Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Dfj1983
Message 1 of 22

Free Broadband Update

Hi,

has anyone else had a “free” broadband update message when logging into their account as per my photo below.

I’ve followed it through the next screens - it claims it’s quick and easy to do, free for the same price, they’ll send out a smart hub (I currently just have a home hub) and it also acknowledges that my contract still runs in June 2019. I’ve stopped at the confirm order point as it seems too good to be true and worried I’ll inadvertently enter into a new contract.

I tried to chat and call BT but it’s like banging my head against a brick wall as I had googled this and I found an article where it does say it was something BT were rolling out free speed updates over a period of time. 

So just wondering if anyone has actually gone through with this?

Many Thanks,

7ED7CD3F-E4DC-4E92-BABF-051A7F3A13B0.jpeg

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Free Broadband Update

Read the Terms and Conditions, you will be entering into a new contract.

The "free" speed upgrade happened a while back and did not require you to do anything and you certainly did not get a new Smarthub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 22

What speeds do you get at present as many have expected faster speed only to be disappointed

you could try 0800800030 and see what they offer you.  You don't need to accept

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 22

What type of broadband do you currently have , exchange based ADSL or FTTC/VDSL ( fibre to the cabinet)
I'm sure I've seen comments from BT customers being offered free upgrades from ADSL to VDSL , in fact one poster was complaining they were offered an upgrade to FTTC when they had already had it ( they had upgraded to FTTC themselves)
AFAIK, there is a push to try and get customers onto VDSL, (not just BT Consumers) , if its available, especially if the potential speed increase would qualify as 'Superfast' ( 24-30Mb)
There was a free upgrade from Infinity 1 speeds to Infinty 2 speeds a little while ago for BT customers but I don't think it will be that.
0 Ratings
Grayden
Beginner
Message 5 of 22

Yes I have this free update offer too but have stopped at the confirm stage in case its a con.  I dont want any increase in my monthly payments nor an extention to my existing contract which runs out in Feb 19.  It would be nice to know if someone has took up the offer or confirmation from someone in BT  to say there is no catch.

Grayden

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

As @gg30340 posted already you really need to read the T&C to see as I suspect it will be a new contract. I would wait especially if renewal is 19/2

CPI increases are now built into contract so no longer can cancel free when cost goes up

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Grayden
Beginner
Message 7 of 22

It does say this:

'Your free update summary

You’ll receive more stable and reliable broadband, as well as faster speeds. We’ll send you a new Smart Hub to support your improved broadband connection. As with your current package, you’ll have an out of contract price, if you come out of contract your monthly cost will be £52.40'

So does it mean the price stays the same unless I cancell the contract?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

That reads to me that you will be in a new contract which will be for the price that you are paying just now but when the contract is over you will be charged £52.40 but as has repeatedly been said, you need to read the full Terms and Conditions about the "free broadband upgrade".

I also would not necessarily believe the first part "You’ll receive more stable and reliable broadband, as well as faster speeds". 

Grayden
Beginner
Message 9 of 22

Thanks for your reply.  Where do you find the T& C's they are hidden somwhere.  I'm with you on the last bit in my experience I would'nt believe anything BT says Iv'e been caught before ( 'caveate emptor'). It would be nice to know though from someone who has taken it up.

Grayden

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

I don't have access to the offer so I can not direct you to the T & Cs but the should be somewhere on the web pages, may be a link or named "the legal stuff".