cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomB360
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Feel like I have been mis-sold. Can I cancel?

Hi,

I have recently moved house and was advised by BT that in order to get the phone-line set up to my house (it's a new build property), then I would also have to take out a BT calls package. I accepted this at the time as I needed a phone-line and with all the other pressures of moving house, disputing this with them was not my top priority. However, in hindsight, I think I have been forced into taking out a phone package with BT that I do not want.

Also, I have also signed up to BT Unlimited but was not made aware of the Traffic Management policy; either by the person I spoke to on the phone, nor have I been provided with any paperwork outlining any of the T&Cs. As such, this package is not suitable for my needs.

Am I in a position to be able to cancel my contract, as I feel like I have been mis-sold these products and have not been provided with adequate/the correct information by the Customer Services staff?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Feel like I have been mis-sold. Can I cancel?

the traffic management only applies to p2p traffic and then only at peak times so unless you are a p2p downloader then there is no problem.

if your broadband has been activated then you cannot cancel without paying cancelkation charges?  did you read the T&C where there is a part about traffic management

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TomB360
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

As I didn't have broadband before my BT broadband was activated, I could not read the T&Cs.

As I purchased it over the phone, I should have at least been sent some paper work advising of the T&Cs, but I was not. Therefore I wasn't given the correct information about my purchase.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

If you rang BT, then they are not going to suggest you go to another provider. If you did not want a BT line, then you could have called one of the many other service providers.

It`s Openreach who provide the wiring from the exchange to your house. They work for most of the major service providers.

Most of the ISPs restrict applications that use a lot of bandwidth, during peak times.

0 Ratings
Ook
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

If BT verbally didn't advise you of their traffic management policy then yes you can cancel as the product is legally mis-sold as its not legal to withold information on a product expecting company policys to be sourced elsewhere (most other providers include a line saying p2p may be subject to traffic management )

AND fyi P2P isnt just downloading many online games use the same methods of P2P to play and update , a few to name World of warcraft . Starwars The old Republic , EVE and many other large MMO's they all use traffic managed "P2P" ports yet they sell infinity and option 3 as suitable for online gaming.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

You didn't have to go to BT.  You could have contacted another phone provider and asked them to organise the connection.  Then you would have been in contract with them for a minimum period.

Did you tell the sales person you needed a package without any limitations on P2P usage?  If not, the fact that the package isn't suitable for your needs isn't BT's fault.  They are giving you what they provide.  If it isn't what you needed, you should have asked.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@TomB360 wrote:

Hi,

I have recently moved house and was advised by BT that in order to get the phone-line set up to my house (it's a new build property), then I would also have to take out a BT calls package. I accepted this at the time as I needed a phone-line and with all the other pressures of moving house, disputing this with them was not my top priority. However, in hindsight, I think I have been forced into taking out a phone package with BT that I do not want.

Also, I have also signed up to BT Unlimited but was not made aware of the Traffic Management policy; either by the person I spoke to on the phone, nor have I been provided with any paperwork outlining any of the T&Cs. As such, this package is not suitable for my needs.

Am I in a position to be able to cancel my contract, as I feel like I have been mis-sold these products and have not been provided with adequate/the correct information by the Customer Services staff?

Off course you can, anyone can cancel a contract anytime they like.

I think your question should have been "Can I cancel my contract without having to pay cancellation charges."  Thats debateableSmiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings