Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
charlh21
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Hard credit application search on my file - no order placed with BT

Go to solution

I was looking at Broadband packages on BT.COM on the 21st June, I chose a plan and entered my details and then noticed the statement around credit checking at this point I decided to drop out of the online journey as I am in the process of applying for a mortgage and didnt want any impacts to my credit file. Since then I have received emails to complete an order and when looking at my credit file noticed a hard credit search for a new application from BT which is very strange as I hadnt placed an order or consented to a credit check. I have contacted customer services who advised me to contact Equifax and  confirmed no details can be found about me. I have contacted Equifax who have then contacted BT directly who confirmed no details can be found about me but Equifax will not remove the search as it is up to the 'Lender' to remove this.

I can find no one to take ownership of this and I am really worried it is going to jeopardise my mortgage application. I am not a customer of BT I enquired about pricing but did not place an order, can someone help me please?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
PaddyB
Message 2 of 4

Re: Hard credit application search on my file - no order placed with BT

Go to solution

Hi @charlh21,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community. All credit checks run by BT would be done so inline with our Privacy Policy. you can find out more here - BT Privacy Policy 

If you have any question about how we use your data,  you can get in touch with our data-protection officer by emailing cpo@bt.com or by writing to the address below and mark it for their attention.

If you’d like any more details, or you have comments or questions about our privacy policy, write to us at:

PO Box 2681
BT Centre
81 Newgate Street
London
EC1A 7AJ

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
charlh21
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Hi Paddy thanks for the response, I must say I am very surprised this is deemed a legitimate interest before a customer has even committed to placing an order, it also doesnt stack up with he FAQs around credit checking on the website that I have read as these only specifiy after you have placed an order.

0 Ratings
Jenstress
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Hi Paddy,

A BT credit hard search has appeared on my credit rating. It is clearly a fraudulent one as the wrong DOB was used. However, it has still been recorded against me. Can you tell me how to go about reporting a fraudulent credit request?

0 Ratings