cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Fail!

So I have just had an engineer turn up to install broadband.

He said it can’t be done as he is not underground trained and there is nothing going to the property.

I contacted BT before the appointment and told them all the information needed about there is no socket, no line going to property and no ducting. 

The engineer said no notes were on the system to say this. The engineer seemed like he was in a rush and not interested. 

i just want to know now how long till it take for someone to come out and do the work needed. 

one of my neighbors needed 3ft dug for a line to be installed and it took 5 months for that!!

hope it doesn’t take that long

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Fail!

@Rc28 

Is this a new property that has just been built, as existing properties would already have ducting?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

@Keith_Beddoe 

No, its a static caravan site

there is a joint box right at the end of my drive. 
openreach say a phoneline was in previously but no ducting. 

just annoying that i give all the information i can to help and this happens

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

@Rc28 wrote:

No, its a static caravan site

there is a joint box right at the end of my drive. 
openreach say a phoneline was in previously but no ducting. 

just annoying that i give all the information i can to help and this happens

Its not BT Retail that would do the work, its Openreach, so whatever you told BT Retail, would not have been passed to Openreach.

Is this just a single line to a caravan, or is it a connection to the business itself?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Just want a broadband line to the caravan

others on the site have had it installed fine

i know its openreach that would do the work but when i spoke to BT retail on the phone about the order, they told me they have sent a message to openreach for the order with all the information i have provided

why have they lied to me then and said all notes are added

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

In that case, you are likely to have to wait a long time, as Openreach will have to do a survey to see what is required, and a planning job will have to be created.

You will then have to wait for someone to do the digging, usually a third party contractor.

A three month wait, possibly more, would not surprise me, especially at this time of the year, and with other restrictions.

Mobile broadband may be an option meanwhile.

I assume you were not given an activation date, as you can claim compensation if its not provided on time. Any compensation is but towards future bills.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Oh thats great

i have offered to dig the trench myself as it will be on my property 

mobile broadband is terrible in the area

tried and tested but not good enough

i was given an activation date of 10/12/21 which is today

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

@Rc28 wrote:

Oh thats great

i have offered to dig the trench myself as it will be on my property 

mobile broadband is terrible in the area

tried and tested but not good enough

i was given an activation date of 10/12/21 which is today

The option to dig is sometimes offered for self build houses, but the ducting has to be of a specific type. Another forum member may be able to tell you what is needed, but I think it has to be supplied by Openreach.

There is also the issue of network capacity, whether there are any spare pairs.

What does it say if you check the order progress on MyBT?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Other information i know is the previous person who had a static caravan where mine is now had a trench dug ready for installation and ducting but then cancelled same day as digging was done so trench was just filled back up again

i found what bt ducting is needed. Grey pipe

96.5mm or 56mm 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Not sure what to advise, as I am just a BT Customer. Its really down to BT Retail to chase up Openreach for an update as to when service is likely to be provided, as you cannot contact Openreach yourself, as you are not their customer.

0 Ratings