Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sonjarosa
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Half price Fibre Broadband - Home essentials

Go to solution

Good morning,

I just saw on the Guardian today (04/05/2021) that BT will offer half price Fibre broadband for people on some benefits (universal credit, the guarantee credit element of pension credit, jobseeker’s allowance, income support, and employment and support allowance).
I would like to know if this is only for new subscribers or  will the old ones have access to this plan?

Thanks for any clarification,
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
ocoste
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

BT Home Essentials for Existing Customers?

Go to solution

Hi Folks, does anyone know if BT will allow existing customers to transfer from current contracts to the soon to be launched 'BT Home Essentials' package?  

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 3 of 9

Re: BT Home Essentials for Existing Customers?

Go to solution

Hi @sonjarosa and @ocoste 

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I hope you don't mind I've merged both of your questions into the same thread.

Yes, to benefit from BT Home Essentials, you will have to tell us that you want to be moved to a Home Essentials plan when it becomes available.  We will stop selling BT Basic to new customers once BT Home Essentials launches.

From the end of June new and existing BT customers will be able to apply for Home Essentials online, and will be able to find out if they are eligible instantly.

Thanks

Neil

ocoste
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Neil. 

Thanks so much for your reply. Reassuring news during difficult times. 

Sorry if I posted in wrong topic area. 

Ta again. 

sonjarosa
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
NeilO, thank you for merging my post! S.
0 Ratings
martin93
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

If i move to BT Home essentials will i have to return superhub 2 and WiFi disc i have (i still the superhub 1 as I wasn't asked to return it) I am 

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@martin93wrote:

If i move to BT Home essentials will i have to return superhub 2 and WiFi disc i have (i still the superhub 1 as I wasn't asked to return it) I am 

If you have complete wi-fi and move to any non-complete wi-fi package you'll be sent a returns kit to send the equipment back, the hub possibly not, the disc(s) definitely.
Also bear in mind the speed will be reduced to up to 40 mbit down and 10 mbit upload, this depends on the speed you currently get if your line can recieve faster.

0 Ratings
martin93
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks , I am looking to change to the £20 BT Home Essentials (67mbps and Unlimited Calls) so speed isn't a issue

0 Ratings
gullsfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I've just seen this new scheme for people on certain benefits.

A member of my household would qualify for this scheme and would basically cut our charges in half which would be very welcome.

All looks very promising but heres where it all starts to go pear shaped. The bt account is currently in my name not hers so I ring up and explain the position.

So to cut a long story having just taken out a new 18 month contract I have to wait until that expires before I can cancel and take out a new contract in the name of the person who qualifies for the benefit.

So how much will it cost me for early cancellation of my contract I ask. £455 is the reply!!

I've been a bt customer for 40 odd years and as usual loyalty pays dividends.  I'll certainly be going elsewhere when this contract ends!

0 Ratings