cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robotman1
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Help me understand my bill(s)

I'm on medication which can leave my brain a little muddled at times, very frustrating to say the least. Try as I might I just can't seem to get my head around my latest bill, or at least the part which deals with Sky Main Event.

I need to start with last month's bill which was straightforward enough. I took out a sub to Main Event on August 1st. My bill is produced on the 18th of each month and August's bill correctly showed a part month payment from the 1st-17th, with a further charge of £36 from August 18th - September 17th.

On to August 26th where I cancelled Main Event online, with BT stopping the service on the 27th. My bill for this month shows a refund of £24.39 which it states is a refund for the advance payment to September 17th. There is then a further charge of £36 where it states "Sky Sports Main Event HD 27 Aug 19 You cancelled this service while on contract - so this charge is for your TV to the end of your contract" (TV in this case relates only to the Sky channel).

Unless I'm just being utterly confused but it looks to me like I've been billed a total of £47.61 for one month of Sky Main Event (even though BT stopped my Sky service almost immediately after I cancelled my sub instead of letting it run until the end of my month's contract) dating from August 18th until September 17th. Surely this can't be right???

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Help me understand my bill(s)

Hi @robotman1 

Without looking in to the T&C's I would think that you would be required to give 1 months notice of cancellation, and that is going to be from when you tell them, irrespective of your billing date.

So you've had Main Event up to the 26th Aug which is the £11.61. then they've refunded £24.39 which is what's left of your normal £36 monthly subscription. The cancellation charge of 1 month has then been added, so yes £47.61 looks right to me.

Presumably the 1 months cancellation charge is to stop customers adding it for one event and then cancelling it straight after.

0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

@Andy005 

I must admit I had thought of that scenario so can well believe you are correct. Lesson learned I suppose when it comes to dealing with BT as I was foolish enough to believe the service wouldn't actually be stopped until the 17th.

As an example, I sometimes take out  a sub to Now TV entertainment and cancel it immediately, safe in the knowledge the service will run until the end of the billing period. Unfortunately BT don't work in the same sensible manner as other providers.

Anyway, lesson learned, and something to remember for the future.

Thank you again @Andy005 

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Hi @robotman1 

Did you cancel Sky Sports  online yourself  or by phoning BT ?

0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

It was cancelled online. There was no information online OR email confirmation of the end date of the service. All I knew was the following day I had lost access to the channel(s) which I thought would run until the end of the monthly billing period, the same as any other service I subscribe to would work.

I now realise my mistake, even if I feel I should have been made aware of what cancellation penalty I would face when I cancelled online, and will be very wary of further BT (or addon) subs in future, so much so that I now have my BT contract end date noted in my diary so I can move elsewhere immediately on contract end.

0 Ratings