cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ludicrousgib
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Having a nightmare - any advice welcomed!

Go to solution

I am having an absolute nightmare trying to get Infinity. I would be very greatfull if anyone could lend me some advice. 

We moved house back on the 01/07/13 - We had a BT landline / infinity connection in our previous address. A few weeks prior to the move, I phoned BT to inform them that we were moving, to transfer our phoneline and internet connection.

The troubles began then, as BT didnt recognise the postcode - it was a new build house, so not completley out of the ordinary. The salesperson I spoke to initially told me infinity wasnt available in my area - although how she knew that when according to her my postcode didnt exist, is beyond me. I tried to convince her it was, as after much detective work, using the postcodes surrounding my property Infinity was available. I also took a drive around my house and couldnt find a single street box which wasnt Infinity enabled.

I eventually admitted defeat, and went with her recommendation of; getting the phoneline installed first, and then completing the infinity order. It wasnt ideal, but it would have to do.

The phoneline was installed (after the original install date being put back by a fortnight - without explanation) by a very stressed (but helpfull) engineer - stressed as he had the wrong postcode for our property (because our postcode doesnt exist, obviously! and the wrong contact number, despite giving BT a correct one)

Once the line was installed, I contacted BT to now try and order Infinity, to be told, in no particular order:

- My postcode doesnt exist

- I cant get any service

- I dont have an account with them

- I should be able to get Infinity, but something needed to be signed off by a manager, so I would be contacted within 2 days, once it had been.

I left it at that, and unsuprisingly, nobody got in contact, despite giving them the correct contact details for the 2nd time.

I decided to give them another call, and once again was passed from pillar to post, getting varies responses, although non of which helped me whatsoever. I finally ended up in a call centre in India, who then informed me I had an order on the system, which was being installed in the next couple of days.

Excellent, so, I should expect the engineer on that day then? I asked. To which the Indian call centre replied that I didnt need an engineer visit. I am hardly an expert, but I'm fairly certain I needed an engineer for infinity, so I queried her on this, to which she put me on hold, and soon got back to me saying an engineer would attend on that day. Excellent.

I checked they had the correct contact details, which I had given twice previously, but alas, they still had the wrong ones, so after giving them the correct details for the 3rd time, I hung up, feeling fairly confident.

Installation day came, and, after booking 1/2 a day off from work, no engineer turned up. I contacted BT, explained the whole situation again, to be informed my order had been cancelled, pending further checks. I'm assuming they need to send out an engineer to double check my post code does infact exist, just incase I've been lying the whole time. Of course, nobody contacted me to inform me my appointment had been cancelled. That conversation was left with (something along the lines of) "we need to do further checks on your line before we can proceed, which we are doing on *date*, so someone will contact you on *same date* to let you know the outcome". Oh right. Better check you have the right contact details, oh, no, you dont. Ok, here are the correct contact details for the 4th time.

So here I am. My latest promised contact has been and gone, and I have very little will to phone the contact centre and explain everything over again, to be told half a dozen different things by half a dozen different BT employees.

I dont really know what to do. According to https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and every other checker I can find, I can get BT infinity. 

I currently have a BT Infinity package on my account (on my BT) - but I am not being charged for it. 

Should I attempt to place an order via the website? Chase up my latest missed contact regarding checks on my line? 

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Having a nightmare - any advice welcomed!

Go to solution

A member of the moderators team will no doubt be in touch once they have read this post. They are a UK based BT Team who have a good record of sorting out problems such as this. If they can help they will contact you via this post.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

We certianly should be able to get this sorted out for you ludicrousgib. If you fill out our contact form (the link to which you can find in my profile under "about me") we'll get this picked up and looked at as soon as we can.

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ludicrousgib
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply Dean. I have sent an email via the contact us link, with the correct contact details, as I know how difficult it is for BT to keep hold of these! I'll keep my fingers crossed someone gets in touch with me.

Thanks.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution
the mod team will contact you back personally within the next few days
0 Ratings
ludicrousgib
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

I decided to give BT a quick call in my lunch break, as, due to the amount of time spent speaking to the automated service, I feel we have developed a bit of a special bond.

A very helpfull (but poorly sounding) young lady gave me a direct number to a department who would undoubtably be able to resolve my problems. Unfortunatley, the direct number, which was for house moves, had no idea why I would of been given their number.

She did however inform me my call back is scheduled for today, not yesterday, as I had been previously told. They would definatley get in touch with me today, although, it depends on which shift the gentleman who is dealing with my issue is working, or if indeed he is working today. So he's definatley going to call me back today, although he may not be in work? Such an impressive level of commitment by BT's staff is to be commended, calling their customers on days off. Just to be on the safe side, I gave the poorly sounding lady my contact details, as I know these have a habit of dissapearing. Must be something to do with the imaginary postcode I live in.

0 Ratings
ludicrousgib
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Well, to their credit, someone from BT India did call me last night. Im not entirley sure what it was they actually called for though, due to some obvious language difficulties. Still, I politley agreed with whatever it was they were trying to say, thinking I'd just call back and speak to someone with a stronger grasp of the English language, who could hopefully explain better.

Which is what I did.

After a painfully long wait I got put through to an operative, and explained that I lived in the Bermuda Triangle of the internet world, in an imaginary postcode, despite being in the centre of a first world town. Unfortunatley she couldnt help me, as she was using a different system than the one which was needed to deal with my issue, and she would transfer me to someone who could help. I went on to explain that I had been going around in circles for several weeks, and whoever I had been transfered to on multiple times, either passed me on to someone who also couldnt help me, or quite simply disconnected me. I was assured this wouldnt be the case this time however, and she placed me on hold to some cheerfull sounding music.

The good news, was that was the shortest time I have ever been on hold to BT.

The bad news, was that after 20 seconds I was disconnected.

I did try speaking to the dial tone, explaining my issue once again, as by now I've come to realise I've as much chance of getting help from inanimate objects as I do from an actual BT employee. However, this didnt seem to cause any form of reaction and so, I gave up.

My better half, who has been struggling to grasp why we still have no internet, decided she would show me how its done, and took the phone out of my hands, as I decided to head out for a few hours. 

This was all quite new to her, and I admired her determination to get our issues resolved, although her determination soon turned to frustration when she came upon various complications, including:

- Being told we dont have a phoneline. We dont, We're calling you from a plastic cup attatched via a bit of string to a telegraph pole.

- Being told we already have Infinity installed, an Engineer came on Friday and did it. How nice of him to let himself in and do it without disturbing us in any way.

- Being asked if I was deceased. I was at the gym, so a heart attack couldnt be ruled out.

However, after explaining that we do infact have a phoneline, that we do not have infinity and that I am very much alive, she was told by an operative they would need to speak to a manager about this, and she was placed on hold. 20 minutes later, she was still on hold, and hung up.

Still, she soldiered on, and called back, and after another lengthy wait, ended up speaking to another operative. After explaining yet again the trials and tribulations of us and our (lack of) internet, the young woman from BT said she would have to speak to her manager about this. As the other half went on to explain how she had just been down this road with the previous phonecall, and insited she not be put on hold or transfered, the operative went on to say that there wasnt anything the manager could do that she couldnt, infact, the managers could actually do less, which makes complete sense.

The conversation went on, and ended with the operative telling my wife she would call her back tomorrow (today) at 1.15pm, with some concrete answers. My wife, still somewhat of a novice with dealing with BT, made the classic mistake of actually believing this. The operative went on to say, she would come in early to speak to her. Much like the employee I had previous dealings with, who was going to call me back on his day off, the commitment levels shown by BT employees is astonashing. Or it atleast would be, if they followed through with what they said.

Still, my wife, after 2 hours on the phone was by now understanding my pain, and went along with what she was being fed. She explained to the operative that she wouldnt be in at 1.15, and so she gave them her contact details.

I'm sure they'll keep hold of those this time.

0 Ratings
SlamminUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

😕

This isn't even my issue and I'm feeling frustrated. I feel your pain! This is ridculous. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Have you considered another provider?

0 Ratings
ludicrousgib
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

And so the saga continues...

Well, no phonecall came yesterday as promised, to the point where my other half again had to pick up the phone to BT, once again spend half a lifetime on hold, to be passed from pillar to post, to come away with half-hearted answers, empty promises and no solutions.

After giving it much thought, I decided infinity is becoming more trouble than its worth. I have a working phoneline, so lets just get ADSL up and running, I mean, we have the phoneline, a bit of work at the exchange and I'll be away, can't be that difficult. 

Or so I thought.

After being on hold for 30mins this morning, I finally got through to a gentleman and attempted to place an order for the ADSL service. After explaining our troubles after a recent house move, he then informed me I was in the wrong department, that I would need to speak to BT Care (or something). Great. Put back on hold for another 20 mins.

I get through to the next department, and once again explain, to be told, no - im definatley in the wrong department this time. I explained that I've been passed from pillar to post over the last 8 weeks, and am yet to be put through to the right department.

I gave him my details, to which he replied: "but you already have infinity"

No, I really dont. 

To his credit, he did seem helpfull. I gave him my postcode so he could do a check of some description, but obviously, my postcode doesnt exist, well, according to BT it doesnt. My bank, 2 credit card companies, the gas company, the electric company, the post office, the local council, the binmen and the next door neighbours cat can find it. So unless I'm living in a paralell universe, I'm pretty sure it exists.

The best he could do, was to send an email to another department, to get some checks done. Sounds familiar? Because it is. Thats what I was told weeks ago, when someone was supposed to call me back with the results, but never did.

He told me someone would be in touch in the next few (working) days, although it may be a bit longer as they are busy. So, realistically, at best, end of next week. So that will be ANOTHER week gone. Another week gone, not for any service mind, just another week so these "checks" can be done.

heres a check for you:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/postcode-finder

put my address in there, and see my postcode does exist.

So, yet again, Im stumped. I've pretty much given up on getting infinity, despite living in an infinty area. I was hoping getting ADSL would be a simpler option, but it turns out my hopefulness was pre-emptive.

Please. 

Help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution
just let Dean and the forum mod team deal with this for you and from now on avoid calling any part of BT as you can cause confusion by doing so the mod team will contact you personally once your mail reaches the top of there mail queue
0 Ratings