cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giropay
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Final Bill

I have cancelled my BT Sport subscription. After the months notice there will be 10 days payable following my last direct debit. I have been told to leave my direct debit in operation - and that a refund will then be made. I am not happy about overpaying first and then receiving a refund. Surely it should be possible for me to cancel the direct debit and make a final payment of the correct amount ?
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Jimmy3
Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: Final Bill

They told me direct debit would be automatically canceld after last month of payment about £40 and then tried to take well over £500,luckily I didn't have that amount in my account so they didn't get it but they tried a couple of times and when I found out I cancelled the direct debit,if I were you I would cancel direct debit and send them the 10 days owing by check , postal order or even registered cash be very careful at end of contract because they try to say something like there was unexpected charges so we just took it,in my case it was an error by bt  but it would have taken a crowbar to get it back once they had it,also they can destroy your credit rating without telling you or asking anyone else they just do it,keep a close eye on this as I've been dealing with bt mistakes for ten month's and it's still not resolved

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 3 of 16

The BT billing system bills in advance and doesn't factor in any pending cease requests, let's say it's June and a 30 day month, so if on the 1st of the month you give 30 days notice, the service ends on the 30th.
If your billing cycle is the 15th, you'll be billed until the 14th of the following month, which by the example above means you'll pay an extra 14 days, once the final bill generates 7 days after the service ends, you will be refunded the 14 days back into the bank and then the direct debit is cancelled.

0 Ratings
giropay
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Thanks Richie - I understand that that is how BT’s billing system works - but surely it’s a bad system. It no doubt benefits BT because it causes everyone in my situation to ‘overpay’ for a while before a refund is made during which time BT are holding my money. My inclination is to cancel the direct debit - work out the balance myself and make this payment .
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

I would caution against cancelling the direct debit. If BT go to get the money and the DD is cancelled it will be classed as a non payment which could lead to problems.

It is unlikely that BT are making much if any money out of having your payment for a week or two. The reason that it is done in that way is purely the billing cycle.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 6 of 16

I know what you mean but it's how BT do it, if it did factor in the cease it would be easier for you, however some customers then decide a few days before the cease that instead they'll keep the service, you'd then end up with a 6 week bill the following month.

Although just as you've done, cancel the DD and pay the bill manually, I'm not sure how that reflects on your credit file though, again using my example above, that would mean you'd be over 2 weeks late paying the bill, however I'm far from an expert with credit files, perhaps it has no impact.

*Edit* @gg30340 replied before me.

0 Ratings
clonk
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Dont fret, it's common business practice with automated systems to take the direct debit then subsequently refund. 

0 Ratings
giropay
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Thanks gg30340.
My point is that as a consumer I object to paying for a period when I am not receiving a service. I honestly can’t believe that in 2019 BT have a billing system which can’t recognise and calculate a final payment in these circumstances - without generating an overpayment and a refund.I just wonder if the reason is - that it actually does benefit BT financially when you add up all the individual £20’s it is holding for a few weeks. I wouldn’t of course cancel the direct debit without making a one off payment( calculated by me) beforehand - it could hardly then be classed as a non payment or a late payment
0 Ratings
Jimmy3
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

If you type bt t&cs in Google it will tell you on section about payment,they are supposed to send letters reminding you of any outstanding money owed and about two weeks after that they start looking at it so about a month before they think about debt agencies, so by the time you manually send final payment you will have plenty of spare time,recorded post is about £1.20,read the t&cs because it set out there obligations to you because a contract is not a one way street,I don't know why the experts are not telling you this as you obviously don't want to pay money you don't owe and t&cs will give you correct info for your issue

0 Ratings
Andy005
Expert
Message 10 of 16

Hi @giropay 

This is quite common so it isn't just BT. Personally I don't see the problem, for example if you were to make any chargeable calls or purchases the day after your billing date then you effectively are paying for them a month in arrears. They do not request immediate payment, and if a customer makes regular chargeable calls they average them to give a regular DD payment rather than bills spiking.

Utility companies do the same and depending upon when you switch suppliers, you will either be paying significantly upfront or in arrears.

0 Ratings