Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy892173
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Home Move Problem

Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm due to move home later this month, within the same exchange area. Following BT's online advice telling me how easy it is to do online and to make sure I do it early; I placed a home move order only for it to be promptly cancelled! The reason BT give, is that there is a cease pending on the line and they are unable to take an order until the line has been disconneted. The current occupiers (whom I know) have asked for their services (BT also) to move on 16th and their service will also we reinstated at their new property on the 16th.

BT tell me that I will not be able to order a home move until the 17th, when I will have moved out of my existing propety and in to this one. Waiting until the 17th to be able to place an order seems crazy as I will then be at the back of the que for an engineer to do the work at the exchange.

Is this really correct? Why can they do it for one BT customer and not me? Any information would be gratefully received as this situation really doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks in anticipation

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Home Move Problem

Go to solution

@Andy892173

'Is this really correct? Why can they do it for one BT customer and not me? Any information would be gratefully received as this situation really doesn't make sense to me.'

do you know the their new property has an exting phone line and if so is it active or not  just to see if the circumstances are like yours where the existing owner is maintaining line right up to 16th so you cannot take over a line that is not yours

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

To me the OP is simply asking why he can't process the home move now to take over the existing line when the current occupiers move out which to me is what any home mover would want to do.

It seems stupid that currently he can only place an order when he physically moves into the house leaving him with no phone or broadband and potentially ,if moving on the same exchange, getting a different phone number. That isn't how a house move should work.

0 Ratings
Andy892173
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks Conrad & imjolly for your responses.

Conrad is correct I can’t understand why I’m unable to place an order for my Home move until I have actually moved. Obviously then I’m going to be left with no phone or internet for easily a week and I have had to cancel my Sky Home move, as I can’t tell them when I will have broadband available for them to set the new system up.

Hopefully some user on this community will be able to share their home move experiences and maybe help find a solution.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

What you need to ask for is a "working line takeover", this is a much quicker process and requires both parties to agree to. You do not take their phone number, but are given a different one, unless you are transferring your existing number, where this is possible.

BT sales should be able to arrange that.

The alternative is, as you have already discovered, to wait until their line is ceased, then you can place an order. You will then have to wait about 10-14 days for a new line to be provided.

What is a Working Line Takeover (or WLT)?

It's an order type which is raised when a customer wants to have a phone line connected at an address where one already exists, but the current owner hasn’t contacted us or their Communications Provider (CP) to give up their service yet.

There's an incoming customer (who's moving in) and the outgoing customer (who's moving out). Both customers could be with BT, or the incoming or outgoing customer could be new to BT or with another CP.

What are the lead times?

• Working Line Takeover with BT Retail No contact made with outgoing customer – seven working days
• BT customer taking over a line which belongs to Other CP (including MPF) – ten working days

You will not be able to take over any existing broadband connection, as that will be ceased, so you will have to apply for your own broadband connection.

If its BT Infinity you are trying to order, then it may not be possible if the fibre cabinet is full.

Have you checked to see what broadband is available at your new address?

0 Ratings
Andy892173
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks Keith. The current occupier has placed an order to cease their services at the address on the 16th. BT have even told me this. Will a working line takeover still work when this is the case?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

No, I expect its too late now, if there is a cease in progress.

I will ask a moderator for you.

Andy892173
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Many thanks Keith!!
0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Andy892173 and @Keith_Beddoe,

When a cease order is in place, as part of the home move order, you can't place any new orders to take over that line. At this stage it is too late. I'm sorry that this wasn't the answer you were looking for Andy. I agree that it would be ideal if you could just take it over for the 17th.

Thanks

DanielS

conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

So just to clarify things on a home move 

You need to request a WLT before the occupier informs their provider otherwise you may not be able to place an order until you physically move in.

Can the current occupier order a WLT prior to you without affecting your ability to then order your own WLT.

You really don't want the current occupier to have a cease order in place.

0 Ratings