cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave909
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

House move process?

OK, so seems the house we wanted to buy has eventually gone though far quicker than we expected and we are due to exchange and complete next Tuesday, 30th and have now give notice to quit this rental property.  Now here is the issue, or questions.

When we went to view the house (several weeks ago) one of the main questions we asked was internet.  The owners confirmed (and I seen the equipment myself) that there provider was BT & they had both phone line & Infinity broadband.  So strictly speaking the changing from of current address to the new one I assume should be straight forwards, as in no home visit should be required as the line should be active and so certainly no physical installation is required.  So timescale wise what notice would BT require to move things over to the new address because as said we complete next Tuesday (30th) and get the keys same day and plan on having fully moved in by the Saturday 3rd August.  Is it possible BT could get things moved over this quick if it can be confirmed there are active lines in the property?.

Also I've read past threads were people in a similar situation have been subject to an unjustified full installation charge despite that no installation has ever been required and took place and had to right to get this resolved & refunded.  And I'm keen to ensure this doesn't happen with us due to as said a line good to go in the property already.  So could anyone also clarify where a pre existing line is already in the property and was being used just weeks ago no such installation charge should be made by BT\Openreach ?, thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
-Richie-
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: House move process?

If your new address has services active already, you'll have to do what's known as a working line takeover, that means the lead time will be 2 weeks, as the current occupier will be informed that you intend to take over the line and given time to stop it, even though you know it's expected and the previous occupier will expect it, Ofcom guidelines state it must follow a process, so next Tuesday isn't possible sorry.

The other option is they can cancel but that will take around 7 days to terminate the broadband, you won't be able to place an order if the target line has a pending stop, so that will take longer.

Have the current occupiers said what they intend to do with their line ? are they not going to need to move their services as well ? if they are happy for the takeover and don't intend to move their own services, just use their connection for a few days until the takeover completes.

0 Ratings
dave909
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply, sorry I should have been more clear, the property is now vacant and has been for some weeks (hence why we can exchange & complete the same day).  So there is no active service, just the remaining lines at the address which I'd more assume remains active and ready to switch on so to speak once an active subscription service is requested at the address.  And as they moved out about 6 weeks ago either they have already transferred the service to their new address or easily have worked their termination notice by now.

I'm not sure on the status of the remaining line, maybe more dormant awaiting service activation than anything?.  But with the above in mind and if the line is good to go surely the transfer should be straight forwards?.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 4 of 7

The line will be classed as a stopped line then, which means an engineer shouldn't be needed if it's only been a few weeks, had it been a few months then it might of needed a visit, you'll find out when you place the home move order, It's worth checking the contract duration now, a home move is a good opportunity to renew or upgrade, regardless of what you do, the line contract element of the service will be renewed for 12 montha by the move, broadband renewal is optional until you change the package you have.

0 Ratings
dave909
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

We only renewed our package last month due to the price rise.  I recall from past reading a home move does tend to re contract for a minimum period.  But whilst I'd be tempted to accept this in return for a zero move\install charge (I'll get to this point) to make things easier I tend to find it a pain to ensure the same deal & price that exists now.  To many stories of not adding the same discounts that pre exist for my liking or missing certain features (like the 4k channel I had to recently fight for to get back.

But if zero work is required at the new address, what reason would there be for BT to recontract services again?.  More so that almost certainly no financial outlay or required work BT side to do this?.  Alternatively I also require reading the alternative to not having to recontract is to fund the cost on the installation work (£130 from past reading).  Yet as said, almost certainly no installation work or call out required so BT could not justify this could they as by doing so they would be charging for work and services they have not done or required?.

In any case, if the line has been merely stopped and might even have a dial tone, what would the normal time frame be to move things over to the new address?.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 6 of 7

@dave909wrote:

We only renewed our package last month due to the price rise.  I recall from past reading a home move does tend to re contract for a minimum period.  But whilst I'd be tempted to accept this in return for a zero move\install charge (I'll get to this point) to make things easier I tend to find it a pain to ensure the same deal & price that exists now.  To many stories of not adding the same discounts that pre exist for my liking or missing certain features (like the 4k channel I had to recently fight for to get back.

But if zero work is required at the new address, what reason would there be for BT to recontract services again?.  More so that almost certainly no financial outlay or required work BT side to do this?.  Alternatively I also require reading the alternative to not having to recontract is to fund the cost on the installation work (£130 from past reading).  Yet as said, almost certainly no installation work or call out required so BT could not justify this could they as by doing so they would be charging for work and services they have not done or required?.

In any case, if the line has been merely stopped and might even have a dial tone, what would the normal time frame be to move things over to the new address?.

BT will have to rent the line for 12 months, which is why your line contract is renewed for 12 months, if you just renewed for 18 months, this won't alter your existing minimum duration.

If you have FTTC then an engineer will still be required, there is work at the exchange and PCP for your connection, you shouldn't need to be at home for this, the work will be external.
So the normal time frame will be around a week, give or take a day or so, again it will be confirmed when the order is placed.

0 Ratings
dave909
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I think we can accept a few days without internet, after all will be busy with the physical side of moving, unpacking and dealing with other issues. Just awaiting completion day next week now before we trigger the house move request with BT.
0 Ratings