cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lightworker07
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Hit with BT Engineer Callout Charge 2 months after engineer's visit!

Go to solution

In September 2016, after having some carpet laid in my living room, my phone line developed a fault. 

Whenever the phone rang, my BT Infinity Hub's light would turn amber and the Broadband symbol would appear in red. They both would flash, then reconnect OK after a few minutes.

I entered into an online chat twice with Support Agents with BT, (the first was with no action being taken) the second resulted in an Engineer visit being booked. 

The Engineer came; and took one look at the setup. This "fault" was merely one wire plugged into the wrong slot. (My daughter had set the phone and broadband wires up again, and put them back together the wrong way). So the Engineer put the wires back in the right places and left. Didn't even open his tool bag...The issue was that my Broadband was being funnelled through my telephone, not through the ADSL Splitter.

Almost three months have passed. 

Yesterday evening; I was horrified and disgusted to discover that now I am being charged for this Engineer callout, nearly three months after the event! I have had bills for the intervening months, with no additional charges. 

This fault was a simple mistake; had we have known that the issue was down misplaced wires then an Engineer visit would not have been neccessary. 

I resent being charged for this 2 minute visit, especially after almost three months of said event. 

I would understand if the internal wiring of my home had been damaged by messing or tampering with the phone wiring, or through carelessness with DIY or gardening work. But nothing of the sort has occurred.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Hit with BT Engineer Callout Charge 2 months after engineer's visit!

Go to solution

I am afraid the charge applies, even if no tools where used.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

• Your main socket, due to damage you've caused
  • Your home phone extension wiring
  • The way you've connected up your equipment

Its always best to check before asking for a visit.

The charge is raised by Openreach to cover the cost of the visit, this charge is passed to your service provider, in your case, BT Retail.

It would be exactly the same charge if you were using a different provider.

Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
You didn't take the time to check your setup using the installation guide or booklet provided with the router. Therefore the charge is correct.

The time frame between the visit and the charge being levvied is irrelevant.

You would have been advised of the potential for a charge for the visit when booking the appointment.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
lightworker07
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Why is the time period between the event and billing me irrelevent? I am billed monthly and had normal billing according to service level.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
BT bill you when Openreach bill them
0 Ratings