cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Help, phantom bills after account closure

I am at my wits end, I closed my BT account in December 2015 as I had nearly 2 months of outages last year. Moved to Virgin for both phone and broadband and alls well, or so I thought .

I received a final demand for £48.98 in May 2016, no itemised bill, no letter of explanation, just a very rude automated letter saying Pay £48.98 now!.

After an hour on the phone on 13 May to a UK call centre I was told a complaint reference had been raised and that I would be called back by someone the following week, i was not offered any reason for the bill as the operator could not find any, I was told its probably for calls in January, i explained that I had no phoine line in January or Broadband it had been disconnected in December.

Guess what its now been 6 weeks, no call back,  and I got a debt recovery letter, and a further bill for £10.70.

I have not been able to get an itemised bill for either of these bills and I as I closed my account in December why should i?

After todays call to a call centre in India, I was pretty much told off for being a bit upset which i did not take kindly too. The operator was unable to tell me what the £48.98 was for and worse than that claims that the £10.70 bill does not exist on the system and it could be a mistake, she however refused to accept that the £48.98 was a mistake.

How can you treat people like this, a letter threatening bad credit ratings, appearances in court. BT the judge and the juror.

This is like dealing with a company from the dark ages. A further complain reference has been raised but I am very concerned that a further bill has landed on my doorstep. Where will this stop, what does one have to do to close their account? The operator today told me that the order to close the account was received in January, I know I closed the account in December, I called in July 2015 to do this but I was told I could not close the account until December. What is going on there BT? Shame on you for putting people through the worry of having their (umblemished) credit rating ruined because you cannot admminister your day to day housekeeping effectively, and have to appear in court. Fortunately I am fit and able to fight my corner, how would some lonely pensioner feel getting threats like these with no reason or cause?

I gave up on BT after waiting 6 weeks with no phone and no broadband last year, with no compemsation or refund and then having to face this 7 months after I close my account.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Help, phantom bills after account closure

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself

This is a public forum which can be viewed worldwide, so please do not post any personal information, especially phone numbers, account numbers, fault numbers, address information or email addresses, as this could be used to impersonate you.

Thanks

As a customer, based on other posts.

When your account was closed, you would have receive a final paper bill with all the charges explained.

These charges would have included a broadband disconnection fee of £31, plus any outstanding charges for the 30 days notice that you needed to give BT.

The amount of £48.98 would seem about right, for line rental and broadband disconnection charge.

Its going to be difficult to chase this now, during which time your debt will increase.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

I never got a final bill on closure, all I got was this final demand with no breakdown of charges. No one at either call centre could say what the charges are for.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi @nic-ex-customer,

I'll be able to take a look at this for you. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings