cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Panman1964
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Home Move Problems

Have just spent best part of an hour on the phone to the home move team in Newcastle and have been left feeling extremely dissatisfied.

Leaving to one side the fact that the agent who initially took the call did no proper DPA checks to esure that I was indeed the account holder or that her manager displayed an inflexible approach the crux of the issue is this.

I am (reasonably) happy to move my current services within my exisiting contract to my new address (with I admit the intention of cancelling at the end of contract as I also get free TV, phone & BB from my employers and wish to save money)

The options given are:

1) The services can be moved FOC within contract onto a working line

2) To move service within contract will cost £130 for a new line to be installed.

3) Start a new 12 month contract where the £130 istallation charge for a new line will be waived

4) Terminate current contract at a cost of £230.73

Option 1 is not acceptable as that will cease service with another provider

Option 2 is not acceptable as it is a matter outside my control , why should I pay? The Home Move team were unwilling to compromise.

Option 3 is not acceptable as I have no wish to start a new contract

Option 4 is not acceptable due to the fact I am willing to move my services however see Options 1 & 2

I did make a compromise 5th suggestion which was that I pay £100.73 to terminate my contract early with BT making a goodwill gesture of £130. This was turned down.

DISCLAIMER: although I work in the industry I do not work for BT and any opinions given are purely my own.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Panman1964
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Home Move Problems

just to add there was another option given ad that was to change my billing address but keep all the services at my old address!!

DISCLAIMER: although I work in the industry I do not work for BT and any opinions given are purely my own.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

@Panman1964 wrote:

Have just spent best part of an hour on the phone to the home move team in Newcastle and have been left feeling extremely dissatisfied.

Leaving to one side the fact that the agent who initially took the call did no proper DPA checks to esure that I was indeed the account holder or that her manager displayed an inflexible approach the crux of the issue is this.

I am (reasonably) happy to move my current services within my exisiting contract to my new address (with I admit the intention of cancelling at the end of contract as I also get free TV, phone & BB from my employers and wish to save money)

The options given are:

1) The services can be moved FOC within contract onto a working line

2) To move service within contract will cost £130 for a new line to be installed.

3) Start a new 12 month contract where the £130 istallation charge for a new line will be waived

4) Terminate current contract at a cost of £230.73

Option 1 is not acceptable as that will cease service with another provider. It is not BT's fault/problem that there is only one line that is being used by another prvider. You must decide which provider you want or have another line installed. If you don't want to do that and wish to use the only line available I would imagine this will incurr charges from the present provider for cancelling their contract.

Option 2 is not acceptable as it is a matter outside my control , why should I pay? The Home Move team were unwilling to compromise. It is also outside BT's control if there is no line/ one line being used by another provider. Somebody has to pay for  a new line, why should it be BT and not you?

Option 3 is not acceptable as I have no wish to start a new contract That is your choice. If you don't want to pay, don't get the a new line and do without.

Option 4 is not acceptable due to the fact I am willing to move my services however see Options 1 & 2. If you are unwilling to do either options 1 & 2 then you have no option but to terminate your contract. You entered into a contract when you signed up with BT and it is up to you to honour it or pay to get out of it otherwise what is the point of a contract?

I did make a compromise 5th suggestion which was that I pay £100.73 to terminate my contract early with BT making a goodwill gesture of £130. This was turned down. The cost of a contract is usually worked out over the term of the contract and to terminate it early will invariably incurr costs to the party who is wanting to terminate it early. That is the purpose of a contract, to ensure fairness and no finacial loss to either of the parties. If BT wanted  to terminate it early woud you be willing to pay them a goodwill gesture for doing so? 

0 Ratings
Panman1964
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Option 4 is not acceptable due to the fact I am willing to move my services however see Options 1 & 2. If you are unwilling to do either options 1 & 2 then you have no option but to terminate your contract. You entered into a contract when you signed up with BT and it is up to you to honour it or pay to get out of it otherwise what is the point of a contract?

This is a key point. I am willig to move my line within contract however there is not a suitable line that can be used (I've also checked line plant availability on ORs portal and there are no Stopped Lines either)

Let's put aside the the Working line, If I was to move into a property that had no Working Line at all (ie had physically never had a line) then based on the advice given by the Home Movers team then they would still charge me for an install (unless I moved to a new contract)  or early termimation.

Going back to my NTL days if a customer moved to a property that could not be serviced then any termination charges would be waived.

0 Ratings
Panman1964
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Ok so I may have found a solution.

Move the services on a new 12 month contract and then immediately cancel them (without early termination charges)  within 7 Working days as per Paragraph 6 of http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/telephony.html and/or within 14 calendar days as per Paragraph 10 of http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/

Makes the whole thing a complete farce as it's wasting an engineers time to come out and install a new line that isn't needed but thats what the contract says I can do 🙂

Edit: Actually Paragraph 11 of http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/packaged-services.html makes it even easier.

Simply arrange for the "new" service to commence at a date in the future then cacel before it's activated

1. You can cancel your package without charge if you tell us to do this before we've provided any of the services in your package. You have certain rights to cancel after we have started to provide the services in your package. These rights are detailed in paragraphs 10 – 15 of the Residential Standard Terms.
0 Ratings
Panman1964
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Having finally found the right link have submitted as a complaint on ref # ************

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

I think you will find that you are actually renewing an existing contract by 12 or 18 months, by moving home and transferring your services. Do you honestly believe that BT would not be wise to what you are suggesting?

I think that you will find that by agreeing to a home move, under BTs terms, you will be unable to cancel without paying the full cancellation charges.

0 Ratings
Panman1964
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

The only way they have advised I can move within contract and without incurring charges is by "slamming" an existing working service from another provider.

Would you consider this acceptable practice?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@Panman1964 wrote:

The only way they have advised I can move within contract and without incurring charges is by "slamming" an existing working service from another provider.

Would you consider this acceptable practice?

As I am only a BT customer, you would have to ask a BT employee that question.

0 Ratings