cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

False Default on my credit file - Urgent

Hi there,

I'm currently in the process of moving house and changing my mortgage. My mortgage provider asked me to send over a credit report, and I have noticed a £14 default added to my report from 2014. This default stems from my previous property, where I had a BT Account which was specifically for BT Sport. However, I closed this account and received no communication from BT explaining that I owed any money or had any outstanding balance. I received no emails, letters, calls, or any communication whatsoever.

Since discovering this on Friday, April 12th, 2024, it has significantly reduced my credit rating. Consequently, my mortgage provider (Barclays) will not approve our mortgage application.

I have called a number of times, each time I have had a frustrating conversation where no one can find any details related to my account. I managed to log in to my closed account, and it states that the account is closed, with a balance of £0. Despite multiple attempts to contact anyone at BT for assistance, they have informed me that they hold no information regarding this matter and advised me to reach out to the agencies - who have told me that they need BT to acknowledge their mistake.

I have never missed a bill or payment, and I have zero debt. This situation is a complete surprise to me, and if I did owe the £14, it would have been paid immediately.

Given the significant impact it's having on my mortgage application and the future of my family, I kindly request that someone can prioritise this matter and expedite the process. 

Can someone please help me out with this?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: False Default on my credit file - Urgent

@petesawyer2 

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

The first thing you need to do is raise a dispute with either Equifax, Experian etc, depending on who the debt is with. You can do that at 

• Online at www.equifax.co.uk/ask
  • Call 0800 014 2955
  • Address – Equifax Ltd
    • Customer Service Centre
    • PO Box 10036
    • Leicester
    • LE3 4FS

or 

• Online at www.experian.co.uk
  • Call 0344 481 8000
  • Address - Experian Headquarters Talbot House
    • Talbot Street
    • Nottingham
    • N80 1TH

Or

• Online at www.transunion.co.uk
  • Call 0330 024 7574
  • Address - Consumer Services Team
    • TransUnion
    • PO Box 647
    • Unit 4
    • Hull
    • HU9 9QZ

They'll then liaise with BT for you.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: False Default on my credit file - Urgent

Thanks for clarifying, I have already contacted the below and they have asked me to contact BT. Which I am trying to do.

0 Ratings