cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
claireecke
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

'Free' Internet Upgrade

Hello, This is my first post here. I'm rather ocnfused about a recent bill I received after BT offered to upgrade my Internet Speed from 67 to Ultrafast Fibre Plus. I received this offer on MY BT Dashboard online and it definitely said free on it. They tried to charge me £9.99 for a new router, which I was quick to complain about as this would go against it being free. They said this charge would be removed and I thought that was it.

Coming up to the 15th May, I received a bill for £79.48, Nearly double what I was expecting it to be (£44.99). This has to be one of the most confusing bills I've ever seen with charges being added and removed all over the place.

See Below:

unknownPart 1

unknownPart 2unknownPart 3

It would be appreciated if anyone could help explain the bills as the BT Agents on the Phone and Live chat are unable to do this. Good luck, Think you might need it! If you have any question or need more info, please let me know.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: 'Free' Internet Upgrade

Part 2  is the correct next months payments of £44.99 for the Ultrafast and £15.00 for a TV package which is what you should have been expecting.

Part 1 indicates that the April bill was for £44.99 but you have only paid £35.00 giving an outstanding amount of £9.99 

Part 3 is the adjustment relating to the amount billed in advance which has been superceded  by the new contract coming into force on 26 April. If the April bill was £44.99 then deducting £15 for the TV you paid £29.99 for the broadband in advance for  15 April to 14 May.  The new contract was  £15 more expensive and you have been charged for the 19 days "under billed"  which is the £9.50   ( £15 *19/30).

The bill to me is correct and comprises

Normal b/b plus TV  £59.99 (edited)
Underpayment of April bill £9.99  - no idea why this has happened
Adjustment for the more expensive contract  £9.50

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 17

Hi @claireecke 

From what I can see your bill covers more than a month because your package changed on the 26/4, so it's for a month and just over two weeks.

Page two is your new monthly payment £44.99 for broadband and calls and £15 for TV. Page 3 is adjusting your previous bill for the change in broadband from 26/4, Page 1 looks like is shows the credit for the new router.

I've seen a similar post about a 'free' upgrade which was along the same line as yours I think, it looks like there's a clear increase in the broadband and calls part looking at your bill. I haven't had an offer myself but I suspect they're using 'free' as in no admin fee or such like, but that there is an actual cost in the package with the details tucked away in the small print somewhere.

0 Ratings
claireecke
Beginner
Message 4 of 17

That's just morally wrong to make someone assume that their upgrade is free when it defintley isn't, they offered to downgrade me back to the original package, but I declined as I didn't want to accept defeat as it were. When processing the order, It defintely said ongoing monthly cost was £44.99 + £9.99 for the router which was later removed.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 5 of 17

@claireeckewrote:

That's just morally wrong to make someone assume that their upgrade is free when it defintley isn't, they offered to downgrade me back to the original package, but I declined as I didn't want to accept defeat as it were. When processing the order, It defintely said ongoing monthly cost was £44.99 + £9.99 for the router which was later removed.

You were charged £44.99 though, for the broadband element only, as you have other services then they have their own subscription fees.

Your ongoing monthly cost it referred to only applies to the service you changed, your BT TV subscription was not part of the order journey, so therefore it was not included on the confirmation email sent.

0 Ratings
claireecke
Beginner
Message 6 of 17

Well one could argue that its false advertisement, but they have covered themselves by putting something in the T&Cs that take about an hour to read. I appreciate your help, but I'm probably going to take this up with ASA because it's ridiculous!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

As you have had broadband upgraded for same monthly cost I cannot see how you have been misled. More like you misunderstood. Still be interesting on your outcome with ASA and hope you post result

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 8 of 17

You were upgraded from Superfast to Ultrafast for the exact same amount, how isn't that a free upgrade ? you're paying exactly the same for line and broadband on the upgraded speed as you were previously.

Nowhere did it say you would have the £15 TV cost deducted, that would be a reduction, what did you honestly expect would be the result of the change ?

0 Ratings
claireecke
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Nowhere did it say it would added either, When it says free upgrade you expect it mean the same price surely. You don't go into a shop where it says buy one get one free and pay for two do you?

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 10 of 17

@claireeckewrote:

When it says free upgrade you expect it mean the same price surely.

Yes, you are paying the same though, your monthly cost has not increased, the price you were paying for Superfast Fibre and BTTV is the same cost you're paying for Ultrafast Fibre and BTTV, so you've upgraded your broadband at no extra cost.

0 Ratings