Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenMitchell
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Fibre port in exchange is faulty?

Hi,

I type this as a very unhappy BT customer. 

Me and my partner have just brought our first house and we’ve had nothing but problems since initiating our home move service. 

I won’t type every detail as I want to get to the point but the original switch date was 27th June. We are now being told the next review of a problem that I’ll describe in next paragraph will be 26th July. We have no connection what to ever in the mean time. 

Ok the problem. I’ve been dealing with someone from executive customer resolutions and we are at a stage where she got us a date for our service only to be told the “fibre port in the exchange is faulty”. What does this even mean?

We were told that would be fixed on 12th July, then 15th, then 16th and now being told that the engineers have been back out and “the spare ports at the exchange are faulty and can’t be used and we are waiting on the engineers to fix the faulty ports so we can use 1 of those” She’s told us she’s escalated it because next review date is 26th July. What does all this mean? Am I being lied to again and just strung along whilst I’m currently stuck with no internet what so ever?

Can anyone shed any light on what any of what we are being told means because we’ve been lied to so much already I don’t really have any faith left. 

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Fibre port in exchange is faulty?

@BenMitchell 

If you are dealing with executive customer resolutions, then the forum moderators would not be able to intervene, but I will ask them to take a look.

If the fibre port in the exchange was faulty, it would be affecting multiple customers and not just you.

What is more likely is that the port in the cabinet, that has been allocated to your order, is faulty and there are no spares. I am assuming that your order is for fibre to the cabinet.

If its fibre direct into the house, then it could easily be an issue with the connection in the exchange.

It will be Openreach who would be dealing with this issue, and may be awaiting spares.

Is your order for fibre to the house (FTTP), and you have a large Openreach box on the wall inside?

0 Ratings
BenMitchell
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

I should have said that the order was for FTTC. 

I assumed it would be a problem with the green box cabinet but she is telling us it’s the exchange. Unless that’s what she means by that? I also would assume it would be a problem for other people but surely then it would have been fixed? 

Its ts very frustrating as we don’t have any connection at all and has made the house move needlessly stressful and we still don’t even know if or when we will get connected. No word of a lie, we would not have brought the house if we couldn’t get fibre. The cabinet shows as not full and available so we should get connected but we just seem to keep getting fobbed off and strung along. How long do we wait? Do we even know what we are being told is true? 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Is your phone line working yet?

Is this a new build house?

0 Ratings
BenMitchell
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

We don’t use a landline so not sure how to check? Is there a way to check? Can we ring the number maybe to find that out?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@BenMitchell wrote:

We don’t use a landline so not sure how to check? Is there a way to check? Can we ring the number maybe to find that out?

You would need to plug a phone into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone and can dial out.

Simply ringing the number would not be any good, as it would still ring out, even if there was a disconnection.

You can buy a cheap wired phone for about £5.

0 Ratings
BenMitchell
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

We are away at the moment so can’t do that. 

Whats the relevance of the phone working or not working? That isn’t meant to sound rude, just don’t understand the ins and outs that’s all. Just trying to understand what we’ve been told. 

If it’s a problem with a port in the cabinet like you said, is there a timeline for that? Or are we going to keep getting told dates with no intention of it being fixed and 1 day it will eventually get fixed?

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

A working phone line is needed for broadband to operate. It cannot even be provisioned until the phone line task has been completed, as the phone line is need to complete the commissioning tests.

If the phone line is not working, then its more likely to be a local line issue, perhaps faulty cable pairs.

It could also be a faulty port within the cabinet, although I would still expect dial tone on the line, as it would be normal practice to make sure that the phone is working, even if it means bypassing the fibre cabinet port.

I assume you already have the BT Home Hub delivered and connected up, and are just getting a flashing light on it?

0 Ratings
BenMitchell
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

We took the old hub with us from our previous house and yes it’s just flashing purple/pink. 

The lady we are dealing with says everything else is complete (phone line) it’s just the “faulty port” issue that is to be sorted before we can get connected. So from what she’s told is the phone line is good to go?

I assume when she says exchange she means the cabinet, but maybe not? We don’t know what to think or believe anymore. We just want our fibre connection ASAP,

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

All you can do at the moment, is to wait until you get home, and try a phone in the socket. I assume you have a home hub 5 or 6, as earlier hubs will not work on FTTC.

If you do not get dial tone, or the number is wrong, then that would tend to indicate an issue with the local cable, or even a fault within your internal phone wiring.

Make sure you try the phone in the test socket to prove where the fault is.

As this is just a customer to customer help forum, that is all I can suggest,

0 Ratings