cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Fibre upgrade options

Go to solution

My in-laws' current FTTC with landline contract has expired.  When trying to renew BT say they cannot keep the existing pacxkage, fibre 1 FTTC with landline, to retain the landline they must go to FTTP.  Last year we attempted to go to FTTP but the engineer could not pull the cable through so the only option was to dig up the hall floor which they did not want.  Door openings in the hall mean the socket is halfway down.  BT are saying I can renew the contract if I drop the landline, is that current policy?  Does that mean that next year when copper is discontinued they will lose internet access?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Fibre upgrade options

Go to solution

@tmarsh12345 

copper is not being discontinued it is the ability to make phone calls over the copper that stopping but internet access over copper will continue.  Phone calls will be over the internet in future - VOIP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks, yes I found a piece on openreach saying that.  However there is a "stop sell" in place here so if I want to renew (and I do as the package has reverted to the higher tariff) I will have to do it minus the landline, which they want.  My mum-in-law said the BT engineer could not pull the cable as it was too short, I'm presuming it couldn't be pulled out enough to attach a cord?

I have a question on a possible fix for them.  The current master socket is halfway down the hall which is in the middle of the house, no stairs, if they came up the side of the house in to the front living room it could go in the corner behind the TV.  So would wifi still be OK in most of the house if the router is at the extreme corner of the house?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

The location of the existing copper service is really irrelevant to the provision of FTTP. They can just intercept the duct where it enters the house, install the CSP on the wall and then run the internal fibre to the ONT located at a mutually agreeable location

Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry but I just want to make sure I've got this right, by the duct do you mean the plate out in the road where the fibre cable is?  If that is the case, it's directly in line with the gable of the house so they would have a straight run up the drive and in to the living room.  And just ignore the existing copper entry point?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Duct = small diameter pipe the cable uses to get from the pavement to the house. I assume you have an underground feed to your house.

The copper cable and associated master socket will be totally redundant with an FTTP install.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks, I get it now.  No, fibre is cabled to the streent only, they will have to dig up the drive to get to the house.  Which is OK as it's gravel so easy enough.  Looks like a plan then, duct to the front room and they will have fast fibre and phone.  Thanks for all your replies.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

No, they will use the duct that your copper service uses, but intercept it where it reaches the house. Are you in Northern Ireland as that is the only region where ducting pops up inside the house.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I am yes.  So can they intercept before it reaches the house?  The copper (I'm assuming) runs under the gravel drive and enters the house at the front door into the hall.  It will be under a front step so hoping that it can be re-directed before it reaches there?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Yes, you will need to discuss with the engineer on the day.

0 Ratings