cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
besmirched
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

How do I leave BT during contract period?

Figured best to make a new thread as pointless keeping the other one going regarding disconnects and possible solutions.

Come Monday, if I get any more disconnects, then I just want to leave, and I want to leave without having to pay BT a fee for doing so during contract.

Am I right to assume that by failing to provide me with a reliable Fibre connection that they should not seek a fee from me leaving? Surely they've breached their own contract by having me pay a connection fee and monthly charges since April.

I will obviously need internet access from another provider. Does anyone know how best to go about this, the transition itself? What ISP to recommend, one who supplies a router that does not lose connection?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: How do I leave BT during contract period?

If the issue is a line fault, then it matters not which ISP you move to, as the line will still be the same Openreach infrastructure. The only time that would change would be if you were to move to Virgin, who have their own network.

I assume BT have tried and failed to remedy the issue with engineer visits and or, replacement equipment?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
besmirched
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

I've had no engineer visit, just replacement Hubs. They do a check on their computer, as I have done on the website, which shows no line fault, so they just replace the Hub. Although coming on these forums, it seems every other post is talking about Home Hub disconnects which makes me think there's no such thing as a working BT Hub 5 that can maintain connection.

I tried the line noise test and can hear a low hum, which is apparently normal for a cordless phone.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Insist on an engineer visit
0 Ratings
besmirched
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I'll mention it Monday then, assuming issues persist.

The other topics I've read on here, it seems other people resort to buying a third-party router to fix the problem. Isn't that indication that the BT supplied Hubs are flawed before they ever get shipped out to customers?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

there are many more who never post on forums who have no problems with their hubs I have used a hub 6 since May with no problems of any sort and there others on the forum who find the same
0 Ratings
besmirched
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Cheers for the prompt replies, John. There's at least someone listening to all these moans and groans on the forums 😉

Just had another disconnect a minute ago, this time I saw the B symbol light up in red on the front of the hub, with the usual orange strip light that's appeared on the same hubs before. The two previous hubs never lit up the B light, just the strip light would turn orange during the disconnections.

Does that B light mean this 3rd one is faulty, or am I to consider these disconnections normal during the first 10-days of setup?

BT CS chats have never mentioned this 10-day stability period, but I've read about it on other posts here.

I have a router from previous ISP, is it worth setting that up, is it easy to set it up (need specific BT info to input?) to work with BT Infinity, or do only certain routers work? It's Huawei HG633 model.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@besmirched wrote:

I have a router from previous ISP, is it worth setting that up, is it easy to set it up (need specific BT info to input?) to work with BT Infinity, or do only certain routers work? It's Huawei HG633 model.

Won't work, its an ADSL modem/router and probably locked to TalkTalk in any case. I doubt your problem is the router, more likely to be a line fault.

0 Ratings
alfonzo
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Think you answered your own question in your first post. If they are not providing the service agreed then they are in breach of contract. (After giving them a reasonable time to resolve the issue)
0 Ratings