cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Frustrating BT

Big one this. been going round in circles for days and now confused, totally.  Newish computer started acting up when on BT and becoming unworkable.  Reset it and ok at first then first BT contact it goes back to square one again.  Got so fed up bought a new computer.  Set it up, all ok, installs BT and starts all over again.  Just reset this one and same **bleep** happening.  Can't get on to MyBt and sort things out as it won't accept me as the account holder.  Missus first set up phone so it's in her name, doesn't do computers, so it's up to me.  Get in touch with BT by phone, it's quicker, yeah alright.  Over half an hour to get through, bad line and can hardly hear the bloke even when hearing aids up to full vol.  Get the missus to talk to him, she can't understand him, Indian accent, not his fault.  Tries to explain that we want account changing to my name so I can do what I need to do, told to wait and then line goes totally dead.  This has happened before, told to wait and then nothing.  Things have been **bleep** up since BT Openreach worked on lines and boxes in the area, started last November and in my opinion there is something wrong with the line.  Used to work in comms analysis so understand a little bit of signal paths.  Anyway,  just reinstalled my computer back to square one and still no joy to get MyBT to recognise me, BT takes the money from my name each month but won't let me do anything with my computer.  I have a feeling I've been network compromised somewhere along the line so now got two computers with nothing wrong with them but can't do anything.  Any ideas anyone, BT Telephone Comms dismal considering it's supposed to be a communications company.  Can't do anything else at the moment because once I come of this I will be back to square one?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Frustrating BT

@S4Brains 

BT cannot change the name on the account, apart from a very few exceptions.

If you are not the account holder, then there is nothing you can do anyway.

The account holder would have to cancel their service, and you would have to open a new account in your name.

If you have problems with your broadband, the is it normal broadband, or superfast broadband?

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Well if I can't change the account to me then I am goosed, I'm the only one who does computing.  If we have to cancel with the original holder then I might as well just go to Sky and take the financial hit.  Supposed to be Halo2 broadband.  Phone calls ok when eventually get through after three quarters of an hour, listening to rap music gets on my nerves after 30 seconds, not good for 77 year olds.  Talking to the bloke, or the missus was, told to hold, music kicks off again then suddenly click, then nothing no tone, no music, no reply, totally dead.  Thing is I was on BT Cloud, which I'm trying to get onto to recover my files etc which I had when I changed computers but BT  Cloud won't recognise me to reinstall and what I used originally to get onto the Cloud I haven't a clue, I've been with BT since 1999 and just carry on with passwords etc that I originally used.  If there was a way to sort it then I would but it's impossible because communications are impossible with BT which is supposed to be a communications company, it's a joke.

0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Re: Still waiting for an engineer and activation

I'm getting there. In utter confusion because of what's been going on, still waiting for 0800 appointment with engineer to materialise. It's now 0950. Will put up result when I get one. Tks.
0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Re: Confused

Sorted, copper wire not installed properly outside the property, or something like that, didn't get a full diagnosis. Did Fibre Installation course many moons ago so pretty aux fait with the way signal paths go and knew there was a problem, it was convincing BT and OpenReach that this was the case that caused anger. At least they now agree with me that it was a line fault. Wish I had the gear to downstream monitor, I would've sorted it myself then. Oh well.
0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Re: I want to leave BT they are the most useless organisation I know of

My prob sorted and it was the copper at fault, like I've been saying for bloody months and BT and Openreach not taking any notice of me. Was a Comms Analyst in days of yore so know a bit about how signal paths work but you might as well talk to the wall as talk so the people on the end of the line. The engineer knew what I was on about and sorted it.
0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Sorted, I was right, there was a problem with the copper line. Ex sigs analyst so knew what I was on about, it's convincing someone on the end of a phone, if it's working, that is difficult. Sorted broadband out myself by putting the correct leads on, which I would've thought the installation engineer would've done. BT and Openreach are still rhubarb but the others are no better apparently. Lamentable service that's for sure.
0 Ratings