Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 22

Re: Free Broadband Update

BT have changed T&C from today

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63722/?s_cid=con_FURL_prices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 22

@imjolly wrote:

BT have changed T&C from today

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63722/?s_cid=con_FURL_prices

No more free cancellations when prices go up during a contract. That never made sense to me anyway, and must have caused BT quite a loss of revenue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 22

Prices should never go up when you take out a contract. That is the whole point of a contract, it allows both sides to see what they are paying for and budget accordingly for the duration of the contract. If one sides breaks the contract, ie demands more money, the contract should be voided and the other side should be able either walk away or renegotiate.

As an example a Car Lease over 3 years gives you a fixed monthly fee over the term regardless of its a two, three or four year contract. The Company does not come back to you each year demanding more money because their costs have gone up or the vehicle is worth less because of inflation.

If BT can not project their costs over the term of a one or two year contract that is their problem not the customers.

I wonder what Ofcom will have to say about BT and their the recent devious prices rise grab and unfair terms and conditions about not being able to leave without fees when they change the price of the contract.

Guru
Message 14 of 22

This is an extract from OFCOM’s, The Guidance on “material detriment” under GC9.6 in relation to price rises and notification of contract modifications.

• Example 3: agreed prices
The subscriber agrees and enters into a 24-month contract on terms that the agreed core subscription price will be £X per month for the first 12-months (or some other period) and £X + RPI10 for the second 12-months (or some other period). On the basis that the relevant price terms are sufficiently prominent and transparent that the subscriber can properly be said to have agreed on an informed basis, at the point of sale, to the relevant tiered price(s), Ofcom would not regard the application of the agreed price in the second period as a modification of the contract capable of meeting GC9.6's material detriment requirement.

Which would indicate that if the customer is warned beforehand then inflation price rises would allowed.

Still wrong though and I agree a contract is a contract so there should be no  price rises during the term of the contract - otherwise it is not a contract.

OFCOM link here.

Stew

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 22

@StewM wrote:

This is an extract from OFCOM’s, The Guidance on “material detriment” under GC9.6 in relation to price rises and notification of contract modifications.

• Example 3: agreed prices
The subscriber agrees and enters into a 24-month contract on terms that the agreed core subscription price will be £X per month for the first 12-months (or some other period) and £X + RPI10 for the second 12-months (or some other period). On the basis that the relevant price terms are sufficiently prominent and transparent that the subscriber can properly be said to have agreed on an informed basis, at the point of sale, to the relevant tiered price(s), Ofcom would not regard the application of the agreed price in the second period as a modification of the contract capable of meeting GC9.6's material detriment requirement.

Which would indicate that if the customer is warned beforehand then inflation price rises would allowed.

Still wrong though and I agree a contract is a contract so there should be no  price rises during the term of the contract - otherwise it is not a contract.

OFCOM link here.

Stew

So the paper tiger agrees with BT and has sanctioned its devious practice with a 24 month contract, what about changing prices part way through a 12 month contract. No doubt this will spell the end to 12 month contracts with BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 22

Wait for a big sigh of relief, as all ISPs follow BTs lead and change their pricing policy.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 22

Here's a novel idea for BT, why don't the offer cheaper prices to it's customers, offer the best price in line with those that "new" customers get for customers who renew their fixed term contract and don't increase prices during the term of any contract regardless of how long the contract runs for. 

They could advertise it as a package based on the customer's needs and wants. You never know it might increase their dismal customer ratings and even get them more customers and as a bonus they could be seen as leading the ISP industry with good/excellent practice instead of sharp devious practice.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 22

I don't agree with price increases during agreed contract term but the prior T&C allowed BT to increase prices at their discretion but in so doing allowed customers to leave without penalty whereas the new T&C specify how the increase will be calculated and not at BT discretion  it also states when the increase will take affect

obviously introduced as losing to many customers when price increased allowing customers to move ISP without cancellation charges.  Customers have now realised loyalty means nothing and are more willing to move ISP for better/cheaper new customer deals

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 22

Reading the bumpf about this it implies that the next price rise for anyone is March 2020. I can't imagine BT doing a normal price rise around June this year as their computer system probably wouldn't cope with the parameters etc. In my case I recontracted in Sept for 18 months so I assume that my next price rise will be in March 2020 when I recontract.

To me it's as if BT wants to do away with contracts - they might as well  just set up a monthly rolling one with the price rising each March. No need for the hassle of going through the hit and miss of getting the best deal via the Options team. There could be say a 3 month notice period to cancel at any time.

0 Ratings
Grayden
Beginner
Message 20 of 22

@gg30340wrote:

Prices should never go up when you take out a contract. That is the whole point of a contract, it allows both sides to see what they are paying for and budget accordingly for the duration of the contract. If one sides breaks the contract, ie demands more money, the contract should be voided and the other side should be able either walk away or renegotiate.

As an example a Car Lease over 3 years gives you a fixed monthly fee over the term regardless of its a two, three or four year contract. The Company does not come back to you each year demanding more money because their costs have gone up or the vehicle is worth less because of inflation.

If BT can not project their costs over the term of a one or two year contract that is their problem not the customers.

I wonder what Ofcom will have to say about BT and their the recent devious prices rise grab and unfair terms and conditions about not being able to leave without fees when they change the price of the contract.

I fully agree with you a contract is a contract if the customer breaks it they get penalised why shouldnt BT. Now they can put their prices up every year  in March irrespective of their profitability.  My contract is up Feb. 19 and you won't se my a*** for dust.  Still cant work out if the free broadband upgrade is really free or another con.

Grayden

0 Ratings