cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robslusar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Home Move..... or lack thereof!!

So i recently moved house, and being in contract with BT intended to take my Infinity with me.

Being forward thinking, I made BT aware about 10 days before the move and they said no problem, the house has an existing BT controlled line with Inifinity so it will just be a matter of changing over once you are moved in. I was given an initial date of phone line connection of the 20th, with Infinity going live on the 24th, with these being pulled forward earlier if possible. Theys said no engineer was needed, so i could avoid taking time off work. Great I thought.

The the day after we moved (11th June) I got a call from BT India, advising that they had cancelled our order. When questioned as to why, they said by cancelling it would put us on priority to be connected faster, someone would call the following tuesday to arrange with us, but we wouldn't need an engineer to do anything at our home.

Someone did call, to say that the order had failed so we couldn't be connected earlier than the 4th July after the phone had gone live on the 20th June, sopmeone would contact us on the 21st.

Our phone line went online on the 20th, and on the 21st no one contacted me so I had to call and got through to BT India. This time i'm told the internet will not go live until at least the 7th of July... then when i complained I was told, 4th July maybe.

Now I understand that it takes time to move over, but what I can't understand is why it will take at least further 17 days after my new phone line goes live to get the Infinity fired up. I have been told repeatedly that it is a line takeover from an existing BT customer and that no engineer is needed to connect any lines, so why is it so complicated.

It is simply not good enough from a company that I am paying a considerable amount of money to. By comparision, Sky did their home move in 5 days after my move date. By the time my broadband is scheduled to be live, I will have had my house re plastered, re decorated, re carpeted and very likely new bathrooms fitted.... which is just obscene

How is it any way acceptable to treat existing customers like this? If i was a new customer, you can guarantee i'd be connected by now.

Very unhappy about how this has been handled, and had I known this when i renewed a few months back i wouldn't have!

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
deathaxe
Expert
Message 2 of 29

Re: Home Move..... or lack thereof!!

I moved in mid-may to an existsing BT line without broadband on it and the line was moved over at midday and the infinity was done at 3pm on the same day.

I have no idea why BT has made such a hash of your move, I would go back to the moving team and find out what is going on as it souns like a IT issue rather than anytrhing else.

0 Ratings
robslusar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 29

I've tried this, I keep getting BT's indian call centre, who keep putting the blame on Openreach, and as helpful as they are trying to be, they really don't seem to have any power to actually move anything forward.

My understanding has always been that as the line was in it would just be taken over and once the phone is live the broadband would soon follow. Clearly there is a lack of communication somewhere or I have been lied to from start to finish.

This is not the first time I've had issues with BT when it comes to getting Inifinity connected...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 29

You cannot actually take over the existing Infinity broadband, its done as a cease and re-provide. Once the cease takes place, its possible that the free port may have been re-allocated by Openreach, to the next person in the queue, if there was a waiting list. BT Retail do not get any priority.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

See if the status is shown as "waiting list"

Also try the UK Try the  Order Live Chat Team

0 Ratings
robslusar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 29

When I called them initially, they said that it would be a matter of switching over, as the previous owners moved out the same day as we moved in.

If what you say is the case that is one thing, but no one I have spoken to can actually give me a reason as to why it is going to take so long, or in fact even a fixed date.

It is the continuous amount of excuses that are the most frustrating, all i want is an honest and straight answer off someone... which shouldnt be hard.

To top it off, they keep sending me emails with my "new number" on, but that new number differs from the number i get when i make a call from the line in question.... couldn't make it up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 29

I am just a BT customere, however there have been a number of threads on this forum where people have moved, only to find that there is a waiting list for a fibre connection. The vendors phone and broadband connection would have been ceased.

There is not normally a shortage of phone lines, but the number that you have at the moment may be from an old "stopped" line, and would usually change to the specified number when the tasks are complete.

The same goes for normal ADSL broadband, there is usually plenty of spare capacity.

Use the link I posted to check the status of the fibre cabinet.

0 Ratings
robslusar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 29

I did use it, and both the numbers (the one they have given us and the one the house seems to actually have) both go back to boxes that are marked as "Available".

Who knows, i spent an hour on their live chat to be put through on a call, then put through to another department before they hung up on me before answering.

I don't quite know why my number differs from the one they are giving me, unless my house has 2 active lines for some reason.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 29

Hi @robslusar Sorry to hear about the problems with your broadband order.

It sounds like that there is a problem with the capacity when you have the line connected and the broadband has been delayed again. Send us your details and we'll have a look to see why your order is delayed. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
robslusar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 29

I have done, hopefully someone can clarify what is going on

0 Ratings
robslusar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 29

To update one this from last week. I was eventually contacted by Patrick from Digital Care on Friday.

It is believed that rather than activating my new phone number, Openreach have just reactivated the previous occupants number. It is possible that this action has triggered the delay in my internet connection.

I was expecting a call back over the weekend to advise, but at lunchtime Monday, I am still awaiting this phone call.

So as it stands, I have the wrong number assigned to me which will need reassigning, and still no idea what time frame all of this is going to happen in.... 

0 Ratings