cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peterpan1234
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Home improvements BT,s big con.Charging when they know they should not charge.

Below is a complaint I sent by letter..It explains it all..From Extorsion to Blackmail.
Dear Sirs,
On the 21/9/14 I woke up to find my Broadband/phone was suspended. It stated that there was an outstanding bill and that it needed to be paid and unless it was paid I could not speak to any BT customer services. I had to call a number to pay this BT bill and to find out what the amount of that bill was.
I paid this bill and spent a ridiculous one hour trying to find out why I Charged £140 appox. I was told £129.99 was for Home improvements and a recent landline charge. I was told that BT could not get in contact with the Home improvements office and that I was to call again on Monday 22/9/14. I called on that day and spent about another hour on the phone being passed from person to another. I was told by a manager from the Indian call centre that I would receive a call before 2.30pm on that day. After waiting in awaiting that call, no-one called. That in turn forced me to call again and by having to do that I had to spend about another hour on the phone. This person called me in the evening stating that he could not get through to the appropriate office, but I said he could have called me at the arranged time to state this and save me time pursuing him at a later time.
As stated I called in the evening on the 21/9/14 after the promised call  did not come to fruition. As stated I spent an hour appx being passed from person to person going over the same ground which is depressing and eventually I was put in contact with the correct person who could look at the engineers records.
I was told in previous calls that I was charged £129.99 because of a Home improvements charge. That being that an engineer called when the line was dead when I first moved in to the above address.
My defence was that the engineer fixed the fault outside the boundaries of my flat and that being so the charge was free. She looked at my records and took one second to agree that the engineer did do the work outside my boundaries of my flat.
My formal complaint is as follows,
a) BT suspended my account without giving a reason.
b) I felt that I was blackmailed under duress to pay the bill otherwise I could not use the service nor could I speak to a customer service personal about the issues.
c) Why send an engineer bill three months after the advent.
d) Why ask to pay an engineer bill when BT knew that they did the work outside the boundaries of my flat and thus it is free.
I feel BT were trying to charge me an engineer bill and hoping that I would not ask why. I find this an act of extortion.
e) Before asking me to pay a bill, BT should tell me what repairs were carried out. In this case I spent three hours in all on the phone with BT trying to find out why I was charged £129.99 and what the fault was about. Despite being told the fault was outside the boundaries I was never really told what the fault was. BT should not be allowed to charge people for a service and then not tell them what the reason is.

I feel this case should go to the commission as I feel fowl play is at hand here.
I also feel compensation due although BT have pathetic bias rules about that.
I have had also ten previous serious issues before this complaint.
I have sent a letter to your office in Durham and I want a letter response to my formal complaint and not a phone call. A phone call can be arranged after the letter. I find the issues raised are serious.
I know a Angela Townson who works in your department who dealt with previous issues and I wrote to her by email but she decided to disappear. She promised that BT tell me the reasons they are billing me before the bill is honoured. In this latest case it has happened again where BT has not informed me at all what the bill was about.

Yours not,

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Home improvements BT,s big con.Charging when they know they should not charge.

Hi Peterpan1234,

I'm sorry you were incorrectly charged for the engineers visit. If you would like our help with this please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Peterpan1234
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Re: Home improvements BT,s big con.Charging when they know they should not charge.

I have sent this letter to the Formal complaints office in Durham......So I will not be needing your help Mr Moderator.

I have noticed BT never like sending a lettered response to complaints and they like to call to solve the issues..I prefer a lettered response..I think BT phone so as to make it difficult in that by not giving a letter the commissioin cannot get an idea of your responses....Another BT con....

0 Ratings
Peterpan1234
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

They paid me back the £129.99 but my formal compaint is still going through......Believe it or not although they paid me back the money they tried to con out of me..They have just sent a bill for £22 for asking for this amount they were not entitled to in the first place..CHARGES...It a joke..Another hour on the phone to sort out a problem they started....Read my main complaint letter to get the jist of things........

It appears to me that BT are sending emails charging without good reason and if you do not respond..YOUR MONEY IS GONE OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT..

0 Ratings
Peterpan1234
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Although I got back my £129.99 that BT charged me for the home improvement engineer charge..I pondered to wonder why I was charged £15.99 on top of that as I paid £140.34........Apparently its for a line rental and checking on my records all my line rental charges have been paid up to date..So I have lodged another complaint...You will notice also that they tried to take this out of my bank account but without any explaination..That to me is illegal.

I have also noticed I was £26 in credit and then charged £26 for charges and discounts..But what for?..BT do not explain whast these charges are about.

I Suggest all BT customers check their previous accounts and compllain about any money that you have been charged without any reason given.....................

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Line rental is charged in advance
0 Ratings
Peterpan1234
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

The line rental though has been paid in advance and stilll is..One does not pay line rental 2 months in advance.

Taking £15.99 from my account without telling me the reasons why to me is illegal...They then suspend my account and state if I do not pay them, then I cannot speak to any customer support team on the phone until I do.(Duress). We are taking about £140.34 in all where they took £129.99 of the £140.34 for home improvements(engineer charge) and as stated they suspended my account and as stated the charge was false as the work carried out by the engineer was outside the boundry of my flat and thus the work should be free of charge.

Not only this BT come out with all this stuff three months after the advent..In my case BT failed to state why they were taking the money out of my bank account..That to me was unacceptable..BT have agreed.

I have also noted that I was £26 in credit looking at past statements but the £26 was taken away but they do not state the reasons why..........DISGRACE.......

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

0 Ratings
Peterpan1234
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Hi...............Thanks for your link but I already know everything there is to know about BT,s Home improvements...This link is ok for those who do not know what it is all about......I can state that in my case BT have admitted liability. They stated the engineers work was done outside the bouderies of my flat and thus I should not have been charged at all and thus returned the £129.99 to me..however..The suspention of my account and not telling me the reasons in the first place was also unacceptable...They have paid me compensation, although as stated there are other issues outstanding, incuding taking money out of my account without giving reason..and that the issues take up my a lot of my time to find those reasons..Sometimes spending three hours on the phone being passed from one persson to another.......DISGRACE.....

0 Ratings
Peterpan1234
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Hi Customers,

Although BT admitted liability with regards my case above and gave compensation..I have just been sent emaills stating they have took money from my bank account without telling me the reasons why..So I am chasing that issue.

Just had a call from BT,s Cyril Ming who is claiming BT did no wrong with a raised voice, although his colleague Lynn Clark stated BT did wrong and admitted Liability..It appears BT do not like you to be right and they will make your life hell if they are proven wrong.

They can be unpleasant..I had issues with my eyes and I still do..60% blind..I am having many operations..I had a Cataract due to a previous operation..This is where Crystillin protein cells clump together if the eye is put into shock. I had an intraocular lens put in, however, Epithelial cells grew on the back of the lens and now I need a YAG (Ytrium Aluminium Garnet)laser treatment to destroy those cells so that I can see..Its been a long journey but I believe all will be well soon...

BT Knew I was blind and yet when I had issues before with my phone that did not work for a month, I was told to get a mobile phone..Athough BT was incompetent regarding my landline they infact blamed me for making my own life difficut because I did not like using mobile phones..Disgrace....

0 Ratings