cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gingerjo
Message 1 of 7

Harassment & Bullying By BT (Disgusted)!!!

So about 2 weeks ago i got a mystery bill of £200 so I contacted BT about it as i could'nt pay it they told me to cancel my direct debit and they agreed that i could pay it in a few weeks.

But today I get a call for  a woman from BT demanding payment today or they would cut of my phone and Internet. I am a vulnerable person and need my telephone in case of emergency's but i can't pay the £200 today but can pay it in a few weeks as arranged.

So the call went like this,

She first demanded the money and i explained that i had already spoken with the team and they agreed i could pay it in a few weeks. She then went on to threaten me saying "we will cut you off" and "if you dont pay we will take action against you" baring in mind i have paid my direct debit every month till now i felt it was a bit excessive i could also barely understand her as she was forign. 

So I asked to speak with a super visor or a manager as i was feeling distressed by her  was not understanding i has all ready ,made an arrangement. She then went on to say I could not speak to a supervisor or manager and when i told her i would take the matter further she became abusive. I then told her i was now recording the call as she was threatening and being abusive, she went on to tell me recording the call was illegal.

I hung up shaking and scare as i felt so belittled by her, I am disgusted by the behaviour of bt an although i have 6 moths left on my contrat i am going to leave bt and take the matter to a solicitor!

WARNING DONT JOIN BT!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Harassment & Bullying By BT (Disgusted)!!!

Hopefully the Mods will pick this up and maybe expedite matters for you - they should post a link later this morning.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hi gingerjo and welcome.

I'm really sorry you've had such a bad experience with us. We certainly take these issues very seriously and I'll be happy to look into it for you. Just drop me an email with your details. You'll get the 'contact us' link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

@gingerjo wrote:

So about 2 weeks ago i got a mystery bill of £200 so I contacted BT about it as i could'nt pay it they told me to cancel my direct debit and they agreed that i could pay it in a few weeks.

But today I get a call for  a woman from BT demanding payment today or they would cut of my phone and Internet. I am a vulnerable person and need my telephone in case of emergency's but i can't pay the £200 today but can pay it in a few weeks as arranged.

So the call went like this,

She first demanded the money and i explained that i had already spoken with the team and they agreed i could pay it in a few weeks. She then went on to threaten me saying "we will cut you off" and "if you dont pay we will take action against you" baring in mind i have paid my direct debit every month till now i felt it was a bit excessive i could also barely understand her as she was forign. 

So I asked to speak with a super visor or a manager as i was feeling distressed by her  was not understanding i has all ready ,made an arrangement. She then went on to say I could not speak to a supervisor or manager and when i told her i would take the matter further she became abusive. I then told her i was now recording the call as she was threatening and being abusive, she went on to tell me recording the call was illegal.

I hung up shaking and scare as i felt so belittled by her, I am disgusted by the behaviour of bt an although i have 6 moths left on my contrat i am going to leave bt and take the matter to a solicitor!

WARNING DONT JOIN BT!

What a load of old codswallop they come up with.

As an idividual you have every right to record calls. As an individual as opposed to a business you also do not have to inform the person/business involved that you are recording the call, whereas a business has too inform you.

What you cannot do is make the recording available for third party usage.

All my calls, incoming and outgoing are recorded. It's the only way anyone will be able to speak to me.

Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 ("RIPA") allows call recording.

check the ofcom site:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/oftel/consumer/advice/faqs/prvfaq3.htm

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
tigerb
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Hi gingerjo, I read you article with great interest, in all the years I have been with BT  I have never come across anyone who has been nothing but helpful to me.

Be patient and one of the moderators or experts will look into your problem for you, They will not let anyone treat you the way you have said you where treated and get away with it..

I have great respect for these guys.

All the best Ken.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7
Moved:

0 Ratings
Seraph
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Strange how BT tend to keep their Residential/Small Business Code of Practice out of the limelight or provide this information when you query your bill.

disagree.png

Also contains information re their standards when dealing with vulnerable people.

0 Ratings