Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Domin8
Message 1 of 3

From £0 to £200, BT took direct debit when I don't pay that wat

Go to solution
For anyone who doesn't want to read the rant version heres the quickest, had landline for years, broadband for 2years which ilhas never worked correctly, finally BT admitted this and said the hub5 we had had never worked and theyd send a new one for free. Took ages but it was a bt hub 4, even longer wait for the right one with no wifi and then BT go and charge me for both hubs AND take it from my bank account when I have never even paid via direct debit. 84 yr old and very amgry. . Been on BT landline for years then 2 years ago got broadband and thus began the pain. From the off the wifi never worked correctly as in we were always using an open connection even though every device said we were encrypted, all my infos out there including IMEI of phones etc but BTs fault team kept saying it was ok.. They told us they didnt do "unlimited" so we kept paying way over the odds for going over our usage before someone actually said would you like unlimited, the unlimited they didn't do.. Two years of constantly telling them something was wrong and our data was being leaked only to be told it wasn't. The team in india or wherever were rude in the extreme even hanging up on me on several occasions, they were no help whatsoever apart from suggesting I pay £90 for engineers.. Being an OAP and not tech savy at all we didnt get anywhere until my son was here one day and even he said the Wifi was not encrypted, all the while being told it was his own programs were saying we were using the free network, bt open? He spent months trying to work out what was wrong and has still not fully sussed it out, the nearest he will say is everything is hacked and everything is going through cloud based VPN's and foreign proxies.. He rang the faults team and got the run around but persisted, gave them data until they had to admit there was something wrong with the router (BT HUB 5) and had always been and they would send another out at BT's expense. Lots of apologies and mention of compensation for any downtime etc (which turned out to be 2 months almost) yet we've heard nothing since about the compensation from BT since?. . The hub they sent was the wrong one, hub 4 and were on infinity, while my son was setting it up the online instructions said we needed an open reach device to continue which we've never had. The faults team said it was unnecessary and we didnt anything with the hub5, when my son said theyd sent the hub 4 instead he said nothing was needed with that neither and that to just go ahead and plug into the phone line, obvious mistake as another BT engineer verified.. More apologies and another hub promised that never arrived, more phone calls (costing a fortune when all added up) then eventually a hub 5, not the newest one as promised but better than nothing, except that BT have only gone and charged us for it!!! 2 months of waiting and they whack a 90 odd pound bill onto the normal bill (charged for both hubs which we were told would be free) I had no intention of paying as I dont pay via direct debit, EXCEPT it seems BT have suddenly decided just to remove the bill from my bank account anyway!! Surely they cant do this?. The only thing I can think it is from is as a thanks to my son I got him a mobile phone from BT which I knew would be direct debit, but I never gave BT the permission to take the landline,broadband and wifi out of my bank account via direct debit as well, just the mobile phone contract.. This is an utter shambles by BT, it takes an hour to get through on the phone only to get cut off most of the time and then treated like an imbecile.. Now to add insult to injury after using the phone for just over a month with no problems, my son had the the 2GB data worked out and said it seemed well enough if the first month was anything to go by, plenty left over etc. But I've just looked after only 10 days into the 2nd month I've been charged 40 pound because he's gone over his data by a measly 360mb, something he cant understand as he says he's used it less if anything than the first month so how the hell has it run out within a week when it lasted 4 weeks last month with some left over.. . I really need help with all of this because at 80 year old it's too much stress, charged well over £130 for things we shouldn't have paid for, BT taking direct debit without permission and STILL the wifi is not secure.. My son says hell post onto the broadband help because he's at a loss, we have no option to change broadband username and password, the DHCP settings never change. Had it up to here with BT recently, contract or not they can get **** unless they sort this mess out.. Dee
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Lithurge
Beginner
Message 2 of 3

Re: From £0 to £200, BT took direct debit when I don't pay that wat

Go to solution

Sorry can't help with your wifi issue, but your direct debit issue falls under the Direct Debit Guarantee. This means that BT have to give you a decent amount of notice, usually at least 10 days, of the amount they are going to take. If they failed to give you this notice then they shouldn't have taken the money and you can dispute it with your bank.

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/directdebitguarantee.aspx

A note of caution - check any correspondance you had with them, both paper and online to make sure they didn't give this notice.

Having said that one thing I'm not clear on is how you paid your bills prior to taking out the mobile phone for your son? For example if you received them through the post and paid them by cheque did you stop receiving these paper bills after getting the phone?

Domin8
Message 3 of 3

Re: From £0 to £200, BT took direct debit when I don't pay that wat

Go to solution
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. To answer your last point first like I said we have had BT phone line since almost forever, before it was non negotiable to pay any other way except via direct debit, ive always just paid via my debit card when the bill arrived. Obviously almost everytime while making the payment I've been hassled mercilessly to switch to direct debit, which up until now I've managed to resit.
Its all from one bad experience where almost a £1000 was taken out by mistake by another company, they admitted the mistake but tried every trick in the book to refuse paying back the money straight, offered to put it as debit, in gift vouchers and God knows what else, took us over 12months for them to refund the cash.
Thanks for the advice about the direct debit, as I said there was no mention of it, except for the new mobile phone which I made an exception for 😕 should have stuck to my guns as getting stung the second time doesn't hurt any less.
Thanks again, I'll brace myself for an hour long wait in BTs cue, hoping I don't get cut off 2 mins into talking to someone, wait for a call back that never arrives. Now I'm just being sour ha ha.
0 Ratings