Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 34

Re: Halo is here

Go to solution

@garybs29 

What you are missing is now that you have moved onto Halo 2, you are giving up the chance of discounts down the line equivalent to that of a new customer.

Im on regular fibre 2 and pay around £40 for that. If, when it comes up for renewal BT are offering Fibre 2 to new customers for £35, then they will be obliged to offer me that same deal.

Now, lets say I move to Halo, im paying £43 a month, and when it comes for renewal BT are offering Fibre 2 to new customers for £35, but Halo to new customers for £57

BT will NOT be obliged any longer to offer me the fibre2 £35 deal because Im on Halo... And Im hardly likely to want the "new customer" halo deal 😄

If when my Fibre 2 contract is up, and BT are offering new customers a better deal, I get that deal.

When your Halo 2 contract is up, you are unlikely to get a better deal because they are seemingly intentionally overpricing Halo 2 for new customers

This is my concern. its basically a trick to save them offering customers better deals down the line. (which is why they are going so hardcore on promotional emails, letters etc)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 22 of 34

Go to solution

@dimspace 

Where did you see that BT are obligated to offer you the same deal as new customers get when you recontract - I think you are wrong. The latest tariff document 13 December states that when you go out of contract your price will increase by no more than £8pm. To get a decent deal at that point you will still need to haggle.

Where you use a move to Halo for £43pm and reach the out of contract period you won't be put on the £57pm new customers but will be paying £43 plus any inflation increase.

When moving to a new package you also need to factor in the price of any new phone package as they have changed significantly.

If I was offered Halo for £3 more (which is unlikely) then I would take it as in my case I would be changing my anytime calls costing £7.99pm to the 500 minutes plan costing £5pm - ie my monthly cost rises by 1p plus if I then don't change the packages all I get hit with year on year is the inflation increase..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 34

Go to solution

Interesting posts here https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Halo-benefits/m-p/1991313#M115292 and here https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-Halo-1-question/m-p/1986211#M114604

As @tanchel says "smoke & mirrors" 😁

@conradwrote "Where did you see that BT are obligated to offer you the same deal as new customers get when you recontract". Included in the emails promoting Halo was a price promise stating that upon reaching the end of your 18 month contract you would be paying no more than a new customer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 34

Go to solution

@robotman1 

@robotman1wrote:

@conradwrote "Where did you see that BT are obligated to offer you the same deal as new customers get when you recontract". Included in the emails promoting Halo was a price promise stating that upon reaching the end of your 18 month contract you would be paying no more than a new customer.

I was commenting on this in message 21 

"Im on regular fibre 2 and pay around £40 for that. If, when it comes up for renewal BT are offering Fibre 2 to new customers for £35, then they will be obliged to offer me that same deal."

This isn't a Halo product and it was  in the subsequent paragraphs  that a move to Halo was used with the implication that the poster couldn't change back to Fibre 2 for £35 which he wouldn't have got anyway in the first place - that's all.

Also wasn't the main price promise with Halo that at the end of the contract there was no increase in the cost at all (ignoring inflation) ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 34

Go to solution

@conrad  "Where did you see that BT are obligated to offer you the same deal as new customers get when you recontract - I think you are wrong. The latest tariff document 13 December states that when you go out of contract your price will increase by no more than £8pm. To get a decent deal at that point you will still need to haggle"

OFCOM changes from March 2020

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2019/fairer-prices-for-broadband-cu...

"BTSky and TalkTalk will allow their out-of-contract customers to get the same deals as new customers, when they take out a new contract."

Me being on Fibre 2 and renewing Fibre 2 at the same rate as new customers is a contract renewal.

Me being on Halo, and at the end of my contract switching to Fibre 2 is not a renewal. Will the "same deal as new customers" apply to changing contracts?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 34

Go to solution

Some reading for you guys https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/05/ofcom-force-end-of-contract-notices-for-uk-broadband-a...

designed to help tackle the so-called “loyalty penalty” and will keep consumers informed about the best available deals

Under the new system providers will be required to issue End of Contract Notifications to existing subscribers (usually between 10-40 days before the end of your contract). This letter or email will include the end date of your current minimum term, details on the current package and what you’ll be paying if you stay etc.

Notification Details

* The contract end date;

* The price paid before this date;

* Any changes to the service and price paid at the end of this period;

* Information about any notice period required to terminate the contract; and

* The best deals offered by their provider, including telling loyal customers what prices are available to new customers.

Providers will also be required to send a notification to all existing customers whose initial contract term has ended (sent “at least” annually). As above this notification would contain details of any changes to their price or services and let them know their options (upgrades, deals etc.). On a mobile plan this must include at least one SIM-only deal for customers on bundled handset and airtime contracts.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 34

Go to solution

The best deals offered by their provider, including telling loyal customers what prices are available to new customers

It still baffles me as to why people are paying for something they will be legally entitled to anyway 😂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 34

Go to solution

@nothappycustomerwrote:

Received phone call asking for feedback from  BT employee wanting to tell me about improvements BT was making. Listened politely to his talk. BT was making broadband available in every room of your house, call centre in this country, home calls to fix broadband problems etc. He was sending out a new hub. If my old hub is working fine for me I don't even need to plug the new one in. Received the new hub and wasn't going to bother with it but CHECKED ONLINE. Imagine my surprise to learn my broadband package had been changed to halo 2. There was no mention of a new contract or a new price during the phone call. Phoned to complain and get my package changed back on 21 December and that was the last I heard from them. As of 5th January have still not heard back. They were supposed to send me a grey addressed bag to return the package via the post office, but needless to say, no word from them yet. Either they have been celebrating Christmas, Hogmanay and New Year for the last couple of weeks or they have no intention of sending me the bag to return their stuff in. BE WARNED EVERYONE - If you get a phone call asking to talk to you about improvements BT is making, tell them you are not interested and hang up fast. Will post back if I hear from them and manage to get rid of the unwanted and unsolicited **bleep** they sent me.

From another thread. 

There's definitely something behind this push to Halo. Im getting 2-3 marketing emails a week, latest one offering me a free amazon echo dot to upgrade. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 34

Go to solution

Same here @dimspace and the more I look at it the less appealing it becomes. I had a friend who's a bit of a legal eagle look at the contract terms and package content and his advice is to stay clear. Make of that what you may, but he says BT are only making you pay for some 'perks' you will be entitled to by law anyway 😂

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 30 of 34

Go to solution

I've heard it all now. So by law every person in the country is entitled to double the mobile data than what they're paying for (an example) I'm also pretty certain that a major company like BT would have their own lawyers, but hey what do i know