cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
petertaylor8
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Help with switching to BT

Hi. I'm hoping someone can help. My 80 year old father is trying to switch from TalkTalk to BT. However, the switch has failed, leaving him without broadband and TV. He is frail and has mobility problems, relies on the TV for company (despite watching repeats of the same programs over and over) and uses Skype to talk to his family, who all live away. He is especially worried because Christmas is coming and he won't be able to talk to anyone. BT have said it's a postcode mismatch problem with TalkTalk, who have therefore refused to give up the account. Checking with TalkTalk, they have the correct postcode. He's lived in the same house for 60 years, so not a new build problem. BT's only solution so far is to have a new phone line, but as he's had the same phone number for 55 years, he won't do this. Is anyone here able to help, please?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Help with switching to BT

@petertaylor8 

Was his phone number originally issued by BT, at his current address, before he moved to TalkTalk?

His TV should still work on Freeview using his TV aerial.

Does he have a current BT order for service ongoing?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

@petertaylor8 

Just a quick explanation which should help.

If his phone number was originally issued by BT, then his number is owned by BT and not TalkTalk.

If he is living at the same address when BT issued the number, then there is normally no reason why he cannot keep the number when he moves to BT. I guess that is most likely the case, from what you have said.

He would have to accept a temporary number to start with, but his original number can be manually requested.

To get any more help here, he must already have an open order with BT Retail, which I assume he has, and that is the one that has failed.

If you can please confirm all of this, then I can ask for some help.

Thanks

0 Ratings
petertaylor8
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Hi @Keith_Beddoe . Thanks for your reply. Yes, he was living at the same address when the number was issued by the Post Office originally, but presumably belongs to BT now. Yes, there is an open order with BT, presumably with BT Retail.

I agree, his Freeview should still work. I've tried explaining this to him, but he can't understand what I mean, or what buttons to press on the tv remote, and gets flustered. Due to his mobility issues, he had a neighbour plug in his BT equipment before the move, but she is 70 and refuses to change it back to see if TalkTalk still works.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

@petertaylor8 

As there is an open order, it would be best if the whole process is personally managed by one of the forum moderators. They should be able to sort out the order, and eventually be able to ensure he keeps is number. Unless you have authority to manage his account, the moderator will have to speak to him to get his permission.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
petertaylor8
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

@Keith_Beddoe 

That's brilliant. Thank you.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

If you could please update this thread once everything is resolved, hopefully fairly soon. Thanks.

0 Ratings
petertaylor8
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

I will. 

0 Ratings
petertaylor8
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

@Keith_Beddoe 

My father's landline is now giving a message saying that it is not receiving incoming calls. Does this mean that the swap is in progress, or that something has gone really wrong? I worry because he's not in the best of health and would rely on his phone in an emergency.

I checked with TalkTalk and they claimed that he is still connected to their system.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Sorry, I do not know, as I am just a BT customer. You will have to wait for a reply from a moderator.

Its possible that the incoming connection is being changed over to BT, on the main network.

0 Ratings