cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Home move to much slower speed

Thanks in advance

I'm am about to move homes (currently with halo 3) and have been told that the speed will go from 50mbps to 10 😳

Virgin have fiber at the home but bt don't and only have old copper wires so the aget says. 

Is there a way I can cancel the contract early due to such slow speeds obviously not being realistic for someone working from home and general online life nowadays?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Home move to much slower soeed

@Alistair3 

You would not be able to cancel the contract early, without paying cancellation charges.

The fact that your new home is slower makes no difference, you would need to take the remaining contract with you.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Well that sucks 😕

Guess I'll need to buy myself out of the contract I suppose 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

You may find that the speed you get is better than expected. Wait until you move in and see what the speed is. If its not good enough, and there is no other option, then you could then decide whether to cancel.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Thanks, the agent told me I'd be lucky to get 10mbps. I'll be honest my current speed of 50 is only just adequate for work so I'll definitely have to switch.

Contract isn't due to end till Mark 2024 so that's going to be a painful bill 😬

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Sometimes if there is FTTP, its not visible to the sales people, as they only see the copper network.

Use the address checker for your new address, on the link below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Screenshot_20220807-221354_Chrome_copy_1409x657.jpg

 thanks for your help in this 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

From the dslchecker your address can get FTTC of 80mb but there is currently a waiting list for your cabinet so you need to keep checking dslchecker until you see available then phone up and place order

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 13

And to head off the usual next question...

No, there is no actual list. It's literally a case of checking back for an available port & bagging it before anyone else does!

Message 10 of 13

@Alistair3 

You are going to get a much faster connection at your new house than where you are at the moment, once a port becomes available on the cabinet, which could be anytime, you just need to keep checking.

If you accept the slower 12Mbs ADSL2+ connection to start with, then as soon as a port becomes free, then upgrade to FTTC, it will save you an awful lot of money, and avoid the cancellation charges.

You may be surprised with the performance of the ADSL2+ connection, as download speeds tend to be more consistent than on VDSL, as the ADSL2+ equipment is located in the exchange, and has a direct physical connection to the core network.