cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinMcD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 23

Re: Fibre is coming. I live rurally and do not presently have a landline?

Go to solution

Thank you Keith. I don’t think I indicated any intention to get a FTTC or to choose EE as a Fibre supplier. 

the discussion here though is informative and is helping. 

when FTTP fibre comes to my area do I need to already have a landline to my property in order to access it? The answer seems to be both yes and no, which was my experience when I phoned BT and Openreach. But hopefully we are getting somewhere. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 23

Go to solution

@MartinMcD 

I don`t know the answer to that, however a routing is going to be needed to be built, either for copper or fibre, and that will not happen without an order. You may prefer to wait until the fibre build has started, and hope that it includes your property.

If there is no routing shown on the Openreach database, then it may be assumed that you do not require a fibre service, when available.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 23

Go to solution

@MartinMcD wrote:

when FTTP fibre comes to my area do I need to already have a landline to my property in order to access it? The answer seems to be both yes and no, which was my experience when I phoned BT and Openreach. But hopefully we are getting somewhere. 

I don't have a definitive answer but for new build properties a copper landline is not provided, FTTP can be ordered with or without a voice service and is totally independent of any existing service. If ordering FTTP,  a copper landline would not be provided as the intention is to close down the copper network by 2025. Taking all those points into consideration, logic would dictate that there is no need for a landline to be in existence in order to get FTTP.