Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awittyusername
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

House move order a nightmare!

I'm having issues with a house move.

I booked a house move for phone, infinity and TV on 2/11/15 for a move on 8/11/15. The cost was £130 as they claimed that the line had been stopped despite the previous occupier having a phone line and broadband before (not cable provided, it's not available). Naturally I was not very happy with this but begrudingly accepted it. The engineer appointment was for 12/11/15 between 1300 & 1800. Not long ago I agree but I'm currently in the military and serving overseas so I coordinated my R&R to coincide with this time period to help my wife with the move etc. etc. and took a precious afternoon out of spending time with my family to wait in. No engineer came, no call was forthcoming.

I called to find out what was going on and they said it had to be rearranged for the 16/11/15 due to an issue, the day after I went back overseas. My wife was fine with this and the engineer came on 16/11/15 but was unable to finish the installation - he explained it to her but either he dumbed it down or it went over her head - either way what she relayed to me made little sense (I'm a comms technician so I really wanted details). I sucked it up anyway as the key point she took from him would be that it would be sorted by 20/11/15 (today) and that she would not need to be in as the work at the house was done and it was something straightforward at the exchange that he couldn't understand why wasn't rectified on 12/11/15.

So, despite him saying nobody needed to be in my wife waited in today after the horror stories we have read on here about people being charged for not being in when they were told they didn't need to be and subsequently the engineer needing access after all. Yet again though, nobody turned up - which was expected as per what the previous engineer had said, but neither had out internet access been sorted out. I called again, this time from overseas at considerable expense as I did not want details to be missed.

It was difficult trying to understand what the rep was saying as there was a slight language barrier and also she was trying to relay engineer notes on a subject that she didn't completely grasp but from what I gathered after 2 days of line testing it was identified that the posts for the line to our property were unserviceable and as a result new ones had to be installed on 19/11/15. This would need a further 2 working days of testing to confirm all was well before our infinity can be activated. As I said, nobody called on the 19th or 20th to let us know this and it was only down to me calling that I found this out and that we can now expect a call on 24th to let us know that it has been sorted.

I'm not holding my breath for it a) being sorted or, b) getting a call.

Additionally, I and my wife have reiterated on every contact with BT that we are not prepared to pay £130 for line activation after the original delay which cost me a precious afternoon of my short time back home out of a 6 month deployment. Every time the rep has said they can not discuss compensation until the job has been done. I find this a little dubious as every day they delay and every appointment they miss brings us ever closer to our bill generation date and once that £130 is paid I know very well it will be even more difficult to get it back.

I know BT mods check out these forums as I have been helped in the past by a very helpful lady name Olga who was invaluable in sorting out our original order which was very complex due to being on a MoD estate - so I would really appreciate it if another mod (or even Olga; you were brilliant!) could look into this and please give me the run down on what is really going on and sort out a refund on the connection charge. I wouldn't need to pay this as a new customer, I didn't need to pay it last time, and I wouldn't need to pay it with Sky new customer or existing. I also know £130 is a lot more than what Openreach charge the telecomms companies for activations and the fact that ours has issues is not my problem. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever is holding this activation back is the same reason why we're being charge a connection charge in the first place since as I mentioned before that I know the previous occupier had phone and broadband.

Thanks for taking the time to read, I hope this helps us get somewhere as I can't be calling from out here every time BT miss an appointment or don't update us after progress has been made.

Michael Clough

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: House move order a nightmare!

Hi Michael,

Thanks for posting. I've checked our email queue and can see you've dropped us a message. We deal with emails in turn and are a little busy but we'll get to you as soon as we can.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
awittyusername
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Well, 24th came and went. Somebody from BT rang my wife though (which was a nice change!) and told her that now it was going to be on 26/11/15 in the morning. So despite it clashing with my wife's brother's Christmas concert she waited in, only nobody turned up, nothing was sorted and no call was forthcoming.

I know you're dealing with it on here but I can't not ring (despite being in the Middle East). I need to find out what is going on with this. It's disappointing that the customers have to be the ones to prompt action from BT; either a customer feedback loop within BT's processes needs some attention or it is simply non-existent.

And no doubt since refunds can not be discussed until the job is complete, this will roll on over our bill generation date and we will be charged for installation and services we have been unable to use and getting reimbursed will be another epic uphill struggle in itself - not too dissimilar to the one I'm currently battling up. Not what we need when I'm out here serving my country and my wife is having to look after two toddlers in a new house, trying to get it all sorted, all on her own.

Michael
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Hi Michael,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry the line hasn't been connected yet. Robbie is dealing with this for you and will be in touch as soon as he gets an update.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
awittyusername
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for your response DavidM.

A little more meat on the bones of my earlier post after an email from my wife - not only did nobody turn up today but my wife rang BT at 1145 and the representitive assured her that the engineer would be there by 1300, but as I said, nobody came and nobody called.

Also, she had been told to expect a call from the complaints dept. yesterday afternoon but that call never came either.

Could you please ensure that Robbie contacts me through email or on here exclusively as I can not take phone calls on my mobile in the country I am in. I do have a work mobile that I can give to him via PM if that's ok? It's an international number though.

Does Robbie have the information available to him now or are we waiting on the next time an engineer looks at the job - which could be whenever judging by the information we've been getting?

Michael

0 Ratings