cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gz00
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Half a home move

On the 18 November we notified BT via the portal that we would be moving house on 14 December (same exchange area).  We received several confirmatory emails and texts to say all was going as planned.  On the day I arrived at the new house the telephone and broadband was working on the previous owners account, but later on in the afternoon out existing telephone number transferred over but the broadband was cut off.  That was the Friday on the Saturday I phoned BT and was assured that broadband would be restored by the end of the working day, it wasn't.  On Sunday I phoned BT again.  First time I was cut off, 2nd time the lady I spoke with was helpful and said she would find out what was going on and phone me back. 2 hrs later I was still awaiting a call back so I rang again.  This time the helpful man said I would not be reconnected until 17th at the earliest, today is the 18th and I still have no broadband and no idea when I will get it.

Can anyone advise me what redress I have with BT. Can I sever the contract without charge because of this failure?  I am about 12 months into an 18 month contract and I’m pretty fed up with them.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Half a home move

Welcome to this user forum.

Was the phone line activated on the 14th, when you moved in, as the broadband provision task cannot even be issued until all the phone related orders are complete.

The broadband job would be issued to Openreach, and would be added to their queue. Its a very busy time of the year for them, so that may be the reason for the delay.

If you were promised an activation data, then you can claim some compensation for any delay.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9394/~/customer-service-guarantee

Look under "daily rental credit"

A small  delay in provision would not be grounds for cancellation.

0 Ratings
Gz00
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Yes when the phone was activated i.e. my existing number changed over to the new address, the broadband was deactivated. Does 4.5 days constitute a small delay in provision?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@Gz00 wrote:

Yes when the phone was activated i.e. my existing number changed over to the new address, the broadband was deactivated. Does 4.5 days constitute a small delay in provision?

It can be longer than that, it depends on how busy Openreach are, as they do the work for most other providers as well, BT Retail do not get any priority.

You can check the progress, by logging into your MyBT account.

You will get a message once your broadband is active.

You may find this thread of interest, for this time of the year https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Time-to-go-live/m-p/1908527#M104484

0 Ratings