cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: Having a nightmare with BT and Openreach

Have you posted the entire entry for you address from the ‘wholesale checker ‘ ?, 

If an area has FTTP access ( and it does appear that you do have FTTP albeit showing ‘waiting list’ and 330Mb instead of 1000Mb ) could suggest some non standard issues .

If your address is housing association owned , have they given permission for OR to install FTTP , depending on the type of address and layout of the ‘neighbourhood’ it’s possible that FTTP equipment has to be wall mounted and Openreach don’t have any ‘right’ to install equipment on private property like they do in the public footpaths, are you aware of any possible issues like this ?

Although understandable, there are many network providers , not just OR , have you enquired with any of those other networks why you cannot get their FTTP , are you equally ‘angry’ with them or is it reserved just for OR  ?

As said , you do have a ‘right’ to a minimum speed of 10Mb , but solutions can be 12-24 months away once a USO application is made , and if mobile ( with an antenna if necessary ) can provide that , then that is the USO satisfied, but TBH , I suspect FTTP is accessible but there are other issues.

Some councils / housing associations have done sweetheart deals with alternative network providers and may be ‘difficult’ with anyone other than the provider they have chosen , even if that providers network may be months or years away.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

Those speeds are abysmal even for ADSL.

Are you connecting to the master telephone socket or an extension?

What type of master socket have you got (See What type of master socket have I got? | BT Help)

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

It just has a single socket with a micro filter. Fun tidbit, if my daughter slams the door in a mood or if I draw my curtains (next to the socket)  my hub starts flashing pink then goes orange for a while so I lose the tiny 3mbps I do have! Found out if I even gently touch the master socket or filter it happens, so somthings loose somewhere just no obvious signs of damage. I lived with my mum for 6 years and she had full fibre so it does feel like I'm back in the stone age. Silver lining, daugther hasnt touched her ipad in weeks, roblox won't work 😁

Message 14 of 18

If you have one, try another microfilter. I'd expect there to be two in the box the router came in.

If you have a phone connected, dial 17070 & select option 2 for a Quiet Line Test. It should be near silent with no crackling. If you do hear any noise report this as a telephone fault rather than broadband. Although you should be able to report a fault based solely on the disconnects you're experiencing.

https://www.bt.com/help/report-and-track-your-bt-problem

If you have a split faceplate on the socket you could try the test socket behind as explained here:

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/how-to-use-your-test-socket

But you could also make it worse if the bad connection is on the incoming line. We could probably help you with that but understand the risk first.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

If at all possible, use a corded phone when dialling 17070 and if I may just correct what is almost certainly a typo on behalf of @rbz5416 it should be silent with no crackling

Message 16 of 18

@Les-Gibsonwrote:

If at all possible, use a corded phone when dialling 17070 and if I may just correct what is almost certainly a typo on behalf of @rbz5416 it should be silent with no crackling

Doh!

Fixed. 🙈

Message 17 of 18

@Lydiajade94 

If you have just a single socket, then you can remove the bottom section and plug the microfilter into the test socket, and that eliminates any bad connection between the front and back sections.

adsl_test.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

@Lydiajade94 

Just to add to my last post. If you have an NTE5C, then they are known to give connection problems.

Either way, you can leave the microfilter plugged into the test socket all of the time, as it eliminates a major cause of failure.

0 Ratings