cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BoardRoom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Friend with dementia signed up for BT mobile that he doesnt need. BT refuse to cancel and refund it.

I have an 85-year-old friend who unfortunately has worsening memory and cognition issues.

A few months ago, he unwittingly signed up for a BT mobile contract (online) thinking it was a good deal.

He signed up for a 10GB high speed monthly data usage contract at approx. £20 per month. But he hardly uses his mobile phone. I have to show him how to make a call each time I see him!  They can easily see there has been minimal use.

I contacted BT on my friends behalf to explain the situation and that he clearly made a mistake. The person I spoke to consulted her manager/supervisor but said there was nothing they could do. It was a fixed contract.

My friend has been a BT customer for over 60 years and this is how they treat him! It is outrageous and I am truly disgusted.

Is there a way I can appeal to them to see sense?

Thanks for your time.

B R

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Friend with dementia signed up for BT mobile that he doesnt need. BT refuse to cancel and refund

Hi @BoardRoom  sorry that your friend has found themselves in this position. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team and we will be happy to see what we can do to help him.
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

cheers
John

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Re: Friend with dementia signed up for BT mobile that he doesnt need. BT refuse to cancel and refund

@BoardRoomis there someone who could help him out in the future ? possibly worth looking at power of attorney.

Even if you can't get PoA then I'd definitely look at https://www.bt.com/includingyou to see what further support BT can offer, It's a great resource and you'd be suprised what is available.

0 Ratings
BoardRoom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Thanks very much @JohnC2.

I have just replied to your private message. My apologies for the delay in responding.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BoardRoom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

@RichieThanks for the suggestion. He has a large family who can deal with POA. However they are all somewhat challanged with anything tech and thats the area where I can help.

Thanks for the link to the "including you" info.

The response I have received from BT so far in regard to my friends circumstances is a million miles away from the impression they give on their "including you" page. They need to follow through and actively demonstrate they do understand rather than have web page claiming they do. So far its just fancy windows dressing!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi @BoardRoom 

I have replied privately to the message you sent over.

Could you have a look when you get the chance and drop me a reply please?

Thanks!

Robbie

0 Ratings