparently no contingency to re-enable. Seems to me that terminating services should be the very last part of the order process. Even then it should be a "soft" process that can be quickly reversed say in the first five days.

Edit

And bang on cue as if I'd orchestrated it. here's another perfect example of how screwed the process is:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Bt-digital-voice-problem/m-p/2219817

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

You are aware that for every report of something going wrong there are multiple orders with no issues. You seem to be fixating on issues which are more likely to not occur!

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

It's called contingency planning. It's why we have insurance & wills. We almost certainly won't drop dead tomorrow & our house won't burn down overnight. But some will & that's why we make provision for it. But apparently BT are happy to work on the basis of fingers crossed it will all be OK.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

Oh look, I stated to transfer the landline to another VOiP provider, not BT's Digital Voice, a totally separate process. I even provided a link on how to do it.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

@rbz5416 

I only mooted a possible move to non geographic because most line will go digital by 2025ish and rather than have the aggro then if moving to a different exchange and changing the number with each move ,depending on what the VOIP provider can do you could just take the non geog number with you.

Yes people do like to have a std code but with the poliferation of mobiles only being the main phone contact the non geog number is really an extension of that.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

Wouldn't the FTTP line be actually stable versus the ADSL line?

If the property is FTTP ready, it means the installation is just about bringing the Fibre connection from the pole/duct to the property, installing the CSP and ONT and you're away. Fibre all the way to the premises. The only reason for going offline would be either a power cut, or serious problem at the Exchange - which would surely affect the ADSL line anyway. 

I would have thought the only way to have both at once is to either order FTTP from a different provider to the existing ADSL provision (thus maintaining the latter), or ordering a second line (I think there is an option with BT). However, it seems a little redundant to maintain an unreliable (and slow) ADSL line and rather expensive. 

Wouldn't the better solution (if a landline is not needed) be to order FTTP from BT and get a 4G Mobile broadband device in the mean time with a Data Sim on a rolling basis? That way you have the Data sim until installation is completed. And I would have thought it works out much cheaper, plus the 4G speed is going to be faster than ADSL speeds to fall back on until you get lightning fast FTTP.

0 Ratings