cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarrenWatkins81
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Full fibre capacity issue

Hi all, apologies this is a bit long-winded...

After Openreach installed fibre cabling in my street last September, I transferred to BT in the hope of getting full fibre (FTTP). 

After much checking, I was eventually advised in January that I could arrange to have FTTP installed. An appointment was made (after a couple of failed attempts) for March 15th. On March 15th, my phone line was disconnected, but no-one from Openreach turned up. 

On investigation, I was advised by BT that Openreach had a "complex capacity issue". Since that point, I have been left without a broadband supply (the phone line was reconnected around 6 weeks ago).

I have been back and forth with BT more times than I care to remember. I have tried raising a CEO complaint, and sought advice from Ofcom. I have had multiple failed appointments and multiple failed promises of resolution and/or updates.

Has anyone ever experienced this kind of level of ineptitude? If so, how much further did you have to take it? And how long before you were reconnected to a working service?

Any advice or similar situations are welcome!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Gary_C
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Full fibre capacity issue

Half the problem stems from BT (your provider) are the only people you can talk to, but its Openreach that are having the issues and they will not talk to you as your not their customer.
I can only think to keep at it.
BT should be able to provide you with a 4G router so that you can at least have the internet back until its resolved. Hopefully a mod will be along to advise how to get the temporary arrangement organised (I take it you are now a BT customer ?)

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Enter your phone number and post results. Remember to delete number

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DarrenWatkins81
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

I do actually have a couple of mini hubs that BT have provided. They are less than adequate though, very temperamental and constantly dropping signal. As a temporary measure for a few days or so, they would be fine, but for almost 3 months I'm about ready to throw them out the window lol

0 Ratings
DarrenWatkins81
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Hi. I'm finding it difficult to post a screenshot as the file is too large. However, I should point out that I have been a regular user of the wholesale checker, and FTTP for my area is in "Planned" status. I was advised though, by both Openreach and BT that an appointment could be booked for installation as it was in fact available, the provision was there. This capacity issue only came to light after the subsequent failed appointment and phone line disconnect.
0 Ratings
karenfraser
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

we ordered FTTP on the 22nd of April this year, this was after Openreach upgraded the overhead cables for the service last December 2020, on the 14th May this year we contacted BT to enquire how many visits we would need from an engineer as we had heard it sometimes takes 2, we were informed by BT customer service that it would be 1 visit required, but that the planed upgrade to FTTP on the 17th of May was not going ahead because the order didnt go through BT Wholesale [ lucky we phoned or we wouldn't have known ! ] since then up to a week ago we must have spoken to 20 different people all give different reasons for the order not going through from wrong address details, system failure, capacity issue and even "complex" capacity issue, the order has been canceled, the cancelation didnt go though, but nobody noticed for nearly a month, it was canceled again and the service reordered and was told that it was sorted and now going through, the service live day was the 8th of July, it came and went and was then told it was a capacity issue AGAIN !  this is after probably 20 failed call backs, they just dont call back, umptean failed updates from diffrent people, we have probably made 30+ calls to try and resolve and chase up the calls that never arrived, one person from the "Fibre Team" was very rude and arrogant and told me we can go elsewhere !!

as a temporary solution we have been offered Fibre to the Cabinet, what i dont understand is if there is a capacity issue at the exchange IE currently no room for another fibre line, how can there be a fibre line to the cabinet we can use, surely that can be used from the exchange to the cabinet to the premises ?   also as we keep telling BT we are already on FTTC and have been for many years their records say we are on copper from the exchange to the house when we are clearly not. i have an email from openreach to say the system and lines are installed and ready to go, all they need is the order from BT Wholesale, i have also spoken to a couple of local Openreach engineers who say the infrastructure is more than capable of taking our connection and many others to.

the incompetence is astounding, i thought BT was the supposed to be the top Telecoms company out there, instead they come across as a bunch of amateurs. we keep getting told: we are waiting for an update from BT Wholesale, the last comms from the Fibre team hinted that this was going to take a very long time to resolve, this really is not good enough, anybody got any ideas or even a contact with in BT i can badger?

0 Ratings