Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helen-Barthorpe
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Final bill refund not paid...

Hi there,

I’ve been with BT for many years and through a number of home moves. Unfortunately, when I moved house in January BT couldn’t supply broadband to my new house so I terminated my contract early. At the time BT confirmed they would waive the £187.49 early termination charge as they couldn’t supply broadband to the property I was moving to.

I gave BT my new address (and asked them to send my final bill to it) - and

a) they sent it to my old address, and

b) it included the £187.49 early termination fee, which they’ve taken from my account via direct debit. 

I called BT on 1 Feb and they confirmed this was an error and that they would refund me the full £187.49 within 7-10 days via a BACs payment. I’ve received an email to confirm the refund had been processed (also on the 1 Feb). 

I still haven’t received the refund (as at 16 Feb), so called BT, who said a refund of £150 (ish) had been processed and would be in my account in the next 7-10 days... I asked about the amount (as it’s less than the amount due to be refunded) and the advisor suggested the remaining amount will be processed separately, but couldn’t offer an explanation as to why. 

I’m getting fed up of chasing a refund for an amount that should never have been debited from my account in the first place. My account with BT ended more than one month ago - I don’t believe it should take this long to return incorrectly debited money to me.

Any advice? Everything I’ve read says refunds should be processed within 14 days? 

Thanks,

Helen

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Final bill refund not paid...

It would be very unusual if BT Retail could not provide service to your new address, even if it was just basic broadband. If that was the case, then no other provider that uses the Openreach network could provide service either.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Helen-Barthorpe
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply. BT could provide broadband to my new address - but at less than 1/10th of the speed that I’ve had with my previous (then current) contract, so agreed that they would waive the early termination fee.

However, I think you’ve misunderstood my issue. The issue isn’t that BT couldn’t provide a suitable broadband speed - it’s that I still don’t have the refund that they owe me. 

If I could have some support with when my refund will be paid that would be great. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

I am just a customer, so you will have to wait for a moderator to investigate what has happened.

They have access to your account, and any correspondence relating to any  cancellation agreement and refunds agreed, as quite often people cannot get the same speed when they move house, especially if they had superfast broadband, and can only get normal broadband when they move.

Usually they are moved to a different and cheaper package.

They should post an invite on this thread tomorrow morning.

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 5 of 5

Hi @Helen-Barthorpe, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Sorry that you have not received this refund. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we will be happy to help you with this.

cheers
JohnC2

0 Ratings