Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iharding1981
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Father being billed for new landline that hasn’t been installed or been ordered

Good morning.

Hoping someone could assist here.

My father has been waiting since 19th July for his FTTP broadband connection. This still hasn’t been installed but he has been given a mobile data dongle to tide him over which is absolutely fine.

His landline contract is with Talk Talk but he thought it best to switch to BT’s offering as the combined deal made financial sense. This is currently by way of an overhead copper line.

He has only ordered the broadband package but has now been told that BT will be collecting a £130 payment on 27th January for a new landline.

Not only has this line not been installed but he hasn’t asked for it.

How can this be resolved before payment is automatically taken?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Father being billed for new landline that hasn’t been installed or been ordered

@iharding1981 

The £130 is the standard installation charge for all connections. Did he place the order direct with BT, and has his TalkTalk line been disconnected yet?

0 Ratings
iharding1981
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Re: Father being billed for new landline that hasn’t been installed or been ordered

Keith

He is still on his Talk Talk landline. BT have not installed a new line nor did he order one.

He chose the fibre broadband package along with BT’s landline tariff direct from BT website - no need for a new line as one already exists.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

BT will be informing TT that they are taking over the line and the TT service will be ceased.

As I have said, the £130 charge is to cover the work that Openreach have to do, to provide service. That is the standard installation charge.

The use of a landline phone is optional, but its much cheaper to have a landline package if he intends to make a lot of calls.

0 Ratings
iharding1981
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Keith

This cost was never advised at any point during the ordering process. In fact, the order confirmation states that there is only a £19.99 one-off cost for connection.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

@iharding1981 wrote:

Keith

This cost was never advised at any point during the ordering process. In fact, the order confirmation states that there is only a £19.99 one-off cost for connection.

That only applies if there is an existing unused BT Retail line, not for a new connection. There is only a line owned by TalkTalk, which is still active, so it will be an additional new line that will be provided.

If the order is for both phone and broadband together, then this charge is normally waived.

I am surprised that he had not been contacted by TalkTalk, to say that BT Retail are taking over the line, as that would normally happen within a short time after placing the order with BT.

I think you may have to contact BT, and ask them what the extra charge is for.

0 Ratings
iharding1981
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

BT haven’t done very much at all since he placed the order on 19th July. Still doesn’t have FTTP broadband or BT landline after nearly 6 months...this would probably indicate they haven’t been in touch with Talk Talk yet.

The existing line was BT up until about 10 years ago. It’s their infrastructure (or Openreach’s). There is a line there. He didn’t order a new line.

The contract doesn’t mention anything about a £130 connection fee so I find it hard to see how this could just be sprung on him. The order confirmation is quite clear in its costing break-down.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

I am wondering if the charge is for the installation of FTTP, as it does not involve using the existing copper route?

0 Ratings
iharding1981
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Keith

I think that would still be irrelevant as the cost isn’t laid out in the terms of his contract.

If indeed this is some level of retrospective charge or a stealth cost then I would advise him to withdraw from the contract. It hasn’t started in any case...

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 10 of 14

Hi @iharding1981 it's likely that the order has been replaced at some point and the standard fee has been incorrectly applied instead of the £19.99 connection charge. Are you still in touch with the Chairman's office as I can see that you previously mentioned that you had been in contact with them regarding the delay?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings